PDA

View Full Version : Bunk boards for a 1991 PS 190

kjohnson
03-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Does anyone know the dimensions of the bunk board cross section for a 1991 PS 190? I need to replace mine. I know they are not rectangular (2"x4") as they have been planed so that they are thinner on one side.

psychobilly
03-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Boy that's strange, never heard of that. I have a 240SC and my 4 2"x6" 12 footers just arrived out at the bait camp from Joe at Ultimate Bunk Boards dot com. I can't wait to get them installed!!!

Can you post pics of these boards of yours?

east tx skier
03-21-2012, 08:12 PM
2x6x12 is correct.

psychobilly
03-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I thought it would be two 2x6x12 but I wasn't sure. I know my 240sc has 12 footers on the out sides and 11 footers on the inside but it's a much bigger boat. I got all of my mounting hardware at pacific trailers. 650 for everything shipped. The 4 ultimate bunk boards was only 480 shipped to door. Throw in the stainless bolts and galvanized brackets and I should never have to worry about them ever again. Just have to make sure not to disconnect boat until all the way down the ramp!!! Lol

-V-
03-21-2012, 08:52 PM
When we reworked the bunks on the trailer last summer, we cut angles into the wood prior to wrapping it to allow more of a guide for the boat. Instead of hitting the flat end of a 2X4, it will rub carpet that will guide it on to the trailer. Made more sense to do it that way.

psychobilly
03-21-2012, 09:23 PM
That's the GREAT thing about the UBBs, no more carpet or stinking staples to rust away!!!! ;-)

kjohnson
03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
When we reworked the bunks on the trailer last summer, we cut angles into the wood prior to wrapping it to allow more of a guide for the boat. Instead of hitting the flat end of a 2X4, it will rub carpet that will guide it on to the trailer. Made more sense to do it that way.

That is the way mine are now. Did you just cut the corner off? What angle did you use?

kjohnson
03-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Boy that's strange, never heard of that. I have a 240SC and my 4 2"x6" 12 footers just arrived out at the bait camp from Joe at Ultimate Bunk Boards dot com. I can't wait to get them installed!!!

Can you post pics of these boards of yours?

I went to the website. They only list 9' maximum length. Were your 12 feet long boards a special order?

east tx skier
03-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I went to the website. They only list 9' maximum length. Were your 12 feet long boards a special order?

Got mine at Lowe's. In addition to beveling the inside corners of the bunks, a layer of carpet on the top of the bunk before you wrap with a second layer works well.

psychobilly
03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Call mr Joe, he has them. They are plastic and the derometer of the plastic is softer than your gel coat and will not scratch the gel. I know a guy with a 38' scarab that put these on his trailer and loves them. Call mr Joe, he'll fix you up.

psychobilly
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I am finally Gunna take a day off from the office to go and install my new UBBs tomorrow. Did you ever call them for price'n???

kjohnson
03-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I am finally Gunna take a day off from the office to go and install my new UBBs tomorrow. Did you ever call them for price'n???

No not yet. I will try today. And by the way, my existing bunk boards are 2x4's, not 2x6's.

kjohnson
03-28-2012, 08:07 AM

Do you through bolt them or use screws form beneath?

psychobilly
03-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Bolted through them. He recommends to counter sink them. I bought SS carriage bolts and couldnt use any of them. Just went to true value and bought carbon bolts. I'll try and post pics soon. They work great though. My carb took a crap on me and I had to load it with the winch. It came right on EASY. that's I big boat to crank up!

east tx skier
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Mine were carriage bolts bolted underneath the bracket. In other words, the bolt head is sunk beneath the surface of the bunk, underneath the carpet (topside).

psychobilly
03-28-2012, 08:24 PM
I tried the carriage bolts like you're talking about but they won't work on the plastic UBBoards. They won't grab, they just spin. I mounted my new brackets and then C clamped the bunks in place, marked the bracket holes, and then pulled the C clamps. I then drilled a supper small pilot hole on each mark on the bottom, then flipped the bunk and drilled all of my counter sunk holes, deep enough to set the head well below the surface of the bunk with a flat washer under the head. I then popped the larger holes for the bolts, installed them and sucked them down. It really turned out nice. The old carpeted bunks, well one fell in half as I removed it, some of the brackets were rotted all the way through.... It was well over due. I can't wait to get my 4160 rebuilt so u can launch her off of them!!!

If you go with the UBBs I reckon you'll be really happy.

psychobilly
03-29-2012, 06:49 AM
Here's the pics bud

kjohnson
03-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Here's the pics bud

They definitely look nice. What year is your trailer? Do you put it in saltwater?

psychobilly
03-29-2012, 07:01 PM
It's a '91 240SC and I suspect that she has been in salt at one time in her life. I'm like the third or forth owner so who knows. I have some more werk to do to the trailer but this is a good start. I'm happy with them.

kjohnson
05-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Finally ordered a set of UBB's for me and one set for a friend of mine (split the freight cost). Total cost for both boats was around $500. They aren't cheap, but as long as I don't have to worry about carpet and rot (even treated lumber will eventually rot) I think it will be worth it. I got black and they look nice. I bet they are really a lot slicker than carpet when they are wet! Now to find the time to put them on......

psychobilly
05-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Good deal man! You both will be happy with them.

kjohnson
06-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Finally put on my UBB's on my 1991 Prostar 190 trailer. Those are some slick boards. I think I am going to have to start tying down the back of the boat to keep it from sliding sideways. Other than that, so far so good.

BoulderX45
07-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Anybody use these UBBs on a bigger boat like a X-45? I'm tried of replacing carpet and bunks.

Thanks,

psychobilly
07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Mine is a huge 24 footer and I love them. I have several post in here about them so you can go to my profile and do some digging. PLEASE do not unhook your boat before you get her in the water, she will slide right off on the boat ramp. I don't even drive my boat up on the trailer anymore, winch all the way with ease.