PDA

View Full Version : Trim Plate - Falling?

mpabreo
03-21-2012, 09:29 AM
I wanted to poll the forum of those that have the single center wake plate installed on their MC. Mine has always, since the day I took the boat home, fell after each time a rider falls, or I come off plane, then back on. This results in my constant adjustment to raise the plate up after every single time I plane off.

I had my dealer look at it a year or so ago, and they changed the 'brain'. No dice, same falling of the trim plate after each time the boat comes off plane. This week when out for a weekday set, the trim plate stopped working completely so I'm bringing it in to the dealer. Dealer is telling me last time he looked at it MC said some falling is normal. My question is... "Has anyone else experienced the plate falling this often?" and I can't imagine the design is such that the driver has to trim up after every single plane off of the boat. Seems like a problem with the trim ram, but I wanted some feedback from others with the plate. (Mine is on a 2009 X-45).

Thanks!

CantRepeat
03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
I think they are programmed to auto center(go level) when the boat comes off plane. My X30 does and sometimes will do it while on the trailer.

mpabreo
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Mine goes about level when when I put the boat on the lift, on trailer, when I cut the engine off. One would think that's the logical programming. But without cutting the engine, I'm not quite sure I understand why MC would program your tab to adjust on its own.

CantRepeat
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Mine goes about level when when I put the boat on the lift, on trailer, when I cut the engine off. One would think that's the logical programming. But without cutting the engine, I'm not quite sure I understand why MC would program your tab to adjust on its own.

Do you think it is done that way so when you go to plane the boat the trim tab is in the best possible location to plane?

mpabreo
03-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Could be, but then the VDIG should show that the plate position has changed. Which it does not. Also, I suspect the optimal trim tab position to plane would be all the way down.

kskonn
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Mine does not do this. I asked my dealer and they said it should not do that. they are programmed to automatically(go up) after a certain amount of time once the ignition is turned off. So if on your lift/trailer whateve if it is not already in the level position you will hear it automatically level itself after a certain amount of time. Hope this helps.

kskonn
03-21-2012, 10:48 AM
sounds like you have an issue with the eclectronic arm that raises and lowers the plate. maybe a bad ground, or just a bad part in general?

NatesGr8
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
mine does the same thing as yours kskonn, when the ignition is off for 3-5 minutes i hear the trim tab move up to a level position.

MattsCraft
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
mine does the same thing as yours kskonn, when the ignition is off for 3-5 minutes i hear the trim tab move up to a level position.

Mine works as above '09, resets isself after a period of time when you turn off the ignition as long as the battery switch is on, you will hear it engage periodically even if the tab is up. Scared the heck out of me the first few times working around the boat on the trailer.

When running, it stays in whatever position you set it at. The VDIG sometimes is a little off/confused in the full up position, shows it is about 15% deployed.

bobx1
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Is there some type if intelligent bow attitude sensor? It looks like, from your drawing, when you come off plane the system auto-pushes the plate down resulting in pushing the bow down which makes sense (meaning it is trying to keep your bow down for you without having to adjust it manually).

mpabreo
03-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Is there some type if intelligent bow attitude sensor? It looks like, from your drawing, when you come off plane the system auto-pushes the plate down resulting in pushing the bow down which makes sense (meaning it is trying to keep your bow down for you without having to adjust it manually).

I doubt that's the case. I've never experienced this in other MCs with the plate. And why would you want to keep the bow down if the better/cleaner/larger wake is when it's up. My understanding is that MC only put these on larger boats that can have issues with porpoising. I never used the plate (stays up) unless I'm running at or near full throttle to drop the plate and eliminate the bounce. I suppose a secondary benefit is to mellow the wake for beginners.

prostar205
03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
I just install the 2011 MasterCraft Attitude Adjustment Plate (Lenco Trim Tab) on my '02 X30. The sole reason for doing so was porpoising at higher speeds. During the install, I used the brain box which sends a signal to the trim tab guage showing position. Also, I was told the brain box resets the tab to Zero or neutral after 8 minutes to make sure that when the boat takes off after being at rest, the sudden acceleration doesn't burry the bow in the water. Why they chose 8 minutes is a mystry to me.

bobx1
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM
I doubt that's the case. I've never experienced this in other MCs with the plate. And why would you want to keep the bow down if the better/cleaner/larger wake is when it's up. My understanding is that MC only put these on larger boats that can have issues with porpoising. I never used the plate (stays up) unless I'm running at or near full throttle to drop the plate and eliminate the bounce. I suppose a secondary benefit is to mellow the wake for beginners.

My response was more of a question. I dont have trim tabs (X1) but had them on my fishing boat specifically for porpoising and had heard some trim tab systems had some "intelligence" so was wondering if MC had some type of feature whereas it would auto deploy and un-deploy depending on certain conditions.

TallRedRider
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
My 06 would only move the tab to the up position after the key was off for about 10 minutes. Yours moving to the down position seems way dysfunctional to me.

I always called it the 'pee sensor' because it seemed that we had always jumped in the water after cutting the engine. When hearing the piston go up, I would ask who had peed in the lake. It was always good for a laugh, especially when we were out with someone new.

petermegan
03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Don't know the system but is this an electric motor or electric/hydraulic ram on the tab adjustment?

prostar205
03-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Don't know the system but is this an electric motor or electric/hydraulic ram on the tab adjustment?

The trim tab system is completely electric (no hydraulics). I believe it is a jack-screw mechanism.

bwop
03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
2009 x45 mine does it too. First year no issue 2nd and 3rd year had same problem as you. Changed brain box after 2nd season did not fix the problem. At dealer now he's thinking of changing actuator. Let me know what fixes yours.

AZX45OD
03-22-2012, 12:13 AM
On my 07 X30 the trim tab resets to neutral (flat) after the ignition has been off for a few minutes-same as others on this thread. It DOES NOT go down on its own to help get on plane, etc. HOWEVER one item of interest- I did just test drive a 2012 X45 with surf tabs and wake plate and they automatically do fold down every time you start up to help get the boat on plane. After a few seconds they then adjust to the position where they have been manually set. I don't know what year this feature started?

mpabreo
03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I believe this confirms I do have an issue. Good feedback that I can share with my dealer when he's talking with MC. Will post how it turns out. Thanks again.

bwop
04-21-2012, 03:39 PM
mpabreo get your problem fixed yet? wondering what they did

mpabreo
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Update... problem is not yet fixed. Dealer has changed out the 'brain' twice, and supposedly changed the actuator. I was told it 'seemed to be working', went to pick her up Saturday, and since this was the second time I was picking it up (first time I took it all the way home put in water Easter weekend, and only to find the tab didnt work and we quit riding a washed out wake after 30 mins) So this time, I had my wife stand behind the boat and look under the platform to see if the plate moved as I operated the toggle. Nothing. It reads on the VDIG fine, and even sounds like it should, but the plate doesn't move. Further, it sure doesn't look like the ram was changed to me.... unless they changed it out with a used part.

How do you tell a customer his boat is ready without testing it??? Arrgh. I know this somewhat driven by MC since it's warranty, but change the whole darn system out (ram, electronics, etc.) and be done with it...

goebelt
05-13-2012, 01:47 AM
When wake boarding or surfing do u have the plate up or down? Stupid question but I just got an x45 and trying to figure it out!