PDA

View Full Version : replacing brake lines

willyt
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
alright, so took her on a little cruise tonight, and the trailer was making an extra loud racket when i was towing it (well.. louder than normal). when i went to put her away and i found that the brake line from the left to the right wheels was broken.

Now that i think about it the trailer was acting a little weird on me since the beginning of this season. knowing that that brake line has to be replaced, and my system needs to be bled and refilled with brake fluid, that something i can easily do myself or should i just bring it to a local brake shop and let them worry about it?

I'm pretty confident i'll be alright in the meantime. central ohio is FLAT, and i tow a 05 X2 with a 07 Tahoe (with tow package) so i'm well under the tow limits (although it may not be so legal).

If its easy enough...
Napa best place for brake lines? there's one right by my office

Jerseydave
03-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Take the old line off, go to NAPA and match it up. If they give you one that's a bit longer that's ok. Get new nuts for the ends too. Then take it to your local auto garage and have the guy cut it to size and double flare the ends for you with the new nuts.

Reinstall it and bleed. i've used this trick before. Park your tow vehicle and trailer on a hill facing down hill. Go forward in quick jerky motions, get out and open a bleeder. Air should come out. Repeat 2-3 times for each wheel until just fluid comes out. Make sure you top off your fluid so you don't run dry.