PDA

View Full Version : LT-1 new alternator bracket question

kpickett
08-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Well, the alternator hanger bolt on my '94 LT-1 broke off for the second time this summer. I used the extractor and got the piece out and replaced the bolt.

Someone on the board mentioned that MC did a redesign on the alternator bracket, so I picked one up at the dealer today - $100 to fix something that should have been designed better in the first place.

The dealer didn't have a clue how it goes on, and it's not entirely obvious to me. Does anyone here have the new LT-1 alternator bracket? If so, would you mind posting a pic of your alternator so I can see how it's set up?

Thanks very much in advance. I'd love to stop having to replace alternator bolts.

KWP

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Well, the alternator hanger bolt on my '94 LT-1 broke off for the second time this summer. I used the extractor and got the piece out and replaced the bolt.

Someone on the board mentioned that MC did a redesign on the alternator bracket, so I picked one up at the dealer today - $100 to fix something that should have been designed better in the first place.

The dealer didn't have a clue how it goes on, and it's not entirely obvious to me. Does anyone here have the new LT-1 alternator bracket? If so, would you mind posting a pic of your alternator so I can see how it's set up?

Thanks very much in advance. I'd love to stop having to replace alternator bolts.

KWP
Take this as you want. I have a MCX 350 in my 2003 and the bolts broke on my alternator braket too. My fix was use grade 8 bolts instead of the grade 5 the factory used. :confused: We shall see if I fixed another factory issue, or if I only made the design work properly for a longer period of time. The problem is the lack of use of a spring tension pulley to tighten the belt. It relies soley on the discretion of the person doing the work manually. To be able to install the sping tension pulley would be the fix in my eyes. But what do I know right. :confused:

Leroy
08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
On my LTR-1 there was a recall and MC will put a new redesigned bracket on for free. I replaced the bolts last summer and MC replaced the bracket this spring. I had pictures, but am not finding them now.

As I remember from JimN the bracket was too thin and would vibrate and break the bolts. I don't remember earlier boats having that problem.

Jim@BAWS
08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Sorry. The RECALL was on the LTR motor...not a LT-1. The belt is
to tight if it is breaking the bracket.

The problem with the MCX was NOT MASTERCRAFT Indmar was using
a gorilla to tighten the belts. (MC is ultimatly resposible because we use there motor...anyway)

Just say you are a LAWYER and MC will probably replace it for free
Or BLAST to everyone here you are a LAWYER and never get a response
again.

Jim@BAWS

KWP

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Good to see a sense of humor at Bay Area! :)

JimN
08-13-2005, 05:19 PM
If the bolt keeps breaking off, the hole can be redrilled and tapped for the next larger size. This bolt may be breaking due to shear and not vibration or tension. The shear could be from sideways force or overtightening. If stainless bolts are being used and failing, using a good tri-plated (Cadmium colored) bolt would last just as long without corroding and work better for this application.

Also, the LT-1 wasn't the motor with the biggest problem with alternator bolts breaking, it was the LTR. I never replaced many on LT-1s and haven't heard of many that needed replacing. Overtight belts and bolts are the most common causes.

6ballsisall
08-13-2005, 07:18 PM

The problem with the MCX was NOT MASTERCRAFT Indmar was using
a gorilla to tighten the belts. (MC is ultimatly resposible because we use there motor...anyway)

again.

Jim@BAWS

I don't get it, the lawyer talk??? :confused: :D Hey you ever heard of a guy named Pink Lightning?? I heard he REALLY likes the color pink :uglyhamme

kpickett
08-13-2005, 10:37 PM

again.

Jim@BAWS

Well, I'm not a lawyer - just a symphony conductor. But, the belt was certainly NOT too tight at all. In fact, after the first bolt broke, I barely tightened it to the point where it wasn't squealing.

As Jimn said, "This bolt may be breaking due to shear and not vibration or tension. " I used the grade 8 bolt last time. The problem seems pretty clear - the alternator hangs on a very long bolt, and it gets a lot of shear stress.

MC did redesign the bracket - I've got one. I'm just not totally clear on how it installs. Any pictures?

kpickett
09-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Still hoping someone has done this. My alternator was squealing all weekend. I just am nervous to tighten it down too much.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Still hoping someone has done this. My alternator was squealing all weekend. I just am nervous to tighten it down too much.
Post a pic of your new bracket, and of the old too if possible.

Leroy
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Why didn't you have MC install? Normally it is recall/warranty work.

MC did redesign the bracket - I've got one. I'm just not totally clear on how it installs. Any pictures?

kpickett
09-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Why didn't you have MC install? Normally it is recall/warranty work.

My dealer can't get me in for weeks.

I'll try to post some pictures today or tomorrow.

Thanks.