PDA

View Full Version : Removing Powerslot, need advice

mart_it
03-20-2012, 01:09 PM
To anyone who has ever removed tranny, I need to replace the damper plate on my Prostar over the weekend. Can someone tell me what size wrench I need to remove stuffing box couplers? I can't check right now since boat is at the cottage.
I know some of you use pipe wrenches, but i'd prefer using exact size wrenches.

Any advice anyone who's ever done this can tell me?
Should I replace anything else while i've got it off?

Thx

learjet2230
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
2" on the wrenches (I think)....pretty sure! Some others might chime in. Those are gonna be somewhat pricey. I went dripless so I dont have to do that anymore.

jwroblew
03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
+1 for dripless

95_190_PS_PS
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
To anyone who has ever removed tranny, I need to replace the damper plate on my Prostar over the weekend. Can someone tell me what size wrench I need to remove stuffing box couplers? I can't check right now since boat is at the cottage.
I know some of you use pipe wrenches, but i'd prefer using exact size wrenches.

Any advice anyone who's ever done this can tell me?
Should I replace anything else while i've got it off?

Thx

I will hopefully be removing my trans this weekend too, and swapping it to another engine. I'm not so familiar with swapping engines on boats and don't know anything about how the trans connects to the engine, I imagine I will need some kind of gasket or sealant between the two, but won't know until I pull it.

If you go for the dripless, I have been doing a lot of research, skidim actually has what looks to be a decent write up for how to do the swap.

http://www.skidim.blogspot.com/

Please keep us updated on the progress, if I manage to get things going before you, I'll try to send any tips I come across.

learjet2230
03-21-2012, 08:49 PM
I will hopefully be removing my trans this weekend too, and swapping it to another engine. I'm not so familiar with swapping engines on boats and don't know anything about how the trans connects to the engine, I imagine I will need some kind of gasket or sealant between the two, but won't know until I pull it.

If you go for the dripless, I have been doing a lot of research, skidim actually has what looks to be a decent write up for how to do the swap.

http://www.skidim.blogspot.com/

Please keep us updated on the progress, if I manage to get things going before you, I'll try to send any tips I come across.

Dripless is easy to do, except on a powerslot due to the gear reduction bolted on the back. You have a lot less shaft to work with, but it is possible! cheers

d2jp
03-21-2012, 08:55 PM
These adjustable wrenches are used a lot by plumbers and around $10 each. Thinner than a monkey wrench, will fit on the packing nuts.http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp355/d2jp/MasterCraft/plumbersadj.jpg

mart_it
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm confused about how I should go about disconecting the shaft coupler from the tranny.
can someone tell me what I need to take the coupler off the shaft?

thanks

Table Rocker
03-22-2012, 11:35 AM
This is better than anything I could tell you:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal

CantRepeat
03-22-2012, 01:32 PM
I just used a couple of pipe wrenches.

+1 for dripless (there's a helpful post)

sp00ky
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
This is better than anything I could tell you:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/pss_shaft_seal

I'm confused about when you need to change the coupler as it indicates in above link. Last year I changed the rear trans seal should I have replaced the coupler then as well?

Table Rocker
03-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm confused about when you need to change the coupler as it indicates in above link. Last year I changed the rear trans seal should I have replaced the coupler then as well?I wouldn't. I think the ones in that link might not be tapered shafts and are harder to remove. As long as everything is in good shape, you are in good shape is the way I see it.

mart_it
03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Will I need to realign everything afterwards?
Will I have to re-pack packing gland even if it was done 2 yrs ago?

Thanks

mart_it
03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I just used a couple of pipe wrenches.

+1 for dripless (there's a helpful post)

Dripless shaft seal and electronic ignition are on the list for next year for sure!

mart_it
03-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Update:
Removed tranny on Saturday, thought the job would be harder to do, bolts were very easy to take off, did not need breaker bar.
The only hard part was removing transmission from boat. I didn't have access to a hoist or engine lift so I used my muscles to lift it out. I had put a foam sheet on the stern and had someone else outside the boat hold the tranny while I came out to help.....this was the toughest part of it all.
Glad to have done it myself, thanks to TT and it's members for this site!
Now that the tranny and starter are off, I was able to clean and wax entire bilge ad it looks like new again!
I'll be replacing bolts and nuts for SS while waiting for new plate to arrive. Also will be servicing starter and doing a little wire-tucking down in there.