PDA

View Full Version : how old is my S&S

aussies&s
08-13-2005, 12:26 AM
just wondering if anyone out there can help me, i have the only old S&S in australia and im trying to find out how old it is. i cant find any hull numbersor anything on it, the only date i have is the date the fuel tank was manufactured and its 1982. ive seen pics of 82's and they seem to have the big rectangular dash, but mine has the older style with the chrome speedo's up the top. i have also seen 82's advertised 4 sale and some have the rounded window, mine has the square one. if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

milkmania
08-13-2005, 12:35 AM
g'day mate:wavey:

(you probably get that all the time):o

I'm not sure which boat you have, but someone will be along shortly....

I just wanted to welcome you to the board

NatesGr8
08-13-2005, 01:55 AM
Any pictures available to help us out?

H20skeefreek
08-13-2005, 06:57 AM
It's hard to say with overseas boats. It seems that they built them differently than the US boats. I've seen some wacky boats out there. The hull ID should be on the upper right corner of the transom. The last 2 numbers are the year.

ski_king
08-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Up to 80 the windshields were rounded.
83 thru 85 the winsahield had square corners.
81 and 82 they could be either way. The "standard" was rounded and the "deluxe" had square corners. The 80 LTD may have had square corners also.

Lets see some pictures and check the serial no.
Yes, some of the ones shipped outside the USA were a little different.

aussies&s
08-13-2005, 07:52 AM
i hope this photo works, its the only one i have at the moment. i'll try and get some as soon as i can. the boat does not have a serial no. not sure why though.

6ballsisall
08-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Didnt they change the windshields to this windshield style in 84'??

shepherd
08-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Maybe there's a serial number on the engine block or manifold? :cool:

MarkP
08-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Have you called master craft to see if they could offer some insight??

Great looking SS! Welcome aboard:headbang:

Jim@BAWS
08-13-2005, 10:18 AM
There has to be a hull ID #
Drivers side stern under the rubrail

That is AT LEAST a 82 But it has OLDER Graphics

Wierd

Jim@BAWS

Hoosier Bob
08-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Euro graphics on an 83' or 84'? Tanks, Speedo's, Blocks and other hardware could be carry overs ordered in bulk to satisfy a few year model runs(just a guess). Where do Australian boats get manufactured? Are there any Euro plants or are they all shipped from the US? I see boats in England on the net that do not look like our color schemes here at all. If they are all made here then the plant should have record. If they are all made here there should bi a hull ID #. Nice looking boat by the way! :toast:

Jim@BAWS
08-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Heres your sign...

All MC are made in Tenn.

Jim@BAWS

Calif_BobPerry
08-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Ours is a 1981 and maybe you guys can explain,was there different models? It has a 351ci with a 1.52 to 1 trans.What I noticed is that ours has a one piece fully padded dash and also the engine cover is box shaped instead of tapered on the top.
Also we pulled up the floor(thats why the engine cover is sitting on the transom) and I have the pictures of what caused the prop shaft to
spin and slid back when we were at Don Pedro,I'll post them in my next thread so I can get everyones opinion.

MarkP
08-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Ours is a 1981 and maybe you guys can explain,was there different models? It has a 351ci with a 1.52 to 1 trans.What I noticed is that ours has a one piece fully padded dash and also the engine cover is box shaped instead of tapered on the top.
Also we pulled up the floor(thats why the engine cover is sitting on the transom) and I have the pictures of what caused the prop shaft to
spin and slid back when we were at Don Pedro,I'll post them in my next thread so I can get everyones opinion.Come on

Dont keep us hangin??

Calif_BobPerry
08-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Come on

Dont keep us hangin??

OK Ok but can I eat Breakfast first,why am I asking you?

I get them posted is alittle bit(after breakfast)...thanx

6ballsisall
08-13-2005, 12:34 PM
OK Ok but can I eat Breakfast first,why am I asking you?

I get them posted is alittle bit(after breakfast)...thanx

You darn Californians sleep in too late :D (just kidding dude ;) )

tph
08-13-2005, 12:36 PM
What an interesting boat! Looks like it's in great shape. '79-'80 graphics/'81-'86 deck and windshield/metalflake stripe (used last in '83) and the dash looks different (any pics?)

Bert
08-14-2005, 04:23 PM
spin and slid back when we were at Don Pedro,I'll post them in my next thread so I can get everyones opinion.

So.......... what was it???
That's a cool lookin boat

Calif_BobPerry
08-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Quick history of the boat: We purchased it 4yrs ago from the original owner with only 377 hours on it.We had the boat checked out and it was mechanically sound and there was no rot in the stringers,we also have all the sevice records and even the original purchase order,warranty card,owners manual and even a 1981 Mastercraft Parts Catalog. He had the oil changed often and serviced once a year and had the trailer wheel bearings repacked once a year to. except..........as for keeping the cosmetics of the boat in good shape that he did not (interior faded and cracked,gelcoat faded, clearcoat worn away and trailer covered with surface rust) otherwise the boat runs strong.The boat was almost always launched at the Martinez Marina which is located on the California Delta.The bad news,that is where the salt water meets the fresh water(our reason for having the stringers checked out).The boat was always covered but always parked outdoors(for 20yrs). We paid $4000 for the boat and added about 50hrs on it .So much for the history of the boat.

Here are the pictures of the prop shaft and what caused it to slide back. The old saying: "A picture tells a thousand words"

Cloaked
08-14-2005, 08:48 PM
If you fine folks will post up your engine serial number and the engine model number, I can tell you everything about the boat. Hull ID will help but every functional spec is identified within the numbers that are stamped on the metal tag that is secured under an engine cap screw. Post up and I'll translate the numbers that PCM uses for ID purposes.

With the pics, a shot of the dash board helps a lot. For the Aussie, the hull did indeed have a hull ID number upon manfacturing. No way around it in the US. But I can still confirm the year make by the engine serial number (different from the engine model number).

Calif_BobPerry
08-14-2005, 11:30 PM
If you fine folks will post up your engine serial number and the engine model number, I can tell you everything about the boat. Hull ID will help but every functional spec is identified within the numbers that are stamped on the metal tag that is secured under an engine cap screw. Post up and I'll translate the numbers that PCM uses for ID purposes.

With the pics, a shot of the dash board helps a lot. For the Aussie, the hull did indeed have a hull ID number upon manfacturing. No way around it in the US. But I can still confirm the year make by the engine serial number (different from the engine model number).

I really appreciate you doing this..

Serial..#211911
Model..#PLD WR L15
Hull..#MBCD0719M81H-PD

Thanks, Bob

betsy&david Harrison
08-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Speaking of old,rebuilt beauties, did anyone make comments on the boat that won the boat restoration contest in this months Waterski Mag? What a beautiful boat it ended up being. I love the yellow! B

Cloaked
08-15-2005, 07:10 AM
I really appreciate you doing this..

Serial..#211911
Model..#PLD WR L15
Hull..#MBCD0719M81H-PD

Thanks, Bob
Pleasurecraft
left-hand engine rotation (looking from rear)
351 C.I. @ 240 HP
Warner (Borg-Warner) transmission
Reduction gears
Left-hand Prop rotation (from rear)
1.5:1 reduction gear ratio (constituting a 1.25" dia drive shaft)

The boat is a 1981 manfactured model

Nice looking machine indeed.

H20skeefreek
08-15-2005, 07:18 AM
does this happen to anyone else? when sporty posted this, i got an email that said this:

P= Pleasurecraft
L= left-hand engine rotation (looking from rear)
D= 351 C.I. @ 240 HP
W=Warner (Borg-Warner) transmission
R=Reverse (or reduction gears)
L= Left-hand Prop rotation (from rear)
15=1.5:1 reduction gear ratio (constituting a 1.25" dia drive shaft)

The boat is a 1981 manfactured model

Nice looking machine indeed.

But that isn't what was posted, and it doesn't say that he edited it.....weird.

sizzler
08-15-2005, 07:22 AM
N=NO :uglyhamme

ski_king
08-15-2005, 07:26 AM
But that isn't what was posted, and it doesn't say that he edited it.....weird.
If you edit your post quickly (15 seconds or so), it does not show that it was edited.

Calif Bob, is that the capacity plate on the right side of your dash?
Nice boat!