PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug for 2005 197 TT with MCX

ntidsl
03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Forgot to look what spark plug I have been using and at 500 hours think its time to change them just for safety sake. Does anyone have the type of spark plug from DIM that I need. Its an MCX engine slightly modified at factory to make it for Tournament team. Should I do wires too?

Duane D
03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Here is the owner's manual from my '06. Not sure if it's the same, but I don't know why it wouldn't be...

east tx skier
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Forgot to look what spark plug I have been using and at 500 hours think its time to change them just for safety sake. Does anyone have the type of spark plug from DIM that I need. Its an MCX engine slightly modified at factory to make it for Tournament team. Should I do wires too?

How is the MCX used in the tournament team boats in 05 modified?

CantRepeat
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
How is the MCX used in the tournament team boats in 05 modified?

I didn't know they were, but I'm far from an expert on what MC does to motors.

ntidsl
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't think the mod was much...blingier and the 1:1.25 tranny...I'm no expert at all...I cannot even figure out if the MCX is a LS1 or LT1 or what!!!

Sodar
03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I had never heard the TT motors were any different. The slot tranny can be ordered on any PS 190/197. I do think it is standard on the TT, though.

ntidsl
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Got the info from Ski Dim...let me know if you ever figure out the mods...

ncsone
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I went with a NGK plug that was equivalent to the stock plug. The nice part was that they are available at a local auto parts store and much cheaper than the stock iridium/platinum plugs. If you still need the info, I can look it up tonight on the home computer. I have the same boat/motor/trans combination as you, FWIW.

ntidsl
03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
They dug up my order from years ago...seems I have replaced them a few year back so I dont even need them. They did suggest a new cap and rotor though...part 1323...
Good guys!

rspiecha
03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Here is what EngineNut posted:

Actually, in that pre-cat engine.I would not use platinum or iridium plugs.I would use regular AC Delco MR43LTS gapped at .045". Platinum and iridium plugs like to run hot and lean. Relatively speaking, that engine runs cold and rich. You are going to get lots of conflicting answers but this is the recommendation I make to anyone that asks. The reason that engine came with 41-932 plugs in it is because that what GM put in it at their factory but we used MR43LTS in those non-cat engines for years with great results.

rspiecha
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Napa usually has them in stock around $2-$3 per plug.

bturner2
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
I bought the replacement plug that was recommended by my dealer. Found these on Amazon for almost half what Ski Dim was asking. This pricey but this is the first plug change I've done in 280 hours.

8x ACDelco 41-101 Professional Iridium Spark Plug , Pack of 1
Sold by Amazon.com LLC (Amazon.com) $45.92

ntidsl
03-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for that info!!!

I have been using the iridium plugs since 08.

If I was to switch back to the factory specs what differences would I notice, more or less fuel consumption...quicker or slower accelleration? Smoother or quieter?

holdenh2o
03-20-2012, 09:10 PM
The only thing I know to be different re the engine in the TT is that the MCX in the '05 was blue, not red. Otherwise, I thought they were the same.

bturner2
03-21-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure you'd see any difference. You'd just have to go with a different gap. I went with the iridium plugs because that's what was in there. I think Ski Dim actually recommends the standard plug.

Jim@BAWS
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
AUTOLITE 103s

ntidsl
03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Wow...info overload. I had to step back and reviewed a bunch of threads here. Reviewed Engine nuts info...great info...then Jim at BAWS as I always listen to what he says then I had a great discussion with DIM.

I was wondering why Jim at BAWS recommended Autolite 30s on another thread and 103 here and assume it had to do with possibly the difference in the distributor.

I gathered, and I'm no expert, that some plugs will work better with certain distributors, caps and rotors.

So based on my distributor, cap and rotor and all the info I have gathered I am going to replace my iridiums with about 300 hours on them, my cap and rotor which I have never done but keep my wires.

I am getting everything from DIM rather than Amazon, or any of the big guys because i like to support the little guy.

I will be using NGK TR5 plugs gapped at .045" which is very similar to the plug engine nut recommends. I beleive it also crosses with the 103 that Jim recommends.

Hope this helps anyone who reads this and is as confused with all the info as I was.

One more thing on amazon...I love shopping at amazon but certain things I will not buy from them...I bought a pair of running shoes from them...the same shoes i have been wearing for over 10 years and it almost costed me my running. i was so injured after a few months i could barely walk. went to a local running store and found out they were not really asics but a really good impersonization. i also bought cologne which was a knock off and being a lighting designer I know half the lamps (lightbulbs) are knock offs. I wasnt about to try spark plugs and find out they were cheap knock offs...

AZX9
03-23-2012, 12:55 AM
My 2003 manual says AC 41-932 or AC MR43LTS for an MCX .045 gap.

bturner2
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Got my plugs from Amazon yesterday. If they're knock offs they're the best darn ones I ever saw. AC Delco box with the correct logos and packaging. The plugs were in individual boxes with the plastic rings to protect the tips. Ready to go!

rspiecha
03-23-2012, 11:36 AM
I have had issues with the NGK plugs porcelain cracking in the past. I purchased them from SKIDIM. Went back to the good old AC Delco plugs, and haven't looked back.

ntidsl
04-09-2012, 01:51 PM
So upon DIM'd suggestion I did the distributor cap, rotor, and all new plugs...and it ran smoother than it ever has in my opinion. Just so smooth but maybe I'm nuts...skied twice in 65 degree water. I couldnt have been happier!!! Now I'm sorta hoping to get better gas efficiency but we'll see!