PDA

View Full Version : Oil types and quantities

Rallyspitman
03-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Hello All, I'm just about to service my '91 Prostard 190 (351 PCM standard transmission). Boat didn't get used last season so it's been sitting for two years.
Unfortunately I've lost the manual.

Can you help me with:

Engine oil type (weight)
Quantity (including filter), (in litres if you may - I'm in England!)
When to check level (running/not running / in water (boat level))

Transmission oil type
Quantity
When to check (I think it's when hot), but is it running or stopped?

Final question, what size is the shaft packing?

There used to be a maintenance download containing all this info on here somewhere but I can't find it.

east tx skier
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
The manual originally called for Mobile 1 SAE30. More important at this point is to find an oil with more than 1,200 ppm ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus). I use Valvoline VR1 20W50 in my PCM GT40 (351 block). Mobile 1, Chevron Delo, and Royal Purple also have oils that fit the bill. What weight to run depends largely on your climate. I have seen 351s run fine on SAE30, SAE40, 10W40, 15W40, and 20W50.

4.258--4.7 Liters including the filter.

Ideally, you check the level warm in the water.

Transmission takes about 1.75 quarts (1.656 Liters) of the current incarnation of Dexron/Mercon (III or IV at this point) automatic transmission fluid. Forget the quantity though. Only put in as much fluid as you remove. Check level when engine is not running.

Shaft packing on a 1" shaft is 0.25".

Some maintenance information can be found here (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427). There should be oil and transmission fluid change information, parts information, and a guide to replacing your shaft packing. Good luck.