PDA

View Full Version : weather this spring

willyt
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
I know this experience goes in ‘mastercraft in your area’… but this is a general warning to anyone out there… so its a 'general' warning.

Was on the river yesterday in cbus. Conditions kinda sucked because it was so windy, but it was mid 70’s and we had patches of sun so decided to take her out anyway. We had a 50% chance of storms but up until then all the popup stuff was missing us… until I heard a crack of thunder in the distance. Checked the radar and sure enough we had a red cell headed right at us.

At first, considered trying to ride it out under the bridge but we were tired of wakeboarding anyway. High tailed it back to the ramp and put the boat on the trailer, wiped her down and then it started raining. Took her back to the storage facility and headed home.

5 seconds after I got home it started raining sheets, tornado sirens started blaring, 70+ mph winds. If we had tried to weather it out under the bridge I’m sure we would have sunk.

I think we’re in for some very interesting weather this spring, so plan accordingly when you’re at the river/lake. heck is supposed to be 80's the next few days here, and i jumped in without a wetsuit yesterday... there have to be consequences for this nice weather...

Second day in a row here we have a tornado warning btw

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the safety brief...we all need to remember this since we own the boats and take people out....

very good willyt!

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
A great App I use both on the lake and when I fly is MyCast. Its very user friendly, accurate, and done by Garmin. It beats any weather app I have used....speaking of the WX, we are about to get hammered here in Texas. Just went under Tornado Watch!

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
A great App I use both on the lake and when I fly is MyCast. Its very user friendly, accurate, and done by Garmin. It beats any weather app I have used....speaking of the WX, we are about to get hammered here in Texas. Just went under Tornado Watch!

stay safe down there...lot's of tornadoes last couple of years...

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
stay safe down there...lot's of tornadoes last couple of years...

Thanks...I was actually up your way when the one hit Plainfield back in 91/92 ish. That was a wicked one...

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks...I was actually up your way when the one hit Plainfield back in 91/92 ish. That was a wicked one...

Yeah that was bad...my home was spared but there was so many folks I knew that got hit....

Rockman
03-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Yep, that one was about 2 miles north of where we currently live.

RM

bjames
03-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Yup... storms can sneak up very fast. Dont be the last to show up at the doct to pull out your boat otherwise you will be trapped on the lake during the storm as EVERYONE is trying to load their boats all at once. The photos below was take right after we got outr boat loaded only 10 minutes before a major storm rolled in. This storm was responsible for a stage collaps during our Big Valley Jambory concert.

The sail boat you see in the photo above ended up slamming into the dock as the wind hit. All the boats you see in the water (photo below) had to wait out the storm as the line up of cars waiting to pull their boats out was too long.

Looking at the line up of people trying to get their boats out of the water.

Here is a video showing the same strom from further up the shore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndo7Jypw6jM

Same storm that hit big valley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0dyTcsNlSE&feature=related

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 06:13 PM
Yep, that one was about 2 miles north of where we currently live.

RM

Rockman are you like my neighbor? lol

Rockman
03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Rockman are you like my neighbor? lol

Most likely we have crossed paths somewhere...CF and Drauden.

RM

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Most likely we have crossed paths somewhere...CF and Drauden.

RM

lol...no that...ride my bicycle that way to get out starve rock...

Tri4X2
03-19-2012, 07:15 PM
I was on Lake Austin when we caught wind of a storm (pun intended). We happened to be the only one on the river that had a radio on. As we idled out of the cove I let the other boaters know there was a storm that was coming with quarter to Golfball sized hail. Not one person gave a $%#@. Moral of the story here was we got the boat out in time and under cover while people where literally stuck in a hail storm that lasted 10-20 minutes.

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
I was on Lake Austin when we caught wind of a storm (pun intended). We happened to be the only one on the river that had a radio on. As we idled out of the cove I let the other boaters know there was a storm that was coming with quarter to Golfball sized hail. Not one person gave a $%#@. Moral of the story here was we got the boat out in time and under cover while people where literally stuck in a hail storm that lasted 10-20 minutes.

Got swamped many times on Lake of the Woods in Canada...til I learned...if it looks like a storm..head home immediately...got caught 2x ...sucked... and got scary once...

Thanks again wilyt for starting this thread to bring boat safety during storms..

oldairboater
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Been caught before in weather. The only thing that worries me is lightning. Never had to worry about tornado's here much. I have tied up more then a couple of boats in protected water while kissing mud trying not to be a lightning rod. Sometimes too far from boat ramp or too far offshore to beat a storm in. The worse is when the storm forms almost on top of you and is between you and the boat ramp.