PDA

View Full Version : 5 gallon bucket Fake-a-lake???

snobinge
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I tried searching, but must not be using the correct key words. Does anyone have a link or can post some pix of exactly what I will need to make the 5 gallon bucket contraption to run my boat out of water. Also what I need to connect the bucket to the intake on the boat. Never tried this and want to start tackling more maintenance work on my own and want to do it correctly!

Thanks!

wrobins1
03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44490

BrooksfamX2
03-19-2012, 09:48 AM
you need one of these (fake-a-lake) if you plan on running more than 25 seconds......

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Flushrite-Flusher-Inboard-Adjustable/dp/B000MTB832/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332164743&sr=8-2

-V-
03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I found it easier to take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with water. Take off the raw water pick up hose from the screen and put it in the bucket. have hose on while running. Keep an eye on the leel of water because most hoses will NOT keep up with the amount of water being sucked into your engine. I have the Predetor and it will only allow me to rev it up a little but idle is fine and keeps up. hope this helps.

Jeff d
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I use the same technique but I prefer to use a section of 1.5" (I think that's right) diameter vinyl hose. It's really hard to get to my raw water pickup and I like that I can see the water flowing through the hose. I just pull the hose off of the intake side of the pump and connect the vinyl hose.

A shutoff for the end of your garden hose is helpful too. Makes it easier to deal with since you can start and stop the water flow right there at the boat. In the off chance that your hose flows too much water you can restrict it so the bucket doesn't overflow. I fill the bucket then turn the water off. Then I start the engine and turn the water back on and find the appropriate flow rate to keep a constant level in the bucket.

Jeff d
03-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Oh, and a "Fake a Lake" like shown above won't work on many MasterCrafts due to the water intake falling directly on the trailer bunk. Not sure which years/models are setup like this but mine is on a bunk and I've heard others complain of the same issue.

CantRepeat
03-19-2012, 10:28 AM
you need one of these (fake-a-lake) if you plan on running more than 25 seconds......

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Flushrite-Flusher-Inboard-Adjustable/dp/B000MTB832/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332164743&sr=8-2

Are you suggesting that you can run the engine without a water supply if you run it for less then 25 seconds?

-V-
03-19-2012, 10:29 AM
mine is on the bunk as well. I forgot to mention that too.

BrooksfamX2
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Are you suggesting that you can run the engine without a water supply if you run it for less then 25 seconds?

No, the video link posted by wrobins1 shows that a 5 gallon bucket is sucked dry in 25 seconds at iddle speeds.........:rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-19-2012, 11:19 AM
1 - 5 gallon bucket
1 - 3 foot 1.25" ID flexible PVC tubing.
1 - Hose clamp.
1 - garden hose with shut off valve.

Remove the intake hose from the lake side of the transmission cooler and attach PVC tubing with hose clamp. Put other end of PVC tubing in the bucket. Feed the bucket with the garden hose. Use ball valve to control flow. When bucket is about 3/4 full, start engine. Works like a charm for less than $10.

-V-
03-19-2012, 11:23 AM
you go to the transmission cooler? why not go to the raw water pump intake side?

Jeff d
03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
you go to the transmission cooler? why not go to the raw water pump intake side?

Yeah, on my boat I would burn up the impeller and likely not even be able to get water into the engine if I went to the trans cooler. Not sure how other boats are setup but mine has the cooler after the raw water pump.

CantRepeat
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
No, the video link posted by wrobins1 shows that a 5 gallon bucket is sucked dry in 25 seconds at iddle speeds.........:rolleyes:

OK, my mistake.

carlsonwa
03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
5 gallon bucket method for me works really well.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I have a 7 gallon pail I picked up during the winter that I will be using in the next few days.

CantRepeat
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Here is the one I used at the end of that video.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/bucket1.jpg

east tx skier
03-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Yeah, on my boat I would burn up the impeller and likely not even be able to get water into the engine if I went to the trans cooler. Not sure how other boats are setup but mine has the cooler after the raw water pump.

Go with whichever comes first. My transmission cooler is before the RWP and was on my older MC as well. I forget that the newer boats are setup differently. It is much easier to get to that hose on my current boat. I have never had any luck getting my hose to the hull fitting to come lose.

-V-
03-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Go with whichever comes first. My transmission cooler is before the RWP and was on my older MC as well. I forget that the newer boats are setup differently. It is much easier to get to that hose on my current boat. I have never had any luck getting my hose to the hull fitting to come lose.

OK, now it makes since...........I thought you had a special boat engine or something........

thatsmrmastercraft
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrFV5r8cs0 :D:D:D

03geetee
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Love the 5 gallon bucket and hasnt let me down yet.

JTR

Thrall
03-19-2012, 07:32 PM
It's a big debate here, but FWIW, I think the engine gets enough water just by running it on a garden hose.
Unless you were running it at high rpms for an extended period of time it won't hurt anything.
I've idled my LT-1 and my MCX for 10-20 min on the straight garden hose method many times, even a few rev ups with no damage.
The engine is not going to get heat soaked sitting in your driveway running with no load on it.
As long as the impeller has water and the exhaust manifolds aren't getting hot, you're good IMO.
On my LT-1, it had a tee in the raw water line that I used a garden hose quick disconnect on. On the MCX, I just disconnect the r/w line, shove the hose in it,turn on the water and fire the boat up.

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah it's almost like an oil discussion.. :D

CantRepeat
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Even with high pressure water, at anything above idle the impeller is pulling in more water then the hose can provide. With a normal 5 gallon buck full and the hose running full blast the bucket is still drained pretty fast. I figure for a couple of bucks it's worth doing. I'm going to need the bucket anyway to get the anti freeze into the motor.

zamboniman
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
on our old inboard we would always just have a length of hose that we'd put on the intake side of the pump and toss over the back of the boat into large bucket put the bucket where the exaust hot water would spill some of it back in.. then toss the fresh water hose in the bucket and just let it run.

RMUDBUGS
04-28-2012, 09:16 PM

This is my fake-a-lake. 20 gal. tub and a extra piece of raw water pickup hose. The two extra 5 gal. buckets are to refill the tub because the water hose doesn't keep up.

Jeff d
04-28-2012, 10:09 PM
a normal 5 gallon buck full and the hose running full blast the bucket is still drained pretty fast. I figure for a couple of bucks it's worth doing. I'm going to need the bucket anyway to get the anti freeze into the motor.

This would obviously depend heavily on your water supply but when I use the hose/bucket method I have to put a shutoff on the end of my hose to restrict the flow. Otherwise the hose flows too much and overflows all over the place. I close that shutoff 1/3 of the way or so and that's usually the perfect balance. I could use the faucet to adjust the flow down but having it in the boat where I can adjust while watching the level is easier.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2012, 11:25 PM

This is my fake-a-lake. 20 gal. tub and a extra piece of raw water pickup hose. The two extra 5 gal. buckets are to refill the tub because the water hose doesn't keep up.

Nice job with the tub. I plan to switch to that from my 5 gallon pail as well.

CCAnderson
05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Here is my fake a lake. parents were a bit miffed when it came time to use the plunger.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Here is my fake a lake. parents were a bit miffed when it came time to use the plunger.

Tell them to hook up the hose to it and hang on!:D:D

zamboniman
05-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Having just went through this exercise again. I continue to prefer my method. The only down side is you have to pull the raw water hose on the pump. So a bit of messing in the engine compartment with a screwdriver.

Instead of messing with a large container in the boat.... or a small bucket... Just grab a large plastic garbage can and fill with water.... then place it behind the boat so the exhaust empties somewhat back into it.. Make a hose to adapt to the raw water pickup side of the pump that extends over the back of the boat and into the garbage can.... put the supply hose in the can and turn on full blast. Start her up.

This is basically the same method as the container in the boat.... but it's behind and under the boat. So no messing with valves..... No worry of not enough water flow.. No worry of overflowing a boat or a hose that can't keep up.... If the water overflows it just makes the driveway wet... The engine gets all it asks for.. Only down side is diving into the engine bay instead of simply wedging a plunger under the boat..... Which is very appealing in the grand scheme of things.

Legolamb
05-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Does anyone use a Perko Flush Pro? Looks like a pretty nice product.

CantRepeat
05-09-2012, 07:24 AM

There's lots of people that use them. I believe at one point you could get them as a factory option.

langedp
06-07-2012, 12:19 PM

I added one to my X-Star in addition to a Sherwood sea strainer. On my Prostar there isn't room for both so I went with just the strainer. I'm liking the set up Zamboniman described. I use the 5 gallon bucket approach at home but up at the lake house I just don't have the water pressure to keep up with the LT1 even at idle.

BARE5
06-07-2012, 01:20 PM
What size hose required for a 95 prostar? Would like to attach to transmission cooler. Thanks

MattsCraft
06-07-2012, 01:47 PM

I have one for 3 years now, works great! Just make sure you add hose pressure light, start engine then add full hose pressure. Some people have had a problem with cracking the plastic, but I believe they have beefed up the plastic from the older versions. Also, if you use it to winterize, make sure not to lose the little plastic fitting that is tethered to the cap for this purpose, places pressure on the spring for adding anti-freeze.

langedp
06-07-2012, 04:39 PM
What size hose required for a 95 prostar? Would like to attach to transmission cooler. Thanks

Should be 1-1/4". That's what's on my '94 with LT1.

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Okay caved in to the 5 gallon bucket club... made mine for $7. Plastic epoxy cost more than bucket and PVC fitting...lol.

03geetee
09-21-2012, 08:04 PM
SICK! Fill it with beer when not winterizing with it and make it rain!

JTR

mikeg205
09-21-2012, 10:44 PM
SICK! Fill it with beer when not winterizing with it and make it rain!

JTR

u r right make a heck of a beer bong!

lake weir skier
05-04-2014, 02:29 PM
For Mike and anyone else who has put a hole in their plastic bucket for a PVC fitting, is your bucket made out of HDPE (usually says on the bottom), how did you prep the surface, what specific adhesive did you use, and are things holding together?

I ask because when I looked at my 5 gallon buckets from Lowe's, Northern Tool, and elsewhere, they are all made of HDPE -- high-density polyethylene. Polyethylene is supposedly difficult to bond, which is apparently why we store stuff in it. Loctite, for example, recommends against use of their Epoxy Plastic Bonder with polyethylene, but maybe someone is getting it to work well enough even if it isnít optimal.

TAP Plastics says their Poly-Weld Adhesive will bond polyethylene, but it requires pre-treatment with a propane torch. Anybody used this product?

How to repair and glue Polyethylene and Seaboard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9yhanz5DE)

mikeg205
05-04-2014, 03:09 PM
For Mike and anyone else who has put a hole in their plastic bucket for a PVC fitting, is your bucket made out of HDPE (usually says on the bottom), how did you prep the surface, what specific adhesive did you use, and are things holding together?

I ask because when I looked at my 5 gallon buckets from Lowe's, Northern Tool, and elsewhere, they are all made of HDPE -- high-density polyethylene. Polyethylene is supposedly difficult to bond, which is apparently why we store stuff in it. Loctite, for example, recommends against use of their Epoxy Plastic Bonder with polyethylene, but maybe someone is getting it to work well enough even if it isnít optimal.

TAP Plastics says their Poly-Weld Adhesive will bond polyethylene, but it requires pre-treatment with a propane torch. Anybody used this product?

How to repair and glue Polyethylene and Seaboard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-9yhanz5DE)

I made a hole a bit smaller than the PVC heat bucket and it has good friction fit... going to modify this year to add a screw in fitting and a rubber gasket..

lake weir skier
05-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I got one of these at Lowe's. The outside diameter of the threads is very close to 1 1/4 inches, but they have told me they don't have a nut that will thread on to it because it is designed to screw into pipe. I'm not sure they are correct, but that's what they said. Seems like a nut and a couple of soft gaskets that could accomodate the bucket curvature would work, but I haven't found such a nut.

PVC Male Adapter (http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/hardware_supplies.cfm?t=5&itemNumber=41021)

mikeg205
05-04-2014, 04:43 PM
I used cheapo loctite 2 minute epoxy to seal the edges... still holding for 3 seasons. Pool stores have parts too.

pool stores have many fittings home stores don't....

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies.com/pvcfihoadunm.html

lake weir skier
05-04-2014, 05:02 PM
I used cheapo loctite 2 minute epoxy to seal the edges... still holding for 3 seasons. Pool stores have parts too.

pool stores have many fittings home stores don't....

http://www.nationaldiscountpoolsupplies.com/pvcfihoadunm.html

Thanks.

What material is your bucket? Does it say HDPE or LDPE on the bottom?

lake weir skier
05-23-2014, 01:37 AM
If you want to attach a hose to a bucket with a hole in the side, I suggest looking for a bulkhead union that mechanically seals the bucket while avoiding the problems chemically sealing to polyethylene – a material commonly used in manufacturing five gallon buckets. These unions, as I’ve recently learned, are used for attaching a valve to a rain barrel or bucket. The thick spongy washer that seals on the inside of the bucket can accommodate the curvature of a round five gallon bucket.

I bought this particular one at Lowe’s. I also see it at Amazon and Home Depot. The threaded male, which has left hand threads, measured 1.35 inches outer diameter. My 1.25 inch inner diameter wired wet exhaust hose slipped on, but even with a pipe clamp there was a slight leak. To give the hose more mating surface, I shaved off the threads on the male with a Dremel, so the male is now 1.22 inches outer diameter. The hose goes on fine and, with no chemical sealant used, there was no leaking running my engine on this hose attached to the bucket in this manner. I think there are lower cost bulkhead unions than this one that would work.

Watts PL-1872 (http://www.lowes.com/pd_438374-104-PL-1872_1z10x7w+4294822030__?productId=4566420&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1% 26page%3D1&facetInfo=Union)

thatsmrmastercraft
05-23-2014, 01:44 AM
If you want to attach a hose to a bucket with a hole in the side, I suggest looking for a bulkhead union that mechanically seals the bucket while avoiding the problems chemically sealing to polyethylene Ė a common material used in manufacturing five gallon buckets. These unions, as Iíve recently learned, are used for attaching a valve to a rain barrel or bucket. The thick spongy washer that seals on the inside of the bucket can accommodate the curvature of a round five gallon bucket.

I bought this particular one at Loweís. I also see it at Amazon and Home Depot. The threaded male, which has left hand threads, measured 1.35 inches outer diameter. My 1.25 inch inner diameter wired wet exhaust hose slipped on, but even with a pipe clamp there was a slight leak. To give the hose more mating surface, I shaved off the threads on the male with a Dremel, so the male is now 1.22 inches outer diameter. The hose goes on fine and, with no chemical sealant used, there was no leaking running my engine on this hose attached to the bucket in this manner. I think there are lower cost bulkhead unions than this one that would work.

Watts PL-1872 (http://www.lowes.com/pd_438374-104-PL-1872_1z10x7w+4294822030__?productId=4566420&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1% 26page%3D1&facetInfo=Union)

Nice touch. I move up to a Rubbermaid tub for more water. Need to install those fittings in my next version.

CantRepeat
05-23-2014, 03:32 AM
Nice upgrade!

Nordicron
05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Seems like way to much hassle to me. Just put a t and hose fitting on your intake line and call it a day. I know all u our guys have some fears that the hose doesn't supply enough water and that but at idle there is plenty of water going through your motor and more than enough to lubricate your impeller. Your motor could sit all day long idling with just the hose connected and never ever overheat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.robinson389
05-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Instead of messing with a large container in the boat.... or a small bucket... Just grab a large plastic garbage can and fill with water.... then place it behind the boat so the exhaust empties somewhat back into it.. Make a hose to adapt to the raw water pickup side of the pump that extends over the back of the boat and into the garbage can.... put the supply hose in the can and turn on full blast. Start her up.

Bringing up an old post here. Does the RWP have any trouble drawing water up and over the back of the boat? I'm guess that'd be close to 10' or better of hose.

I ask this, because we have, limited water supply being on a mediocre well. Being able to sort of recycle the water would definitely be a plus. Anybody else had good luck with this method?