PDA

View Full Version : Broken rudder

brftski
08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
I have a 1983 stars & stripes with a broken rudder. The rudder is broken flush with the bottom plate. Is this a hard repair? Does the fuel tank come out? HELP!!!! somebody tell me how to replace it. PLEASE

6ballsisall
08-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the board. Theres a wealth of info here.

Its been a month or so since I played with that model of boat but I believe you will have to pull the tank. It's not hard to do, of course make sure the tank is empty. Just a couple of plates with screws holding it down that need removed. Get yourself a new assembly and drop it in and your fixed.

BTW, how did the old one break off??

ski_king
08-12-2005, 10:55 PM
The tank does come out. YOu may not have to take it out to change the rudder, but it will make it a lot easier.

Here is one source (http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1123) for a rudder.

brftski
08-12-2005, 11:02 PM
I sold the boat at the start of summer and I just bought it back.It came back with a bent prop and a broken rudder. The prop is fixed and i have 1990 prostar for parts. Can I not just remove the arm where the steering cable connects at the top and drop the rudder down?

ski_king
08-12-2005, 11:06 PM
No guarantee it will fit the other housing. Also you stand a chance of messing up the seals.
Change the whole assembly. :twocents:

brftski
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
sorry, I just have a broken rudder and I need some help on replacing it. I was just looking at the posts and noticed what it took to get some attention. I have a 1983 stars and stripes, the rudder is broken flush with the bottom plates. I also have a 1990 prostar for parts,will the rudder interchange? Could someone walk me through it!! Please

PendO
08-12-2005, 11:51 PM
sorry, I just have a broken rudder and I need some help on replacing it. I was just looking at the posts and noticed what it took to get some attention. I have a 1983 stars and stripes, the rudder is broken flush with the bottom plates. I also have a 1990 prostar for parts,will the rudder interchange? Could someone walk me through it!! Please

bump ... I'm guessing you were typing when those others were responding

milkmania
08-12-2005, 11:58 PM
groundhog day