PDA

View Full Version : Carpet or Vinyl boat lift bunks?

Lars
03-18-2012, 09:48 PM
which is better for the boat? Currently have Shoremaster Vinyl Bunks (http://www.shoremaster.com/images/pdfs/WaterfrontAccessories/BoatLiftAccessories/fulllengthbunnksschematic.pdf) but with lower lake levels and having to power on and off the gelcoat has been scratching off of the bottom of my boat a bit.
I'm wondering if carpeted bunks would be better or more slippery? Thoughts?

mikeg205
03-18-2012, 09:59 PM
I would go with carpet - its on the trailers, IMHO. Bottom of my 95 still all shiny :)

macattack
03-18-2012, 10:05 PM
If the water is that low, I would assume you would get sand in the carpet/bunks, which would also scratch your hull. Guess you can't move your ShoreMaster deeper? mac

Lars
03-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah probably not Mac, best bet is a power washer to dredge the lift lower.

wheelerlake
03-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I got visited by the DNR 2 summers ago for doing just that. I was moving the muck next to our dock so I could get the jet boat lift deeper and out of the way of the neighbors. The other "neighbor" called the DNR on me. He paid us a visit to say he was saving us the $1000 fine for dredging. So be careful when you do it and who your neighbors are. Never mind that they dumped buckets and buckets of sand in so they could have a sand beach instead of our muck. Yeah.

Lars
03-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Good points on all accounts. The neighbor to the right is moving in a few months and the neighbor to the left is good friends with us. Maybe a post hole digger would be another option :D

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I got visited by the DNR 2 summers ago for doing just that. I was moving the muck next to our dock so I could get the jet boat lift deeper and out of the way of the neighbors. The other "neighbor" called the DNR on me. He paid us a visit to say he was saving us the $1000 fine for dredging. So be careful when you do it and who your neighbors are. Never mind that they dumped buckets and buckets of sand in so they could have a sand beach instead of our muck. Yeah.

Thats jacked up!!! Sounds like you outta have a little fun with him.

Sometimes to dredge, I will leave the boat in gear on the lift to blow that stuff outta there, in reverse too.

Jeff d
03-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Make some bunks with little holes in them like an air hockey table. Then pump water through the holes and the boat will slide right off like an air hockey puck!

Lars
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Ugh, NOT a trailer question. This should have stayed in General.

Jeff, now you're talking!