PDA

View Full Version : How can I make a monster wake like the pros???

nebraskasurfer
03-18-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a 2008 X-45 with an 8.1 L. Love the boat, but I need help figuring out how much weight to load the boat with. I like a big, pushy wake (who doesn't), but i just can't get it right! We have the standard ballast system, and have occasionally used fat sacs. Please help!

AZX9
03-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Your gonna need lots of ballast to have a wake like a pro. Ever see those videos? The boat looks like its about to sink. I spoke with Wakemakers.com and they seam to know what's going on.

DemolitionMan
03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Look how low a pro tour boat rides.

willyt
03-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Don't quote me on this, but I think Harley is putting somewhere in the neighborhood of 6k plus worth of ballast. Considering you might not be experienced at weighing your boat.... I would definitely talk to wakemakers about how you should go about it (distribution, amount, prop, etc).

You've got a great start on the 45 with the 8.1...

nebraskasurfer
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks to you all! We do weight it some, but I feel this boat could make a lot bigger wake. I have all the power in the world, and our lake isn't crowded at all. We set a record for the earliest dip in the lake without wetsuits this weekend btw!

I will talk with the people you all have suggested. I would really like to make the wake bigger!

nmcjr
03-19-2012, 05:34 PM
The weight the pros are running is getting ridiculous-I don't personally think its a realistic bar for most of us, and certainly not necessary. Bigger boats require more weight, so I would think in the neighborhood of 4000# would be reasonable in a 45 and make a big enough wake to be fun. I run about 2500 in my X1 and the wake isn't huge by pro standards, but its big enough.

mpabreo
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Here's my setup and at least locally, there's no one riding a bigger wake.

X-45, stock ballast full, (2) 550lb sacs in the rear lockers, (2) v-drive sacs under the bow seats filled as much as they can while still allowing the bow seats to close, and a 650 in the bow floor. Add a full tank (or near full) of gas and a few people and you're wake will be great. It will drink petro but it's worth it.

Oh, trim plate all the way up, 80' line, 26.4mph.