PDA

View Full Version : Bad Start (1995 ProStar 205)

jjdyn0mite
03-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Just got my boat back in November (1995 PS 205 with EFI/TBI). Ran fine on the test drive. I brought it home and ran it once before winterizing. I was able to start it up once or twice for short periods to test one thing or another over the past two months.

Since buying I have installed new stereo head unit and speakers and new cruise control (hydrophase ridesteady).

Beautiful day today and I got off work early so I decided to make a quick run to the lake. Put the boat down in the water and cranked it. It fired up on the second crank, same as it always has, but then died after a few seconds. I started it again and it ran for about 5-10 seconds and died again. After that, it only turned over, never fired. I checked and the TBI fuel injectors were spitting fuel, just no spark. Needless to say, I am frustrated beyond belief. What can I do to troubleshoot this. I'm guessing it is a spark issue. I already checked the lanyard switch and that is connected and working fine. I am no mechanic, and will need help identifying things that you describe, but I can be taught or figure most things out. Thanks for any help you can offer.

JimN
03-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Just got my boat back in November (1995 PS 205 with EFI/TBI). Ran fine on the test drive. I brought it home and ran it once before winterizing. I was able to start it up once or twice for short periods to test one thing or another over the past two months.

Since buying I have installed new stereo head unit and speakers and new cruise control (hydrophase ridesteady).

Beautiful day today and I got off work early so I decided to make a quick run to the lake. Put the boat down in the water and cranked it. It fired up on the second crank, same as it always has, but then died after a few seconds. I started it again and it ran for about 5-10 seconds and died again. After that, it only turned over, never fired. I checked and the TBI fuel injectors were spitting fuel, just no spark. Needless to say, I am frustrated beyond belief. What can I do to troubleshoot this. I'm guessing it is a spark issue. I already checked the lanyard switch and that is connected and working fine. I am no mechanic, and will need help identifying things that you describe, but I can be taught or figure most things out. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Look at your connections for the cruise control. How were the wires connected- Scotch Loks, twist/tape, butt connectors,...? If the answer is any of those, do it right. Who installed it?

If the cruise control uses a tach signal, make sure the purple/white wire at the distributor isn't grounding to the block or anywhere else. If it does, it will definitely kill the spark. There aren't many ways to kill spark on one of these, but that's one of them. Make sure the harnesses on the coil are plugged in and making good contact. Make sure the coil wire is plugged in, too.

jjdyn0mite
03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Jim, thanks for the reply.
I installed the cruise myself, which could very well explain everything :) . The only electrical connection was where I attached the power wires to posts on one of the existing guages, I can't remember which one I used. Could that be the problem? I checked the harnesses and spark plug wires everything seemed to be well connected.

I guess tomorrow I will take the dash back down and look at those connections again and try to find any ground wires, I read somewhere that there is a ground on the back of the engine? Any other ideas are welcome.

jjdyn0mite
03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Oh, yeah, and the cruise uses only a paddlewheel, no tach signal. Thanks again.