PDA

View Full Version : X9 Trailer design issue, how'd you fix it?

AZX9
03-16-2012, 02:42 AM
So my trailer has a v-shaped bow bunk just behind the boat buddy and winch. Trouble is that as the boat comes off the trailer the bow islet catches on the v-shaped bunk and stops the boat from exiting the trailer. The steeper the ramp the worse the problem. You have to back the trailer in so far that the master cylinder gets dunked thus causing moisture entry into the brake lines and subsequent corrosion. The only thing I can think of is to remove it, cut it down and mount it further down the Kiel but I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

norris_ps205
03-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I've got an '05 X9 and don't really have that problem. My ramp isn't too steep though, so I can pretty much just float the boat off the trailer.

BrooksfamX2
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Would getting rid of the boat buddy for a roller stop and getting a shorter bow eye help at all?

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Trailer back into deep or not deep enough. I don't have that issue on my 06 but on my 92 it would hit. I don't remember which way we went about to keep it from happening but it was trailer depth that fixed it.

jkski
03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
I do not have my trailer here to referrence however, I used to encounter this issue on my older 197's and noticed that on my 08 trailer the V pads did not touch each other at the base of the V, allowing about a 1" gap where the bow ring can actually pass thru, as there is no metal backing plate in that area.
So, take a look at the metal U shaped piece that the V pads mount to and if it is like mine, you should be able to simply remove the V pads and either reposition them so that they leave about a 1" gap or cut them down to remove about an inch from the inside portion.

Hope this helps.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 02:12 PM
There is a small gap between the plastic supports that the carpet is attached to. They only add an extra 1/2 to 3/4 inch to the depth of the V then it's steel backer plate. I may try to power off rather than float off to minimize bow dipping. My biggest issue is that where I boat on the river the ramps are all steep. As you back in the back end of the boat lifts and the bow dips. Even at a very nice normal angle ramp it still dips just enough to cause an issue.

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 02:50 PM
I haven't been to Parker or Havasu in close to 20 years I guess. The only ramp I remember was the main one behind the Nautical I don't remember that one being very steep.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
The ramp at Lake Havasu Marina which is right next to the Nautical is the best one. Has just the perfect angle. Everything in Parker is steep and has a current.

Sodar
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
You are too deep. Pull out a little and back off. I also spray liquid roller on the bunks to help out. Down further south on the river, the ramps are so steep that the trailer has to be half out of the water to get the boat on.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/07/10084307.jpg?is=500,500

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
You are too deep. Pull out a little and back off. I also spray liquid roller on the bunks to help out. Down further south on the river, the ramps are so steep that the trailer has to be half out of the water to get the boat on.

And when the river is flowing it's damn near impossible to get in one run.

Jeff d
03-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I only have this issue with my 230 VRS if my tow vehicle driver backs in too far.

Sodar
03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
And when the river is flowing it's damn near impossible to get in one run.

Skill son, all skill! :D

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Skill son, all skill! :D

And it's funny as hell to watch those without it try! :D

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 05:26 PM
This ramp, the water rushing around the corner and down stream made for some great times.

Sodar
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Is that the one just south of Fox's?

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
And this one at Buckskin.. lol

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Is that the one just south of Fox's?

Yup, that's it. We would sit on the grass at buckskin and just watch the ramp late in the evening. :D

Sodar
03-16-2012, 05:58 PM
The one below Fox's has a small breakwall around it, which is a curse more than a blessing. It makes a nice little eddy and really screws with people.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm thinking of storing my boat and launching at the sandbar resort. Is that the one your talking about. It's by one of the drive up bars. Don't recall if it's by fox's or that other one. Can't recall the name. The ramp i like best is the California state launch ramp. Just a pain to grab the boat and drive back to Parker cross and then drive halfway back up. I only us it if I go for gas in Parker or tow in from Phoenix.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 07:34 PM
And this one at Buckskin.. lol

That ramp at buckskin sucks

AZX9
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
I think maybe what I will do is wait for the back end of the boat to just lift up barely, stop the wife from backing further, and try to power off.

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
I know one of you guys will know, but heading back into Parker on the left hand side there is a restaurant that has a burrito called "the wild@ss burrito". Man those were good but hell, it might not even be there now.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
In Parker, or on the way? There's a good place in Parker but haven't really gone to a lot of places on the highway.

CantRepeat
03-16-2012, 09:13 PM
In Parker, or on the way? There's a good place in Parker but haven't really gone to a lot of places on the highway.

In Parker, if you had been there or had one you know where it was. I'll see if I can google it.

El Sarape Restaurant, I believe.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 09:24 PM
El scrape is the bomb. I don't think they have anything called that though.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Yup, that's it. We would sit on the grass at buckskin and just watch the ramp late in the evening. :D

Great sport watching all the antics that go on at a boat launch.:D

AZX9
03-17-2012, 03:42 AM
The best is Havasu ramps late on a Holliday weekend night!

AZX9
04-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Ok, this boat buddy long eyelet and bow V-bunk are running out of chances to remain in tack on my trailer. Again today being very mindfull of the issue I still caught the eyelet on the bunk and the ramp wasn't that steep. It was an issue loading also.

TXX9
04-09-2012, 04:09 AM
I have all the same issues with my 06 X9 and have not yet found a good solution either.

Subscribed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

AZX9
04-10-2012, 01:33 AM
As you can see in this picture, the v-bunk is getting tore up and it is a PITA to deal with on just a normal angle ramp. As soon i go to the river where the ramps are steep I don't think it will ever come off. As it is I have to back my trailer in so far in order to float the boat UP off the trailer rather than sliding off. I don't think there may be a good solution here. I am a fairly mechanical guy that has what I believe is a good sense of how things work and operate at their best efficiency. I don't see a good solution here other than to cut the v-bunk off completely or cut it and remove some of the stem and weld it back on further down the keel. :( I do like that I have a bunk there, I just don't think it was well designed to work properly.

Brian B
04-10-2012, 02:29 AM
I have the same problem. Going to try not going in as far.......

Where can I but the whole v bunk?

curtish
04-10-2012, 02:59 AM
We have had (and continue to have) the same problem on our '01 trailer. We complained to the dealer and MC provided a new "V-block" that has a 3" gap between the pads to allow the bow eye to slip between them...in theory. But it doesn't work, for unloading at least, oh and you have to pay to have it installed. Powering on the trailer is no problem. However, if the ramp is steep and you have to power off, the prop walk pulls the bow eye to one side and it hangs up. We looked into this in depth this winter and found that the more modern trailers have the pads farther down the hull to solve this issue (we think). We had ours moved down over the off season and have yet to see if it solves the problem. See the attached photo for the more modern design.

AZX9
04-11-2012, 01:17 AM
That's what I'm talking about! I just don't want the extra hassle of having a shop cut it off grinding down the left over metal, re-welding, and repainting. New paint will never match old paint. How steep are the ramps that you use?

curtish
04-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Here in NorCal we frequent 2 lakes, Shasta and Whiskeytown. Shasta has all steep ramps, and makes loading and unloading a little more difficult (as we've discused). At Whiskeytown it is like stepping on a banana peel. They are not near as steep, what a difference. I have no idea the exact angles, but you can tell the difference.

curtish
04-11-2012, 01:27 AM
What color is your trailer? Ours is white and you can't tell any work was ever done to it. Although there is zero fade as the boat is kept in the garage when not on the water. A quality shop could do it right. And if it fixes the problem it'll be worth it, even if it doesn't match 100%. It's just a trailer, right?

Windblown
04-11-2012, 02:04 AM
We've had the same problem at our lake which has a very steep ramp. By not backing in as far the bunks keep this from happening.

AZX9
04-11-2012, 02:30 AM
I tried this last outing and if I don't back down enough to cause the bow to drop, the boat won't come off. If I keep going until the boat releases then it catches on the bunk. Curtish let me know how that first trailer unload goes. When do you make your first launch?

AZX9
04-11-2012, 02:33 AM
At Whiskeytown it is like stepping on a banana peel. They are not near as steep, what a difference.

Please explain like a banana peel. Do you mean they are all slimy from algae?

Jeff d
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
If you were willing to give up the boat buddy then you could go to a more standard profile bow eye. That would probably be less likely to get hung up on the v-block.

Also, if you have the separated v-block like shown above what about making some sideways trapezoid shaped pads that would "funnel" the bow eye to the middle rather than the standard square ones. That might help too.

FoggyNogginz
04-11-2012, 09:00 AM
I have the X9, and we ditched the boat buddy for an oversized roller and it really helps. The angle for the boat buddy was too steep for many ramps, but the large V-roller keeps the how eye up higher/longer for easier access/retrieval. Besides, I got tired of replacing boat buddies every five years or so too. Good luck.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

curtish
04-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I tried this last outing and if I don't back down enough to cause the bow to drop, the boat won't come off. If I keep going until the boat releases then it catches on the bunk. Curtish let me know how that first trailer unload goes. When do you make your first launch?

First launch will be mid-May, Memorial Day at the latest.

Please explain like a banana peel. Do you mean they are all slimy from algae?

I was just trying to explain how easily the boat launches and is retrieved on a ramp that is not so steep.

I hear that waxing your bunkers helps alot, but we have never tried it.

curtish
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
If you were willing to give up the boat buddy then you could go to a more standard profile bow eye. That would probably be less likely to get hung up on the v-block.

Also, if you have the separated v-block like shown above what about making some sideways trapezoid shaped pads that would "funnel" the bow eye to the middle rather than the standard square ones. That might help too.

I have the X9, and we ditched the boat buddy for an oversized roller and it really helps. The angle for the boat buddy was too steep for many ramps, but the large V-roller keeps the how eye up higher/longer for easier access/retrieval. Besides, I got tired of replacing boat buddies every five years or so too. Good luck.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

I agree that the boat buddy is worth ditching. However, I can't see how doing that would make any difference is regard to the issue at hand, other than not marring the hull. Jeff, I think the eye has to have clearance. I believe any attempt to "funnel" or "guide" it would only result in it getting hung up. The V-block we had previously would still hook the eye, even though it had a gap cut into it.

Jeff d
04-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I agree that the boat buddy is worth ditching. However, I can't see how doing that would make any difference is regard to the issue at hand, other than not marring the hull.
I guess I didn't explain what I meant very well. The Boat Buddy bow eye that's on most of our boats is really long like this:
http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/K/B/KBB2_h_1000.jpg

A "normal" bow eye is a good 1"+ shorter:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31h-ITeQInL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Even better may be to get one with a sloped profile like this:
http://www.marineengine.com/products/images/3169233C.jpg

So, if you were willing to give up the boat buddy in order to gain a shorter profile bow eye I think it would be less likely to hang up like the big honkin' boat buddy bow eye does.

The V-block we had previously would still hook the eye, even though it had a gap cut into it.
Yes but it was getting hung up because it was still coming into contact with a perpendicular obstacle (Your V block pads) as the prop torqued the boat to one side. So, take your same design with the gap in the middle of the v-block but change the shape of your pads in order to "encourage" the bow eye to go through the gap. You could actually use the same pads but then cut some 1/2-3/4" thick UHMW (A hard, slick plastic) "funnels" shaped like the attached image (Sorry for my crude Paint drawing). Sandwich those in between the metal V-block brackets and the carpeted pads. This way even when the bow eye is torqued to one side by the engine during loading and unloading the "funnels" will guide the eye into the gap you've created. I think it would work quite well if the angle of the funnels were appropriate (May need to be steeper than what I drew).

Brian B
04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
I had the issues described in this thread at a ramp last weekend. Tore up what was left of my keel bunk carpet. The keel bunk, or whatever its called is two pieces. I went ahead and capeted both pieces individually in hopes that the bow eye would simply slide in between the two pieces and not tear my carpeting again....

To remove the bunk with the boat on the trailer simply put a jack or piece of wood upright into the bottom of the keel. Lower your trailer jack and the trailer will fall out from underneath the boat allowing for room to remove the bunk.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c250/ultimatuc2/IMG_20120425_152931.jpg

curtish
06-03-2012, 02:20 AM

AZX9 first launch was last Saturday and it worked very well. The eye does not contact the pads now because they are lower. I think it is finally fixed. Had a small snafu with the boat buddy, which we quit using years ago. I'm backing the boat off for the first time of the season and really using alot of power. I'm thinking the new bunk carpet is just sticking for some reason. Finally give up, something is not right. It seems that the dealer thought we should be using the boat buddy and engaged it. Felt like a total newb. Although we would not normally check that since we never use it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk