PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Oil Change ?s

holdenh2o
03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Anyone use Amsoil? Thoughts.

Also, on the oil change (2005 mcx) - seems straight-forward: unclip drain hose, run through hull and unscrew, take off old oil filter and replace. Fill with new oil. Any tricks or things to look out for? Am I missing something?

east tx skier
03-15-2012, 11:29 PM
You just missed one thing. Unscrew your oil cap before you unscrew the drain hose. Otherwise, it won't drain. Goes much faster if you warn it up as well.

holdenh2o
03-15-2012, 11:33 PM
TY. I would have never done that.

If not warmed up, how long does it typically take to completely drain?

5 or 6 qts?

east tx skier
03-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I leave it draining for a couple of days if I do it cold. It's very slow. Should be close to 5 including about half of a qiqrt in the filter. Pour it in the filter and rub some oil on the Hawley before putting the filter on 1/4 turn past hand tight.

holdenh2o
03-16-2012, 12:01 AM
east tx skier,

thanks for the insight - really what I needed.

Can I warm the engine outta water? If yes, how long do I let it run to get the oil moving without "burning" it up?

1redTA
03-16-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm a newish Amsoil dealer, running the one year 25,000 mile oil in my vehicles and the zinc additive in the boat soon. The AE filters are supposed to be very good

magnum
03-16-2012, 12:28 AM
If you warm it up at of the water , just hook up a fake a lake to water intake under the boat and i usually let mine run for 15 to 20 min at idle , you can tell after the water starts coming out the exhaust in the back , it will start to get fairly hot water and after that maybe another 10 min, If not warmed up, it drains slower than syrup pouring

holdenh2o
03-16-2012, 10:07 PM
De-winterized today and took out on the lake at Texas Ski Ranch to run it. Ran like a beast. Took her home and changed the oil. Put new Amsoil in her, took all of the 5 qts. Put her to bed and may take her out again tomorrow.

ted shred
03-17-2012, 12:37 AM
I have used it for years. I use the AME15w40 diesel oil and an Eao filter. I change it at the end of every season. I use other Amsoils in all my cars and trucks and change once a year.

Jeff d
03-17-2012, 12:48 AM
After you break the filter loose with a wrench put a gallon zip lock bag on the filter as you unscrew it to catch the mess.

holdenh2o
03-17-2012, 01:03 AM
After you break the filter loose with a wrench put a gallon zip lock bag on the filter as you unscrew it to catch the mess.

Now you tell me:)

Just kidding.

That was the messiest part; now I'll know for the future.

I used the 15w-40 diesel/marine. Used a 41060 Napa Platinum filter.

Jeff d
03-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I didn't think of it myself. Someone else made the suggestion to me when I got my boat.

-V-
03-17-2012, 11:27 AM
De-winterized today and took out on the lake at Texas Ski Ranch to run it. Ran like a beast. Took her home and changed the oil. Put new Amsoil in her, took all of the 5 qts. Put her to bed and may take her out again tomorrow.

wait a minute, you can take your own boat out on the lake behind TSR?:confused::confused:

holdenh2o
03-17-2012, 11:50 AM
wait a minute, you can take your own boat out on the lake behind TSR?:confused::confused:

Not the lake behind, the lake beside. The lake behind is the cable park. The lake beside was dry last year.

If you spend enough $$$ in parts and service with them and want to lake test it, sure;)

Otherwise, I don't believe the lake beside TSR is open to the general public.

AZX9
03-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes! I cleaned up a crap load of oil because I didn't do that. Quite a bit came out after I loosened the filter. Cool engine takes about four hours before the oil stream breaks from solid to drip. Warm it up if you can. On mine (MCX) the water intake is right above a trailer support so I have to use a custom t-inlet on the intake on the inside and hook up the garden hose.

CantRepeat
03-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Drain your oil in about 5 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oDPBSX4nu0

I also take a 1 gallon plastic milk jug and cut it in half. I use this under the oil filter to catch the oil that runs out of it.