PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 81 SS owner

rotorhead
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Last fall a buddy donated his majior 81 SS restoration project to me. I've been pecking away at the restoration and got word from the shop that the motor is locked up tight and not worth re-building.
I found a 351W out of a 78 Mercury. Will this work with the proper marine conversions? It has a borg warner 1.52.1 trans that came off the old motor.

The boat floated in the guys garage during hurricane Ivan. The boat appears to be in good shape. I've pulled the carpet and decking and it looks ok. There are no dents or dings on the bottom or to the prop and rudder.
The gauges all look good as well. The steering and throttle cables are toast. Seats are fair and mabey make one more season. Fuel tanks is solid but the pylon has heavy corrosion.
The only site iv'e found so far for parts is skidim.com

Will post pics this wknd.

Tks
Jeff
Pensacola, FL

1redTA
03-15-2012, 11:18 PM
If you need some help I'm in Pace with an 81 SS powerslot

rotorhead
03-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I was through there yesterday coming back from whiting.

Yea that would be cool. Will you be around this weekend ?

Tks
Jeff

1redTA
03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
PM sent to your in box

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Welcome to Team Talk. Always happy to see someone bringing another classic back to life. SKIDIM is a great source of parts. May be worthwhile to locate the nearest Mastercraft dealer - mine has been a great source for parts and advice, as well as a place to go drool at the new stuff. Good luck!

Jim@BAWS
03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
I see you are in Pensacola Florida. I can certainly get you tune up parts and decals for your restoration. Thanks Jim

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com in Tampa