PDA

View Full Version : Complete prop failure...

mcskier
03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Was out skiing last week with a couple friends when the unthinkable happened. Complete prop failure. This was an OJ #438 that literally lost a blade. A totally clean shear.

http://img.tapatalk.com/62edb777-20a2-7410.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this where there is no impact and all three remaining blades are perfect? This occurred on the pullout for the third skier of the day, so pretty much full power. Luckily the blade went down and didn't bore itself into my hull!

JRW160
03-15-2012, 01:12 PM
There are a couple of other thread with this same thing happening. Have you contacted OJ about it?

Edit: here are some links
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44593
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36530

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Yikes...........:eek3:

mcskier
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
There are a couple of other thread with this same thing happening. Have you contacted OJ about it?

Edit: here are some links
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44593
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36530

Hmmmm. I have mixed emotions knowing I'm not alone on this.

My local dealer, Northwest Watersports, has sent it to OJ for me. They seemed pretty convinced it would be a free replacement.

BrooksfamX2
03-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Hopefully it didn't throw it into the bottom of your boat...........

NatesGr8
03-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Can you take a close up pic of the break? Is there any evidence of crack propagation? Or air pockets (casting voids)? Has the prop been previously repaired? Hope this doesn't happen to mine! Very lucky it didn't go up!

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
yikes, added checking the prop before boating...from some of the other threads. looks like one of the other blades save your hull.... yikes

mcskier
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Can you take a close up pic of the break? Is there any evidence of crack propagation? Or air pockets (casting voids)? Has the prop been previously repaired? Hope this doesn't happen to mine! Very lucky it didn't go up!

That's the only shot I took of it before I sent it off, but it looks exactly like the breaks in the other threads. I don't know much about metalwork, but half of the broken edge was smooth and darkened in a crescent shape and the remainder was a bit more granular. I actually looked at the prop a few days prior as I had just greased my rudder assembly and saw no signs of impending doom...

NatesGr8
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah unless you really look close at the root of all blades for a fine line you won't see it. Sounds to me like you had a crack growing for a while then she finally let loose. I wonder how many of these OJ sees. I'm contemplating taking my prop off and polishing out all of the machining/milling lines, this should prevent any cracks from forming down the road.

tr6coug
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Wow, how old is that prop?

ncsone
03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
I had the exact same thing happen on my PS197. I know of someone else who had it happened and the blade speared into the hull and it stuck. I think it is just fatigue that causes it. Those blades do flex a little any time a load is placed on them.

Talk to Eric @ OJ, he treated my right on a replacement wheel.

mcskier
03-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Wow, how old is that prop?

2009, probably 200 hours on it, almost exclusively pulling on private man-made lakes, ie. no debris in the water.

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Looks like a heat treat issue to me.:twocents:

mcskier
03-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this post. Eric at OJ saw this and PM'd me. He's inspected the prop and is covering it under warranty. Very happy camper here. Thank you, Eric!

DooSPX
03-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Eric is a great guy! No doubt! I love just BS'ing with him. One of the few anymore that go out of their way to help customers or even non customers. BAWS is the other company that has a great CS.

Tri4X2
03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
WOW that would scare the hell out of me.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Just wanted to follow up on this post. Eric at OJ saw this and PM'd me. He's inspected the prop and is covering it under warranty. Very happy camper here. Thank you, Eric!

Yet another happy customer:toast:

jmhjgh
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Maybe great customer service, but is there a quality problem? What is the failure mode, and manufacturing resolution so that it does not repeat? Any input from Eric?

DooSPX
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
IMO, I would not say its a defect in manufacturing as much as a possible flaw in the metal. Which would not be visible by inspection upon arriving at OJ Props. Once milled down, and the amount of flex the blades see during load (boat weight, torque, skier weight, etc) the flaw in the material shows its ugly head. OJ Props as been the leader in props for decades and I know Eric is committed to up holding the name and reputation that his Grandfather worked to achieve which has been the topic of a few of my conversations with him. Either way, Eric will take care of his customers!

EJ OJPROP
03-23-2012, 07:58 AM
The prop was repaired by us in Feb of 2009. I replaced the prop because we repaired it 3 years ago and it failed.

DooSPX
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
From the horses mouth! How have you been Eric?

psychobilly
03-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Eric, the vesconite cutlass bearings the the boys at SKIDIM called you about last month broke in just fine. Good stuff man and thank you for standing behind your product like this. ;-)