PDA

View Full Version : Narrow Garage

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Anyone ever modify their trailer to fit in a narrow garage. I miss by only about 2 inches. I was wondering if there are narrow trailer rims wheels and removable fenders... probably no chance, but thought it worth asking in case.

jafo9
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
so what did you end up buying?

sp00ky
03-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I would modify the garage over the trailer.

pkskier
03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
That's why they call you spooky

Jeff d
03-15-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't see why what you're suggesting wouldn't work if all you need to gain is 2" of clearance. You're probably going to need some different rims with more backspacing (Not necessarily any narrower). That will bring the center lines of the tires closer together. Remove fenders, modify or grind off brackets, install some narrower metal fenders from the aftermarket (You will likely need to fab up some brackets). When you shop for narrower series tires make sure they still have a sufficient load rating.

The problem I see is being that precise with your backing. If you can reduce the width by 2" will that mean that it will fit with 0" of clearance on each side? Or would it technically fit at the moment but you just need a bit of wiggle room? Once you get past the door I assume you have more clearance, right? Is this a tandem trailer or single axle? With a single axle it may be doable but with a tandem you really can't make small adjustments and if you're off by a degree or two you'll have to pull out and start over.

Jeff d
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Also, OEM MasterCraft fenders seem to be a hot item. So, you could likely offset the cost of your new fenders and bracket fabrication with the resale of those.

BrooksfamX2
03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
On and old boat and old garage I had a similar issue. I made a horizontal cut on the door jams and trim about 36" up from the pad. I took out the nails and replaced with a couples screws. When I wanted to take out or put the boat in the garage, I just unscrewed the lower jam section and it was enough room to slear the fender interference. The rough opening is usually 2"-4" wider than the finished opening. It was a bit of a pain but it worked and was cheap. This also depends on your garage contruction.

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
so what did you end up buying?

Nothing yet, but seems that almost all trailers are about the same width. Axles widths are pretty standard I guess. I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as the right boat crosses my path though.

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I don't see why what you're suggesting wouldn't work if all you need to gain is 2" of clearance. You're probably going to need some different rims with more backspacing (Not necessarily any narrower). That will bring the center lines of the tires closer together. Remove fenders, modify or grind off brackets, install some narrower metal fenders from the aftermarket (You will likely need to fab up some brackets). When you shop for narrower series tires make sure they still have a sufficient load rating.

The problem I see is being that precise with your backing. If you can reduce the width by 2" will that mean that it will fit with 0" of clearance on each side? Or would it technically fit at the moment but you just need a bit of wiggle room? Once you get past the door I assume you have more clearance, right? Is this a tandem trailer or single axle? With a single axle it may be doable but with a tandem you really can't make small adjustments and if you're off by a degree or two you'll have to pull out and start over.

I'm an ace when it comes to backing, I'm leaving .125" on each side for clearance. J/k, I'm thinking that I'll need an extra two or so inches more than what I have to reasonably consider backing it in.

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Also, OEM MasterCraft fenders seem to be a hot item. So, you could likely offset the cost of your new fenders and bracket fabrication with the resale of those.

Good point!

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
I would modify the garage over the trailer.

Had a contractor out this AM to get a quote for that, not that I'm cheap, but...

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
On and old boat and old garage I had a similar issue. I made a horizontal cut on the door jams and trim about 36" up from the pad. I took out the nails and replaced with a couples screws. When I wanted to take out or put the boat in the garage, I just unscrewed the lower jam section and it was enough room to slear the fender interference. The rough opening is usually 2"-4" wider than the finished opening. It was a bit of a pain but it worked and was cheap. This also depends on your garage contruction.

You know I should replace the trim soon anyway, maybe we can do it with thinner materials, make it look ok and buy an inch or two.

19_Skier
03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
are you sure the width of the boat isn't the same as the trailer? I remember measuring mine before I bought and although I can't recall the exact measurements, I recall them being very close if not identical. That could be model specific but something to check at least....

gotta_ski
03-16-2012, 03:32 AM
If you hit the opening hard enough and fast enough the first time, it will fit next time much easier. . . .:D

asmodeus2112
03-16-2012, 08:55 AM
are you sure the width of the boat isn't the same as the trailer? I remember measuring mine before I bought and although I can't recall the exact measurements, I recall them being very close if not identical. That could be model specific but something to check at least....

Yeah, depends on the boat.

asmodeus2112
03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
If you hit the opening hard enough and fast enough the first time, it will fit next time much easier. . . .:D

As long as the roof stays up!