PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines

ntidsl
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
So I need to replace a few brake lines on my trailer. Has anyone ever done this job? Since I have bought the trailer there has been a hole in at least one line. I tried to bleed the linjes a few years ago and just got fluid coming out the trailer half way back. I'd imagine they just rusted thru or whatever. Any advice?

Cary K.
03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I did this several years ago, with help from my father. I don't really have any advice for you though, sorry. Just simply unbolted old lines, ran new, and bled them. Don't remember it being too difficult of a job, bleeding them with the tongue was prob more of a PITA than anything.

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
not tough at all, you can even get a rubber break line kit to not mess with the bends. You may need a new master cylinder if it kept on draining and moisture got in...

I got my parts here... http://www.pacifictrailers.com/trailer-brake-line-kits-hydraulic-fittings.html

FrankSchwab
03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree. I redid my braking system a couple of years ago, and running the brake lines was the easiest part. On my, the plastic clips that hold the brake line to axle were broken, so I got some rubber-coated electrical clamps from HD and used them instead. Out here with freshwater lakes and zero humidity for most of the year, it has worked fine for me.

ahhudgins
03-15-2012, 04:38 PM
The brake lines on my 95 trailer rusted because they had sections of foam rubber around them at different points inside the trailer tubing. I replaced my brake lines but l didn't install the old rubber tubing (it was holding in moisture). Now when I hit a bump my brake lines rattle inside the trailer tubing. I can't have my trailer making noises going down the road so I will install something over the lines other than the foam rubber.

I used the solid lines and I had to buy it in sections with screw together fittings....pretty simple.

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
If you go with the flexible tubing the surge brake could rattle when lightly breaking...any way the tubing needs to be secured and/or a little shim for the master cylinder... It's pretty amazing how simply the surge brake actuator is designed...simple and efffective.

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I bolted my old defunct actuator in place and installed electric drums one my last trailer. Really cheap and I loved being able to control, test and adjust braking power from the cab. Can't do this economically if you have disks though.

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 09:36 PM
not tough at all, you can even get a rubber break line kit to not mess with the bends. You may need a new master cylinder if it kept on draining and moisture got in...

I got my parts here... http://www.pacifictrailers.com/trailer-brake-line-kits-hydraulic-fittings.html

+1 for Pacific Trailers.

ntidsl
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks gents. I will start messing around with.