PDA

View Full Version : Any idea why my swim platform was raised?

jafo9
03-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I just noticed yesterday that my swim platform is about 3 inches higher than stock. I bought the boat about a month or so ago and I've been working on getting her ready for the summer. There were so many things I was focused on when making the purchase that I didn't notice the higher swim platform. Included are some pics of mine and then a few I swiped off this site for comparison. The PO apparently mainly used the boat to surf. He replaced the stock rear tanks with 750# bags, added the trim tab and put on a high altitude prop. All I can figure is that he thought the stock location would interfere with the surf wave. I double checked and the piston for the trim tab has no bearing on the location of the platform. I have kids and I'll probably need to move the platform back to stock. Any thoughts on why they moved the platform and how do I get the brackets to relocate the platform? Thanks.

dmayer84
03-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Looks to be in the same exact location as mine

bobx1
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Either way (if he moved it up or not), I would not move it back down.

sp00ky
03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
How would it have been raised as there is no other place for the brackets.

sp00ky
03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Perhaps it's simply a replacement platform which may be taller.

jafo9
03-15-2012, 10:19 AM
How would it have been raised as there is no other place for the brackets.

it looks like the brackets are taller. look at the 4th picture on the red boat with the led lights next to the exhaust. those appear to be the smaller brackets. the receiver mounted to the transom appears to be identical.

jafo9
03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Either way (if he moved it up or not), I would not move it back down.

why? thanks.

sp00ky
03-15-2012, 10:24 AM
it looks like the brackets are taller. look at the 4th picture on the red boat with the led lights next to the exhaust. those appear to be the smaller brackets. the receiver mounted to the transom appears to be identical.

Ok let's define terms mounts are bolted to transom and brackets are bolted to platform.

So yes I'd say they are not stock brackets for this boat.

JRW160
03-15-2012, 11:02 AM
You are probably right. I would be that he moved it up to keep it from interfering with the surf wave. I have seen a few people who have made smaller custom swim platforms for surfing, but raising the platform would be just as effective.

tph
03-15-2012, 11:09 AM
It may have been moved so that it was not submerged with the boat at rest with ballast.

73blue
03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Ok let's define terms mounts are bolted to transom and brackets are bolted to platform.

So yes I'd say they are not stock brackets for this boat.

The brackets are definitely aftermarket. I just checked mine out (04 x-10, should be close) and they are much shorter. Buy some stock brackets, easy fix.

Jeff d
03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I kinda like those tall brackets. My swim platform is like 3" under water with my ballast full (2,700 lbs + peeps).

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I kinda like those tall brackets. My swim platform is like 3" under water with my ballast full (2,700 lbs + peeps).

Sounds like a trade setting up.:popcorn:

Jeff d
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a trade setting up.:popcorn:

Maybe but I also have young kids. So, I'd probably like them when wakeboarding/surfing with my posse but then regret them when it's just hanging out with the kids and having to help them get on the platform.

jafo9
03-15-2012, 01:55 PM
this may be one of those things i have to try for a while and see how it works. can you still buy these stock brackets? i know with things like vinyl and graphics they are no longer made for my 02. thanks.

bobx1
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
why? thanks.

I should clarify my remarks....

A - I would not move it down if it required doing any drilling or patch work to the hull.

B - As others have mentioned, with full ballast, I would rather have it higher than stock.

BrooksfamX2
03-15-2012, 02:05 PM
My last boats platform was about 4" off the water when still and when loaded about 1" and it was great either way. 4" off the water was no big deal for our kids. As noted, most MC (stock located) platforms are under water with ballast and peeps on board which is not ideal either..........

I'd leave it and try it for a season before making any changes. You may like it where it at.

BrooksfamX2
03-15-2012, 02:11 PM
The best ever vid shows the MC platforms under water most of the time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO3-06syk4I

AZX9
03-16-2012, 02:43 AM
Is it possible to drill holes further up the bracket and slide the platform down a few inches or is the mount closed on the bottom to restrict it from sliding down further.

gotta_ski
03-16-2012, 03:02 AM
My brackets are closed at the bottom. I think they all are (or at least all the ones I've ever seen) so that the weight of the platform and whoever is on it is resting on the bottom of the bracket and not on the pins. I think you might get some bent and tweaked pins that you'd have to hammer out if they took all the weight.

It does bring up an interesting idea for adjustable brackets. You could have one setting for no ballast, another for full ballast. You wouldn't change it every time you went out or even every day, but you could select the proper height when you launched it. I bet you guys that run a ton of ballast would like your platform to sit a bit higher, huh?

jafo9
03-16-2012, 06:27 AM
the bottom of the brackets is closed so there is no way to lower it. its in so tight i can't even remove the platform from the boat. they must have installed the brackets 1st and then screwed the teak to the brackets.

BrooksfamX2
03-16-2012, 09:31 AM
the bottom of the brackets is closed so there is no way to lower it. its in so tight i can't even remove the platform from the boat. they must have installed the brackets 1st and then screwed the teak to the brackets.

It looks like corrosion is likely making it tight. Put some penetrating oil on it and let it soak for a couple of days. You may need to hammer it out the first time. Clean up the corrosion, and it should loosen the fit.

Stx221
03-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Could you guys use the shorter brackets and drill an extra set of holes in them?
That way when you want to add tons of ballast, you just toss the platform up to the higher setting and you are good to go. Or if you are out with your kids, just drop it back down.

dmayer84
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I have to remove my platform by unscrewing it every year. I am guessing that it is stock since I bought it 2 years old with 20 hrs.

jafo9
03-16-2012, 01:02 PM
They're not frozen by corrosion. I'm locked in by the rub rail hitting the top of the platform. Probably just like dmayer.