PDA

View Full Version : 13w6 Sub Install -- 09 x-45

CO2006X-30
03-14-2012, 07:51 PM
Ladies & Gents, has anyone installed a 13' subwoofer in a xseries boat? Its a JL 13w6. I am thinking about placing it under the steering column but afraid of two things. 1) it is going to get wet but I plan on Rhino Lining the box. 2) Concerned a little about too much vibration near the instruments.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to install? Does anyone know of a company who can make this box? I have taken it to two stereo stores here in Colorado and I cannot get a level of comfort with either.

Any help would be appreciated...

CantRepeat
03-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Do NOT cut into the glass under the dash on the foot well. All of the electronics and wiring are behind that panel.

EarmarkMarine
03-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Anyone can make that enclosure if you give them the maximum dimensions and provided the dimensions match the ideal requirements for that particular woofer. Part of the caculation has to consider the insertion through the available opening. And if the enclosure has to be angled into position that alters the dimensions. To start you have to make those measurements and determinations yourself. That is why the boat always first determines the displacement and the combination of woofer and enclosure. The largest woofer does not always win in performance. Past a point it will be the enclosure that mostly determines the low end extension. So choosing a woofer before you have an exact maximum enclosure displacement is placing the cart before the horse.
Also, you need to vent the compartment with an opening and grill of sorts that is equal to the surface area of the driver. An expansive and therefore compliant compartment displacement with adjoining gunnel cavities combined with a small and resistive vent creates little impetus for the bass radiation to flow into the cockpit area. As a result the losses are significant and you have more of a boat shaker than a musical bass maker. It can certainly kill the transients and tonal construction if it's not a well planned design.

David
Earmark Marine

CO2006X-30
03-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I am beginning to wonder if the 13w6 was a mistake. I want good clean sound, not muddy noise.

I am meeting with a cabinet company this weekend. They are going to make all the necessary cuts on their cnc machine. Fingers crossed....

rgardjr1
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
It can certainly kill the transients ...

David
Earmark Marine

Wow I've seen pictures of some big systems, but a sub that is able to kill transients is over the top. It was just a couple of days ago that the guys behind Homeless Hotspots started taking a bunch of flak. You guys in TX are on the leading edge of how to deal with the Homeless population.

JRW160
03-15-2012, 02:27 PM
According to the jl site, the recommended sealed enclosure size is 1.625 cubic ft. You should have plenty of room under your observer's seat for that size box. I have a 2.0 cubic ft box in my 2003 x-2 under the observer's seat. It takes up pretty much the whole compartment, but I would guess that the x45 has more room under there.

I considered putting mine under the dash or adding another one under there, but I was afraid it would constantly vibrate all of the screws in the dash loose and rattle everything up there.

EarmarkMarine
03-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I think it has a lot to do with the Texas redneck heritage. If a woofer can't kill the transient response and simultaneously kill a few of the homeless in the process it's not considered to be viable. It does help keep unemployment low and Rick Perry supports that.

Wow I've seen pictures of some big systems, but a sub that is able to kill transients is over the top. It was just a couple of days ago that the guys behind Homeless Hotspots started taking a bunch of flak. You guys in TX are on the leading edge of how to deal with the Homeless population.

bluestreak
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Let us know how it turns out

CO2006X-30
04-03-2012, 06:57 PM
The sub sounds unbelievable! I installed the ported enclosure under the passenger helm and installed four 4" ports to let sound travel. This baby is bumpin! Ill post pictures soon.

havinfun
04-19-2012, 02:09 AM
got those pics yet

Deltaxstar
04-19-2012, 11:08 PM
I just bought a 12" w7 for my truck getting a custom enclosure built I hope it hits hard too I've never heard a w7 but I have heard a w6 and they are loud!!

Have any pics of the vents you put in the boat for sound travel? I need to add some in mine cause four twelves move some air lol with the seat closed it sounds no where near as good

havinfun
04-20-2012, 12:31 AM
^^ they are loud as long as you have the proper power backing it up!!!!

Deltaxstar
04-20-2012, 12:34 AM
^^ they are loud as long as you have the proper power backing it up!!!!

1000 watts rms

havinfun
04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Be ready to get rocked then. You should be happy with it

CO2006X-30
06-19-2012, 07:44 PM
I keep forgetting. Sorry guys. I will snap some this weekend.

CO2006X-30
07-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Gents,

It turned out a little sloppy BUT sounds AMAZING! I ended up drilling four 4" port holes and actually used a black floor drain as my hole grommet. Most people think they're heaters. Overall, I am happy. This baby bumps and sounds super clean.