PDA

View Full Version : '91-'94 middle floor section

Kyle
03-14-2012, 02:43 PM
I am wanting to replace this section on my boat and one of my friends boat. I'm not wild about using wood. Has anyone done this before. How did you fix yours.

I was thinking about aluminum sheet with braces that would go across that are welded on to the bottom of the plate. On the part where the engine cover latches go I was considering a solid piece of aluminum bracing on the bottom side of a plate so that it could be tapped for the engine cover bolts.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I have access to all types of welders, plasma cutters, torches etc to make a nice metal one.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Guess I'll never get people looking at the post since everything gets moved instantly.......

Stx221
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Looked at the thread before the move and subscribed to it. I liked the work on Phntmski's motor. Looked like a very solid build of an engine to me (should my LT1 ever need help, I plan on a similar type of build), so I am really interested about how you tackle this project.

The center floor in my 190 is a touch soft (not bad yet at all), but I am interested in seeing what you come up with here. I may take care of it on the early side!

81SNS
03-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Guess I'll never get people looking at the post since everything gets moved instantly.......

X2, its hard to get good exposure when they move you to the back pages.......
I guess you dont like the marine plywood with a coat of resin?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-14-2012, 03:28 PM
How about starboard with aluminum supports. Haven't used this much, but corrosion would never be an issue. It is awfully flexible though.

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
If I were to do it, I'd get a couple of big HDPE cutting boards and put a few HDPE cross supports for added rigidity. The reason they used the Honeycomb aluminum was because it was light. Unfortunately, it's not all that tough, particularly when it has undersized washers holding the motorbox hinges to it. The HDPE won't be light, but it won't deteriorate either. Reasonably inexpensive too, I would assume

MIskier
03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
The only problem with HDPE other than the weight is that it cracks.

Kyle a properly reinforced aluminum plate would work fine, and I would agree with a solid bar with a tap to receive the cover bolts. Another possibility would be a composite honeycomb panel.

loeweb
03-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I had a soft piece on my 88 that I wasn't willing to spend the money on replacing the wood, and more importantly recarpetting the whole boat. I set a router with a square bit just deep enough to clear out the plywood but not the Fiberglass on the carpet side and plunged out channels perpendicular to the stringers. I then dried out the plywood as much as possible and place wooden dowels (I think 5 total) 3/4" thick in the channels along with some gorilla glue to dry. Once dry, I covered with fiberglass and sealed the whole thing up. It has held up very well, and if you weren't in the boat before, you would never know there was a problem.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Another issue that I have is that I want to use my boat here pretty soon but my OCD went crazy over the winter. My upholstery had a few nicks in it so it all came out and is getting redone. My fuel tank is out so that I can clean it. The rear floor section is out to be rebuilt. The stereo system and the led and neon lights are out because the upholstery is out. My starter needs replacing as it is the origional starter and I need order one. The 2 optima batteries that ran the stereo have bad cells in them and need replacing. Basically my boat is torn down and I am running out of time.

Not only is my boat torn apart, I have 2 other Mastercrafts that I am working on. One needs a few drain plugs to be retapped and a carb put on. The other is a 2001 X9 getting all new upholstery, and graphics. The previous owner used the dock as the brakes and has rashed the sides real nice. We are wetsanding the entire boat with 800 grit followed by 1000 then 1500 and compounded with a high speed buffer to finish her off. We are not even half way through with that boat and he is wanting it finished yesterday. His stereo is out and needs to be rewired so that is adding a lot of extra time involved to get his boat rolling.

I would love to make a metal floor section but I dont have a week to build one as I do work a regular 40 hour work week and have a life with my gf that I have to maintain too.

This is really too many projects for a very short amount of time. I am probably going to put a wood piece in there just to get the boat usable and then build a metal piece when I have the time. Right now I am stressing big time to get all of my obligations to my friends taken care of.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
The only problem with HDPE other than the weight is that it cracks.

Kyle a properly reinforced aluminum plate would work fine, and I would agree with a solid bar with a tap to receive the cover bolts. Another possibility would be a composite honeycomb panel.

Where can I get the honeycomb material?

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 04:34 PM
This is a separate panel that unscrews and lifts out. He wouldn't have to recarpet anything other than the panel.

Kyle, if the whole panel isn't sagging, but rather, the motorbox bolts have pulled through, there is an easier fix. Just use some plywood or aluminum or whatever, and run a strip of it across the underside part of the floor where the bolts have pulled through. Drill some holes in the plywood and use some longer screws. Use some oversized washers to spread the load better. Worked like a charm on my old 93.

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Where can I get the honeycomb material?

Try McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=gnv0hv)

etduc
03-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Here's link. http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=gnv0gt

They stock up to 1/2".

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Beat you to it!!! :)

etduc
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Beat you to it!!! :)

Don't count...You didn't post a linky! 8p

Kyle
03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
This is a separate panel that unscrews and lifts out. He wouldn't have to recarpet anything other than the panel.

Kyle, if the whole panel isn't sagging, but rather, the motorbox bolts have pulled through, there is an easier fix. Just use some plywood or aluminum or whatever, and run a strip of it across the underside part of the floor where the bolts have pulled through. Drill some holes in the plywood and use some longer screws. Use some oversized washers to spread the load better. Worked like a charm on my old 93.

My middle section is gone it needs to be replaced. I have tried to rig it and repair it too many times. My problem is that it is worn out and there is no way that I can repair it again. It sags in the middle and the screws have pulled through even with washers and nuts on the bottom side. It is just time to replace it.

MIskier
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
McMaster-Carr will have the material. Plascore and Hexcel are the two main suppliers to the marine OEM's.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Try McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=gnv0hv)

Here's link. http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=gnv0gt

They stock up to 1/2".

I need

1" thick

27.5" wide

37.5" long

they dont have one that is big enough

Kyle
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I called them too, not just looked at their website

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Don't count...You didn't post a linky! 8p

Sure I did (and it goes to the HCAL) :D

etduc
03-14-2012, 05:41 PM
I need

1" thick
27.5" wide
37.5" long
they dont have one that is big enough

Didn't realize, it was that big. Sounds like, it's going to be expensive.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Didn't realize, it was that big. Sounds like, it's going to be expensive.

It is a boat....... Everything will be expensive

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 05:57 PM
So, Kyle, what is the issue. Is the entire panel collapsed, or is it just the typical motorbox bolts pulled through?

Kyle
03-14-2012, 06:05 PM
So, Kyle, what is the issue. Is the entire panel collapsed, or is it just the typical motorbox bolts pulled through?

Both. I have had too many people dance in the back of the boat and my carpet gets soaked when I go to the party cove. Eventually old poorly made pieces wear out and I need to make another one. Time is my BIG issue right now. I took the carpet off of the old section and it can be reused but the floor is collapsed and cracked in one place. It is just time to start over with a new section.

I am afraid of using plastic as it can crack and eventually it will become brittle and break too. That is why I am considering using a wood piece using spray adhesive so that removing the carpet again will not be too hard and eventually when I have time build a really nice alluminum one to go in there. I hate the fact that the screws eventually pull through so I am wanting to tap some threads into a solid stock of alluminum. I have used a washer and nut on the bottom but if you need to remove the floor section it is a PITA to take apart and put back together. Right now I have too many other projects to build a really nice floor section but want something that will last forever. I more than likely will have to build this piece twice.

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Wood with marine epoxy over it. Spray adhesive for the carpet. Screw the motorbox down, and build the replacement when you have more time. It's warm outside. I'm going to the lake in 45 minutes. Get some flooring in that boat and worry about the forever piece when it's cold outside.

Sodar
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Wood coated with Linex truck bed spray. It'll outlast the boat and I am sure a man of your resources could whip it up in about an hour, have it sprayed for barely any money at all and cover it with your old carpet.

That said, my 197 uses a peice of solid aluminum similar to your first idea. It is just a flat piece that they "broke" at the 4 edges and the welded the corners. I think they use 2 square tube supports welded on the bottom for additional support. I'll take a pic the next time I have my engine cover off.