PDA

View Full Version : X9 surfing ballast setup

AZX9
03-14-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm looking for some advise from X9/209 or even X7 owners who have mastered the surf wake ballast size, amount, placement, and configuration. I usually only have a few folks on board so body count doesnt come into play much on my boat.:confused:

Age Fighter
03-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm looking for some advise from X9/209 or even X7 owners who have mastered the surf wake ballast size, amount, placement, and configuration. I usually only have a few folks on board so body count doesnt come into play much on my boat.:confused:

I sold an X9 to a guy two or three years ago and it was the surf ability that sealed the deal. We had a full tank of gas, a full bench ballast and one large guy on in the corner, and the hull dug down and put out a nice surf wake. I was shocked. I had never used the boat for surf before.

Just find some bigger friends!

02ProstarSammyD
03-15-2012, 11:01 AM
All of my buddies are 220+. I encourage them to date ballast babes. My buddy has a 450+ friend. He puts that mamma jamma on the back tips and it plunges!

AZX9
03-16-2012, 12:31 AM
I sold an X9 to a guy two or three years ago and it was the surf ability that sealed the deal. We had a full tank of gas, a full bench ballast and one large guy on in the corner, and the hull dug down and put out a nice surf wake. I was shocked. I had never used the boat for surf before.

Just find some bigger friends!

Did you have just the stock rear ballast or did you upsize? Thinking of doing the wakemaker fly hi pro X 750lb in the rear with another 750 on the side of the engine with the center ski locker filled. Should give me around 1800lbs total without a load of peeps.

AZX9
03-16-2012, 12:34 AM
All of my buddies are 220+. I encourage them to date ballast babes. My buddy has a 450+ friend. He puts that mamma jamma on the back tips and it plunges!

Better keep him off of the platform!

Age Fighter
03-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Did you have just the stock rear ballast or did you upsize? Thinking of doing the wakemaker fly hi pro X 750lb in the rear with another 750 on the side of the engine with the center ski locker filled. Should give me around 1800lbs total without a load of peeps.

Stock rear ballast.

02ProstarSammyD
03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE][Better keep him off of the platform!/QUOTE]

I was gonna post a picture but sure it violates some sort of rule

AZX9
03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Was it anything like this one? I'll bet you can surf behind this boat.
http://i42.tinypic.com/nyg11f.jpg

AZX9
04-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Anyone with surf experience on an X9?

amcmac
04-06-2012, 05:36 AM
I use the stock 500lb bag and an additional 750lb bag on the side of the engine on my X-7.

AZX9
04-07-2012, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure if mine is five hundred but I would say not. It fills under the seat and gets about 10" tall when filled.

wiltok
04-08-2012, 11:18 PM
My wife and I have surfed behind our X-9 for years - stock ballast with a person or two in the boat (average size). IMO - it's all about technique - not necessarily a huge wake. I can throw the rope and surf until we run out of gas.

p.s. Our 100 lb chocolate lab is usually in there too - forget about him!

NKDAV8R
04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone put additional ballast in the storage above the gas tank?

AZX9
04-10-2012, 01:03 AM
This is the maiden voyage of my X9 surfing trials this weekend. Filled both ballast front and rear. Put my wife and daughter in the back port side and i sat in the observers seat or hung off the side holding on to the tower while driving. My son who can usually surf without a rope on not so good waves had to hold the rope the entire time. Wakemakers will be getting some calls from me. I also need to change out the impellers. They didn't want to work very well in the rear. Had to hand unfill the rear. I was able to get a little better results with him in the boat and all four of us side loading. The wave was nice and crisp and seamed to be surfable.

curtish
04-10-2012, 01:50 AM
We surf ours with rear ballast only, one big guy in the corner and a longboard.

AZX9
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
This is what I'm looking at doing. I also will look at plumbing one in on the side of the engine.

http://www.wakemakers.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/1/image/501/

CantRepeat
04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
You will never have a surf wake on an X9 209 that will be good. If what you want to do is surf, buy a new boat.

mitchelmilitiapres
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
You will never have a surf wake on an X9 209 that will be good. If what you want to do is surf, buy a new boat.

I disagree. I think even direct drives are fully capable to creating waves big enough for anyone to surf. The key is weighting the boat properly. The thing about direct drives is that there wake is shaped by the front half of the boat (from the captains chair to the bow). You have to be a little more nose heavy to give you wave a little more size. This will elongate your wave and widen your sweet spot. You still need weight in the tail to give it shape, but probably 60/40 nose/tail (for direct drives).

V-drives are a different beast. The wakes are shapped by the back half of the boat, that's why typically you see boats that are more tail heavy. Just my 2c

AZX9
04-11-2012, 12:01 AM

WOW have you ever owned and weighted down a 209 or X9 to make such a secure statement? I would guess that would hinge on what "good" means as well. Your "good" may mean excellent to me so I don't know exactly how to take your statement. I realize I own a ski boat with a "wakeboard edition" sticker stuck on the back of it and a tower. Would I buy it for the best wakes and best surf? Hell no, but it was a great boat with super low hours and fits the main purpose for me which is spending time on the water with the wife and sometimes family to decompress from a weeks work with cold beverage and bumpin tunes.

Seams as though others on here have done it and think it's doable with some added weight and distribution . I don't think I will ever end up with a six foot swell but at the end of the day its about water displacement affected by a few key ingredients. If its not the best wake I'll just pop open another beer and float down the river. One things for sure as it relates to many of us on this forum if we had an extra 70-90+ grand we would just run down and get us a new boat.:cool:

epnault
04-11-2012, 05:26 AM
AZX9,
We started surfing with our boat last year and it was a blast. Some of the things I did was I got a bunch of fat sacs I could move around and see how it works. One of the others things I did was update my PP to the latest GPS Stargazer Wake Edition. This made a big differance. The paddle wheel version doesn't work for surfing very well. Also, I noticed that my speeds were a bit lower than I have been reading about recommended speeds close to 12 mph on Vdrives. Another thing that helps is bigger boards and more weight in the nose. For example, I am 6'1" 235lbs and my speed is 9.8 and I am using the largest hyperlite broadcast board. Good luck. The X9 is fully capable to have fun surfing.

sizzler
04-11-2012, 05:33 AM

i disagree...i fill up the rear and front sacks....put 3x 5 gallon drums of water in the walkthrough section up front,and 4 behind the drivers seat...we have more than enough wake to surf....

if i want more,i normally head out to Mavericks:cool:

CantRepeat
04-11-2012, 07:16 AM
You're right it's just relative to what you think is a good surf wake.

FoggyNogginz
04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
On the X9, we use the U shaped fly high bag, but we fold in the leg on the non-surfing side of the boat. This works great and we can surf all day this way. However, I also find that filling up the bag in the ski locker creates more chop and a less smooth wave, so we skip that one. I have videos that I can share one I get back to a computer. I'm on a subway now!

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

AZX9
04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
So you are filling the rear factory bag and putting a bow bag up front?

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
No...niether. I have this 1500lb fat seat bag (http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=fly+high+fat+seat&qpvt=fly+high+fat+seat&FORM=HURE) in the back, and we fold in one leg of the U-shape so that more water goes between the engine compartment and the transom storage locker. If you have this plus two friends on the surfing side, you will sink the back corner of the boat down to the water line. In fact, water often skims over the back corner while we surf! :-)

AZX9
04-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Ok, I have to see pics or video of that.

If I understand correctly you are using no weight forward. Everything is in the back? Do you two friends sit up front, on the observer seat, or in the rear corner?

smoketu
04-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Here's my general set up:stock ballast full, integrated bow sack full, 750 along side which ever the rider prefers. One guy in the rear seat on the same side and one driver. I have inserted a pic but it's kind of crappy lotta white wash.

AZX9
05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
My ballast equipment showed up today. Two 750lb. Sacks and a tsunami pump. Installing this weekend and testing on Memorial weekend.

02ProstarSammyD
05-21-2012, 04:02 PM
^are you running that on top of stock? Thinking that sounds about right and trying to get a true surf setup for mine. Keep us posted

AZX9
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
I didn't get pics but I went out this Memorial weekend with the family and some friends of my kids. All total we had nine in the X9. Filled the new 750 in the rear, 750 on the side of the engine, and the ski locker ballast. So with all total I bet I was getting close to 3000 lbs. I had water intermittantly shooting over the gas cap. Need to tweak weight placement and speed but over all the wake was good.

FoggyNogginz
06-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Just for fun, here is a new video of me surfing behind the X9 (https://vimeo.com/43373846)with "way too much" ballast. :-)

epnault
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Can you please share your setup? That looks really awesome

BrianT
06-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Uhmmm....and who says you can't surf behind a DD...... great video for those nay sayers. I was surfing behind my X7 yesterday as well.

kkkeating
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Not bad, but you can get it even better with the X9 such that you can get the wave to curl over itself without all the white wash. It looks to me like you don't have enough weight in front to pull the swim platform out of the water. Our setup is as follows:

Stock ballast under bench seat: 350 Lbs
Upgraded Ballast in ski locker: 350 Lbs
Fat Sac over port side gas tank, in locker: 150 Lbs
Fat sack, port side along side engine
compartment, front touching passaserger seat: 750 lbs
Fat brick, in breezeway: 150 lbs
Fat Sac, front port seat, hanging just
a tad over the front bow: 250 lbs
Total Ballast 2050 lbs

Add one person on the back sun deck, port side, one on the engine compartment and one more on the port side rail near the passenger seat and you get an unbelievable wave. The only problem I have is we wake surf on the Sacramento river and other boaters who try to cross the wake have to slow way down or they get tossed all around. Half the fun is watching the Walley’s try to drive across the wake. You have to experiment with the people placement as you can go from a good wave to a great wave by just moving people a few feet.

AZX9
06-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Just for fun, here is a new video of me surfing behind the X9 (https://vimeo.com/43373846)with "way too much" ballast. :-)

I set mine up with 1750 lbs. 750 across the back. 750 on the side of the engine. Nine people in the boat and my wake was not that good. Hell I had water cresting over the gas cap every once in a while. I even had the 250lb ski locker ballast full. Maybe thats just the camera angle that makes it look so different. What speed are you running?

AZX9
07-07-2012, 11:26 PM
This was from the 4th. 750 across the back and 750 on the side ski locker guessing was a 200. Still don't think it looked as good as the video. I think i'll try and put in the stock 350 in the rear and move the 750's a little further forward somehow next time.

FoggyNogginz
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Nice! Pretty lake too. I surf at 10.5 on the PerfectPass and it seems to work well.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

FoggyNogginz
08-30-2012, 02:52 PM
My setup these days is simple. I had a custom bag made for the back that holds 830lbs, one on the port side that is 400, and a 250lb bag in the front.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express