PDA

View Full Version : Monster MTK tower for 97 Prostar 205

addo
03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi Guys,
Looking to put a tower on my 97 Prostar 205 and like the look of the new MTK tower but not a fan of the bimini that sits on top.
Do you think the tower would cause too much stress at the mounting point?
Would you need to put in extra bracing underneath?
Do you think it would look good?
Being in Australia getting a new dimension tower becomes way too expensive so need to look at other alternatives
What do you guys reckon?

sp00ky
03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Hi Guys,
Looking to put a tower on my 97 Prostar 205 and like the look of the new MTK tower but not a fan of the bimini that sits on top.
Do you think the tower would cause too much stress at the mounting point?
Would you need to put in extra bracing underneath?
Do you think it would look good?
Being in Australia getting a new dimension tower becomes way too expensive so need to look at other alternatives
What do you guys reckon?

I have a monster tower on my 94 205. I think it looks great and as long as you tighten bolts every once in awhile its doing fine. I'm a 6'1" 215 lb wakeboorder (do your own metric conversions LOL) with 3 inverts and tower is holding up well. I don't like the look of the towers which look like shrimp boats as in most of the new dimension towers. ( no offense to anyone as they are high end)

Tower is about 9 years old and I'm thinking I need to replace the rubber on the footings but that's it.

I would upgrade to the quick releases for all 4 mount points and it's very easy

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
If it's mounted properly there won't be much added stress and Yes, you need to glass in some reinforcements under the gunwales where the tower mounts, so you don't get spider cracks at those points.

Jeff d
03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't like the look of the towers which look like shrimp boats as in most of the new dimension towers. ( no offense to anyone as they are high end)

Ha! Never thought about that before.

LaRue
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

addo
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Spooky, I'm the same height but only 183 lbs so we shouldn't have any issues.
Thanks for the other replys.
The MTK is not here for another month and have a friend currently bringing a boat over with one on. Think I'll have a good look and go down that path. Just have to work out what bimini to put on

Double D
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
If it's mounted properly there won't be much added stress and Yes, you need to glass in some reinforcements under the gunwales where the tower mounts, so you don't get spider cracks at those points.

Hmmmm. I installed my MT back in 2003 on my 205 and never had to add glass anywhere and don't have one spider crack. They come with thick backing plates and rubber pads at the mounting points.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Jeff d
03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Hmmmm. I installed my MT back in 2003 on my 205 and never had to add glass anywhere and don't have one spider crack. They come with thick backing plates and rubber pads at the mounting points.

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk
He's talking about an MTK though which is a new reverse arch tower. It connects at "2 points" rather than 4 like the original monster towers. So, I would think reinforcement would be necessary.

sp00ky
03-15-2012, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=Jeff d;822562]He's talking about an MTK though which is a new reverse arch tower. It connects at "2 points" rather than 4 like the original monster towers. So, I would think reinforcement would be necessary.[/

It still has 4 points it's just two are way close together.

sp00ky
03-15-2012, 09:04 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Shrimp back roll, shrimp raley, shrimp front flip, shrimp tantrum, shrimp möbius....

higgy57
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
heres my mtk tower i ordered it on 3/13 and it arrived on 3/22 and installed it on saturday and couldnt be happier with my choice!http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=652&pictureid=3892

higgy57
03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
and also to add onto the tower was pretty easy to mount took a long time though almost all day cause the the legs are meant to be perfectly flat and were i mounted mine it tapered in on the back and also as to strengthing it im still working on it im about 15 hours into laying fiberglass and cutting marine wood to run stringers in the side of the boat with all that said im a big guy (6,2 and 275lbs) and i ride hard i dont wanna see any stress cracks in my boat at all

Double D
03-27-2012, 08:58 AM
heres my mtk tower i ordered it on 3/13 and it arrived on 3/22 and installed it on saturday and couldnt be happier with my choice!http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=652&pictureid=3892

That actually looks pretty good, IMO. You picked a good position on the boat.

Did Monster recommend glass reinforcement?

higgy57
03-27-2012, 07:05 PM
well from what they told me was that if the boat was atleast 3/8 thick were i mounted the tower that all i needed to use was the 1/4 backing plates, after i drilled all the holes i soon reliezed that i was just under a 1/4 on all the holes. called them and asked on what there advice would be for me to do, shortly after the call he emailed me and exact diagram of what i needed and just finished this after noon now it is rock solid no movement at all:)