PDA

View Full Version : Faria through hull transducer

02ProstarSammyD
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Have a Faria gauge ds0110a and the transom mount transducer is shot due to a bad pull in on the trailer and a bad mounting spot. Just replaced my PP with stargazer and have the open hole. THinking a hull mount would be better. Would any faria thru hull work or are certain models matched up. Prob an elementary question but just don't know.

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 10:23 AM
You're in luck. I did this last year. Yes, it can be done. There is a special transducer that fits the 2" hole left by your perfect pass paddle wheel. It took a call to Faria to get it figured out.

If you have depth and water temperature on your gauge, you need to order it from Faria. It's Part Number SN0036A, which is a thru-hull transducer with depth and temp that requires a 2" hole (this is different from the standard transducer, but the price is the same). You have to order the air temp. probe separately.

If yours is just depth, then call Faria and they'll get the right part for you.

Often times, the term through-hull gets tossed out when the person is really talking about "in-hull," i.e., epoxied to the inside of the bilge. This one is truly "through-hull."

Good luck.

02ProstarSammyD
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks man. I'll shoot them a call this morning. Mine doesn't have temp. Do the in hull actually work worth a darn?

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Yes, they work fine as long as you put it in the right spot and don't have bubbles in the epoxy. I replaced a working Hummingbird with an in-hull with the Faria because I wanted depth, air, and water in the same gauge with an updated look (you will lose the water temp feature in Perfect Pass when you do this and, no, you cannot plug the wire from the perfect pass into the Faria transducer to get water temp).

02ProstarSammyD
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Not to sound like a redneck but if I wanted to know the water temp I'd jump right in. He said he didn't have a 2" for the thru hull just a 1 5/8" so I might look into the in hull. I really don't want to drill anymore hulls in the transom at this point

mikeg205
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Not to sound like a redneck but if I wanted to know the water temp I'd jump right in. He said he didn't have a 2" for the thru hull just a 1 5/8" so I might look into the in hull. I really don't want to drill anymore hulls in the transom at this point

LMAO...unless I'm fishin' the water reads on my hand - damn effen cold...damn cold, really cold (time to ski), cold, cool, warm, bath water... :D :D

02ProstarSammyD
03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
followed by "I WAS IN THE POOL!"

mikeg205
03-14-2012, 11:26 AM

LOL....:uglyhamme:

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Did you mention that part number to him? You can just use it for depth and not worry about the temp lead.

As for just jumping in or using your hand, as is, you already have water temperature in your Perfect Pass. I would just keep what you have and do the in-hull transducer. It will work fine and you won't lose the temp sensor on the paddle wheel.

Plus, if you go skiing during the winter, it's nice to have some numbers to throw at people when you tell them what a bada$$ you are. It was really cold just doesn't carry the same weight. ;)

02ProstarSammyD
03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Is it bad that I didn't know my paddle wheel had a temp sensor in it? I don't think my 6.3 showed this. Then again my paddle wheel was a POS and my PP never worked.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-14-2012, 03:18 PM

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Is it bad that I didn't know my paddle wheel had a temp sensor in it? I don't think my 6.3 showed this. Then again my paddle wheel was a POS and my PP never worked.

I think you have to have 6.5 before you can get lake water temp. But the wheel itself should still have the sensor IIRC.

Jeff d
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I've been looking into buying one of these Faria depth gauges to replace my intermittently functional OEM Lowrance depth finder. I'm a bit confused though about the transducers. I fully understand the different types (i.e. In Hull, Thru Hull, and Transom mount) but based on reading old posts it looks like they used to offer an In Hull option for the transducer as part of the package. However, everywhere I look now including Faria's website seems to indicate that the only option for the "Dual Temperature Depth Sounder" is the transom mount:
http://faria-instruments.com/docs/fm-001-0030_E_DepthSounders.pdf

The only ones offered with the in hull transducer are the ones that just do depth. I understand that there would still have to be a separate sensor going through the hull and into the water for the temp.

I don't really want to spend $200+ to be able to get an additional transducer and what not along with the package. How is the transom transducer with the exception of possibly damaging it on the trailer? I'm inclined just to get the transom mount package for $110ish and put the transducer in place of my pitot pickup since I don't use that anymore. I'd hope the holes would just happen to line up or maybe just be able to drill different holes in the bracket to match up with the former pitot pickup holes.

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 04:24 PM
I've been looking into buying one of these Faria depth gauges to replace my intermittently functional OEM Lowrance depth finder. I'm a bit confused though about the transducers. I fully understand the different types (i.e. In Hull, Thru Hull, and Transom mount) but based on reading old posts it looks like they used to offer an In Hull option for the transducer as part of the package. However, everywhere I look now including Faria's website seems to indicate that the only option for the "Dual Temperature Depth Sounder" is the transom mount:
http://faria-instruments.com/docs/fm-001-0030_E_DepthSounders.pdf

The only ones offered with the in hull transducer are the ones that just do depth. I understand that there would still have to be a separate sensor going through the hull and into the water for the temp.

I don't really want to spend $200+ to be able to get an additional transducer and what not along with the package. How is the transom transducer with the exception of possibly damaging it on the trailer? I'm inclined just to get the transom mount package for $110ish and put the transducer in place of my pitot pickup since I don't use that anymore. I'd hope the holes would just happen to line up or maybe just be able to drill different holes in the bracket to match up with the former pitot pickup holes.

Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. There is a separate lake water sensor on mine that I have run out one of the old Airguide speedo holes in the transom. I have 3 sensors---Depth transducer, water temp sensor, air temp sensor.

02ProstarSammyD
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
I think you have to have 6.5 before you can get lake water temp. But the wheel itself should still have the sensor IIRC.

Thanks. Figures. Went to west marine and overtons last night. Utterly useless. All they had was the transom mounts and no faria stuff. Like uhhhh is this that der boat store I heard about. I really really hate the transom mount and really had the dumb pos previous owner of my boat. Sure I'll mount that bad boy right where the bunks line up. Typical