PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on upcoming boat purchase

acguy714
03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi guys, what an amazing forums of true MC fans. I ve been reading alot of posts and excited to buy this boat just due to the numbers of people here that help out. Im intrested in buying this boat in the next few days and wanted to hear everyones opionon. From what I understand the owner has never rebuilt the engine. It was on his property in Parker AZ where he had his own boat ramp from his house into the river, so the trailer is virtually new with great tires and a rust spot over the fender.
The interior is good for its age, lots of cracks. Upfront the seating has a large tear along the seam line on the the bow cushion where it looks like poeple might have got in and out all the time.
Going tomorrow to do a compression test on all cylinders. Motor is 351.... My main question is what are your thoughts on pricing. He has had this posting up for 30 days that I know of and just renewed the listing.
Bimini top has a tear in it where owner cut it himself to allow the airboom to extend of through hole.

Reason for buying is I am a beginner wakeboarder and then I have family and friends I ll want to take out as well.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/2899140975.html

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't know this model and have not owned a MC yet, but I've owned other inboards and am searching right now in the 10-20k range. To find a boat with 300ish hours for ~10k that is in the kind of shape appears to be a find. If this was in TX I'd be strongly considering.

One thing I do is use Craigslist Reader and search the whole country for a similar year/model to see what other asking prices/hours/conditions are. It's also a nice way to see what different model years and features look like...

acguy714
03-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey thanks, I had no idea that craiglist has that function to search the entire US... I ll try that.

Jerseydave
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Sometimes a boat with twice the hours may actually be a better buy since it doesn't just sit around.....engines need to be run on a regular basis or problems may arise. (oil leaks, carbon deposits, rust, etc.)

I don't think the resale value on that boat is very high either, plus it need some interior work. I better choice for you might be a prostar 205 (there is a nice one for sale in the marketplace here) or check out this one if seating for 6 is enough for you.

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=4241&cat=5

This boat belongs to skidog, member here and someone who takes care of his boat!

SkiDog
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Sometimes a boat with twice the hours may actually be a better buy since it doesn't just sit around.....engines need to be run on a regular basis or problems may arise. (oil leaks, carbon deposits, rust, etc.)

I don't think the resale value on that boat is very high either, plus it need some interior work. I better choice for you might be a prostar 205 (there is a nice one for sale in the marketplace here) or check out this one if seating for 6 is enough for you.

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=4241&cat=5

This boat belongs to skidog, member here and someone who takes care of his boat!

Thanks Dave, i'm gonna owe you a finders fee if we get this un sold.;)

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey thanks, I had no idea that craiglist has that function to search the entire US... I ll try that.

Craigslist doesn't, but the 3rd party readers do. I like one called Free Craigslist Reader Pro...

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I've been scouring the market for a while, I still contend that that is a nice boat for 10k. I agree that a 205 is more desirable though, that's what I'm looking for. Does this boat have wood stringers and/or floor?

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Another thing to consider when buying an older boat is what upgrades will you want an what will they cost? Tower, board racks, bimini, cover(s). Sometimes you can find a better accessorized boat for more money that will be cheaper in the long run than if you added those things to the bare bones lower priced boat.

Jerseydave
03-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I've been scouring the market for a while, I still contend that that is a nice boat for 10k. I agree that a 205 is more desirable though, that's what I'm looking for. Does this boat have wood stringers and/or floor?

No wood in the construction of Mastercraft boats since 1984. (mid-83 actually)

02ProstarSammyD
03-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I know where you can get an 01 for around 4k! Jk sorry. I think the 205 would be a great choice. I like the maristars though

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 11:34 PM
No wood in the construction of Mastercraft boats since 1984. (mid-83 actually)

Then I think this boat is a good deal. Offer him 9500 and see what happens. Boats always look better in pics, but the back looks great. Low hours also means less time beating up the interior and scratching the gel and beating up the rub rail... I really doubt you can find better at this price. Maybe, but doubtful.

acguy714
03-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks again everyone. I m just trying to justify price when other make out there cost almost half the price. This is a 21 years old.

mikeg205
03-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks again everyone. I m just trying to justify price when other make out there cost almost half the price. This is a 21 years old.

What do you mean by others... MC's last a long time... my '95 runs great...Skidogs probably does too. You'll spend much more on upgrades like a tower, sound system, ballast, and skins. I bet Skidogs trailer is 100% too.

If you're a beginning wake boarder you'll progress to wanting tower and more ballast - and tunes :) and a better board...yadda yadda yadda... :D :D :D

asmodeus2112
03-14-2012, 02:26 PM

You won't find any other inboards with open bows for 5k, no matter what brand. Old CC 2001's yes. Stars and Stripes, yes. Maybe a beat PS190. But as a family you really will need the open bow.

asmodeus2112
03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
What do you mean by others... MC's last a long time... my '95 runs great...Skidogs probably does too. You'll spend much more on upgrades like a tower, sound system, ballast, and skins. I bet Skidogs trailer is 100% too.

If you're a beginning wake boarder you'll progress to wanting tower and more ballast - and tunes :) and a better board...yadda yadda yadda... :D :D :D

Absolutely agree that you need to take future additions into account. Perhaps its too difficult to free up the budget now, but adding this stuff is not cheap, and getting a boat with most or all of the accessories is usually the best buy. I have a spreadsheet that I use to figure the total cost of the boat after I add travel, upgrades and initial repairs.

JDJ_205
03-14-2012, 05:02 PM
I would agree with the comment about hours. I bought my 95 ProStar 205 in spring 2009 with 700 hrs or so and I've put 300 on since then with no issues other than maintenance. Hopefully I didnt jinx myself but the boat just doesnt quit. We get tired before it does.

I would also agree that if you go with a ProStar the value will hold better than a Maristar but an MC is an MC. You can't go wrong. If you're main emphasis is wakeboarding, I would guess that a Maristar would give you a better wake vs a ProStar 205 (95' and older)...unless you add fat sacs, etc. Test drive the heck out of the boat, you'll get a feel for what it's all about.

Just to emphasize, you can't go wrong with an MC....yes I'm bias. Good luck in your search!

acguy714
03-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I would agree with the comment about hours. I bought my 95 ProStar 205 in spring 2009 with 700 hrs or so and I've put 300 on since then with no issues other than maintenance. Hopefully I didnt jinx myself but the boat just doesnt quit. We get tired before it does.

I would also agree that if you go with a ProStar the value will hold better than a Maristar but an MC is an MC. You can't go wrong. If you're main emphasis is wakeboarding, I would guess that a Maristar would give you a better wake vs a ProStar 205 (95' and older)...unless you add fat sacs, etc. Test drive the heck out of the boat, you'll get a feel for what it's all about.

Just to emphasize, you can't go wrong with an MC....yes I'm bias. Good luck in your search!

You guys are awesome. Thanks again... I did run the boat today. The seller was very cool I paid for all the gas and she ran great. Bought it for 9500 cash.... Hopefully it gives me years of enjoyment...

SkiDog
03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
You guys are awesome. Thanks again... I did run the boat today. The seller was very cool I paid for all the gas and she ran great. Bought it for 9500 cash.... Hopefully it gives me years of enjoyment...

Congrats on the purchase! Now post pics or we will take back everything we said!:D:D:D

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 07:24 PM

Let us know when the OCDMC kicks in... :D

Lumbergh
03-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Seems like a nice boat with low hours for the price you paid.

Congrats and enjoy!

19_Skier
03-15-2012, 08:11 PM
:woohoo:

Congrats on the MC! Pics please :D:D

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Congratulations, have fun! looking forward to some pics!

acguy714
03-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Here is some pics

agarabaghi
03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
not seeing them...

mikeg205
03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Here is some pics

If they are too large they won't post...need to be screen resolution.