PDA

View Full Version : Lexan or Plexiglass sheets

JEREMY79
08-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I need some plastic sheet of some sort. Lexan would be great.

I need two 4x8 sheets about 1/8' thick. Does anyone know where to get them?

bcampbe7
08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
I need some plastic sheet of some sort. Lexan would be great.

I need two 4x8 sheets about 1/8' thick. Does anyone know where to get them?

Sign shop should have it.
Lexan is very expensive though. Look for Polycarbonate. It is a the same stuff, just cheaper. Lexan is proprietary and therefore you pay out the ...

EDIT:
Just called a local sign shop and a 4X8 sheet of 1/8" Lexan is $170. Not as bad as I thought, but still not cheap.

ski_king
08-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Try part no.: 8574K73 at mcmaster.com, less than $100 for 4' x 8' x 1/8 in. shipping would be a killer though. They also have cheaper plasic available.

X2M
08-12-2005, 01:34 PM
You could also try a frame shop. As in picture framing. They carry it by the sheet and will cut it to size too.

Ric
08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
if you have a local plastics supplier, you're better off so you don't pay shipping
as mentioned above ask for polycarbonate sheet rather than by brand name
are you making a bulletproof room prior to marriage?

SteveO
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
In my college years, which has been a while, I worked a t a True Value hardware and they carried it. Look for an Ace or a True Value in your area?

erkoehler
08-12-2005, 03:12 PM
What are you doing?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
http://www.gepolymershapes.com/pshapes/geps/index.jsp?jsessionid=485781123874786565

I have used them, when I say they have everything plastic, lexan, plexiglass, I mean they have everything. Check it out, if this link doesn't work let me know.

JEREMY79
08-12-2005, 03:52 PM
ok here is what I am doing. You guys may have a better idea.

You cannot buy hard ballast tanks for a stars and stripes (who-dat-hunk-it) Anyway, I am designing my own. I was going to use the sheets and cut them to make my tanks like I needed them. Here is a very quick drawing on paint of what I am talking about.

The notches are to go around the stringers in the back. The gas tank will be on top of the tank. There will be a switch on the dash to fill the tank and a switch to empty it. Same as ballast on a new boat. If anyone has any ideas of stuff that would work better let me know.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-12-2005, 04:12 PM
You are thinking about making a water tank out of 1/4" plexi to hold a couple hundred pounds of water? And on top of the fuel tank? :confused:

furevo
08-12-2005, 04:23 PM
ok here is what I am doing. You guys may have a better idea.

You cannot buy hard ballast tanks for a stars and stripes (who-dat-hunk-it) Anyway, I am designing my own. I was going to use the sheets and cut them to make my tanks like I needed them. Here is a very quick drawing on paint of what I am talking about.

The notches are to go around the stringers in the back. The gas tank will be on top of the tank. There will be a switch on the dash to fill the tank and a switch to empty it. Same as ballast on a new boat. If anyone has any ideas of stuff that would work better let me know.

Instead of building something, how about another fuel tank?

furevo
08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
here's another idea:

http://www.watertanks.com/rectangulartanks/

Workin' 4 Toys
08-12-2005, 11:36 PM
I just reread your post, the fuel tank is on top of this one. I get it now. Duh! It will need some serious reinforcements, that water really slams around inside, And where will you tap the pump into?

ksmaristar91
08-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Here is a thought! I used to do 12volt audio and used to build custom sub enclosures. Under seat installs in a extended cab truck we used to ducttape the entire floor (several layers) then spray with a no stick cooking spray. Then use fiberglass resin and mat. just make a thin layer then pull and you can build it up and reinforce out of the boat. could use a thicker piece of lexan for the top. Just an idea maybe crazy. Would be willing to answer any Qs as it sounds more diff than it really is.

redmike
08-13-2005, 12:03 AM
jeremy, why not build it out of aluminium? it would be light, could baffle it to minimize slosh...etc, just my :twocents:

ksmaristar91
08-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Thats an even better idea, baffles would reduce the stress of the water weight, good idea!!

redmike
08-13-2005, 12:08 AM
thanks ks, not like it is my original thought, but thanks for the credit all the same....

WTRSK1R
08-13-2005, 08:21 AM
Another idea might be to see if Overtons or other boat parts places have a gas tank that would fit under the existing tank. At least you would have fill and drain taps already in the tank, and you would know that it will not self destruct as the water sloshes around inside.

Good Luck.

tph
08-13-2005, 12:46 PM
You are thinking about making a water tank out of 1/4" plexi to hold a couple hundred pounds of water? And on top of the fuel tank? :confused:

Actually, I think he wrote 1/8 inch! My Father inlaw used to make fish tanks out of 1/4 inch plastic. It worked very well.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Actually, I think he wrote 1/8 inch! My Father inlaw used to make fish tanks out of 1/4 inch plastic. It worked very well.
I would think if you filled a fish tank put it in a boat and drove through some rough stuff, it would fall apart. My neighbor has a tank built with 3/4". It's all what you assemble it with. And how clean the edges are.

stevo137
08-13-2005, 03:20 PM
You would need to use Plexi for this and it cannot just be glued. It is a special adhesive that "welds" the seams.
Lexan probably won't work.
Take a look at this site for info.
http://acetal-rod-sheet.com/plexiglass-acrylic-sheet.htm

JEREMY79
08-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Like I said guys, just a thought. The gas tank is a good idea I hadnt thought about that.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 04:42 PM
What's wrong with using a bag?

JEREMY79
08-13-2005, 04:54 PM
its a 79 there isnt all that much space in those boats anyway once you put a bag in it thats all of it. Room for spotter and a driver.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-13-2005, 09:58 PM
its a 79 there isnt all that much space in those boats anyway once you put a bag in it thats all of it. Room for spotter and a driver.
I meant in the place you are talking about putting the tank.

JEREMY79
08-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Just rather have a hard tank under the floor.

6ballsisall
08-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Hurry up and get something built Jeremy before Bob a Palooza. I want to see some more of your work!! :cool:

JEREMY79
08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Man I am going to do good to get in the boat before Bob-A-Palooza, Everytime I want to go, "No, We have wedding stuff,or house stuff to take care of" :(

6ballsisall
08-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Man I am going to do good to get in the boat before Bob-A-Palooza, Everytime I want to go, "No, We have wedding stuff,or house stuff to take care of" :(

Uhh.... get used to that Jeremy :rolleyes: Remember, marriage is all about compromise. It goes both ways dude (I mean in your favor too, you need water time!)

JEREMY79
08-14-2005, 09:20 AM
well in her defence I said the house would be ready to move into. Its not. I still have to finish painting, putting on baseboards, and laying some tile. Oh yeah, no furniture either. Wedding is Saturday.

6ballsisall
08-14-2005, 04:41 PM
well in her defence I said the house would be ready to move into. Its not. I still have to finish painting, putting on baseboards, and laying some tile. Oh yeah, no furniture either. Wedding is Saturday.

You build a new place?

erkoehler
08-14-2005, 05:03 PM

Boat, Wedding, house. Priorities straightened for you :rant:

bucky
08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Yeah! You don't want to be all stressed and tired for the wedding (or wedding night!). Just tear yourself away from work and get on the water. Take one for the relationship.
You're boating for her, man!:steering:

Uhh.... get used to that Jeremy :rolleyes: Remember, marriage is all about compromise. It goes both ways dude (I mean in your favor too, you need water time!)

Leroy
08-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I'd call this a winter project and focus on the wedding and what makes momma happy!

PS; Don't listen to marriage advise from single guys, especially ERK!!! :D

JEREMY79
08-15-2005, 08:05 AM
No we didnt build a place, however we would be better off. We bought an old (1800's) house and remodled it. I dont mean new paint and some floors and call it good. We completly gutted it and built back new. I will try to get some pics. BAD THING it has no garage.

I have learned who to take marriage advice from.

6ballsisall
08-15-2005, 08:46 AM
No we didnt build a place, however we would be better off. We bought an old (1800's) house and remodled it. I dont mean new paint and some floors and call it good. We completly gutted it and built back new. I will try to get some pics. BAD THING it has no garage.

I have learned who to take marriage advice from.

Thats sweet Jeremy!

I have always wanted to buy an old place and do what you did. Post some pics soon!

JEREMY79
08-15-2005, 10:03 AM
If you want to keep your sanity.....Don't. There is nothing in those houses that is right. Of course it was right to them 200 years ago. We pretty much tore the old house down and built a new one one room at a time. I mean foundation, floors, walls, celing, windows, you name it, it has to be redone.

I'll try to get some pics up

Granite_33
08-15-2005, 10:09 AM
If you want to keep your sanity.....Don't. There is nothing in those houses that is right. Of course it was right to them 200 years ago. We pretty much tore the old house down and built a new one one room at a time. I mean foundation, floors, walls, celing, windows, you name it, it has to be redone.

I'll try to get some pics up

I'll follow up with a quote from my father in law.........who has built some new homes and rehabbed some old ones.
"You can spend a lot of time and money fixing up an old house.......and when you are done........its still an old house"......

JEREMY79
08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
"You can spend a lot of time and money fixing up an old house.......and when you are done........its still an old house"......

Very true, but I have a nice house and paid less for the house(initially) than most of us paid for our boats. My entire family is carpenters so all the work was done by us. When all is done next week, I will owe 22,500 on a house that is practically brad new. 5 bedroom 2 bath. Completly debt free (only owe on house) in 12 months. Now old house or not still equals no payments.

Granite_33
08-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Jeremy, I wish I could find some of those prices around here.

Our neighbors turned a decent house into a piece of sh*t before they divorced and allowed the home to go into foreclosure. (4 dogs, 1 cat, 2 guinea pigs, 3 pet rats.....all at various times in the 4 years we knew them)

Kitchen needs to be gutted.
2 bathrooms need to be gutted
Carpet needs to be replaced
New roof needed.
Yard is a mess
Two 20 year old furnaces.
New plumbing needed.

Sherrifs auction price? $150,000

Not too many deals to be had around here, unfortunately.

bcampbe7
08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Very true, but I have a nice house and paid less for the house(initially) than most of us paid for our boats. My entire family is carpenters so all the work was done by us. When all is done next week, I will owe 22,500 on a house that is practically brad new. 5 bedroom 2 bath. Completly debt free (only owe on house) in 12 months. Now old house or not still equals no payments.

That's awesome Jeremy! I'll trade ya... :)

6ballsisall
08-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Thats a sweet situation Jeremy! You'll be in great financial position if you ever choose to sell in the future.

JEREMY79
08-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I didnt mean to come off as being cocky. I didnt want you guys to think that I was a kid with everything handed to him. I had and have to work for everything I have.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Still working on pics. I forget, I have too many irons in the fire.

BriEOD
08-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Sounds nice Jeremy and I would guess that you appreciate it more.

Granite_33
08-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Now old house or not still equals no payments.

I'd take one in a minute if I could find one......and had a family full of carpenters :D. You have definitely put yourself ahead of the game
:toast:......so cheers to a new(er) house and no payments....... :D

Leroy
08-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Super Jeremy; I knew for someone your age to have your own business you are on the ball!

JEREMY79
08-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Super Jeremy; I knew for someone your age to have your own business you are on the ball!

Leroy I said I would have no payments in year. I didnt say any thing about the shop :purplaugh

6ballsisall
08-16-2005, 11:00 AM

Seriously that's good stuff Jeremy! Most people your age are trying to figure out how to finance/mortgage everything under the sun. Kudos to you for managing you money well. :headbang:

JEREMY79
08-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Seriously that's good stuff Jeremy! Most people your age are trying to figure out how to finance/mortgage everything under the sun. Kudos to you for managing you money well. :headbang:

Thank you. Thats why I live in (almost) a 200 yr old house, drive a 10 yr old truck, ride behind a 26 yr old boat.