PDA

View Full Version : Tower Lights

DJ 50
03-13-2012, 02:34 PM
So those of you who have them, how often to you use your tower lights and for what reason? Just trying to figure out if they are worth it. I will push the half hour after sunset rule so I could see them being helpful at that point. Other then that 30 mins or so, do you get any real use out of them? Do you use the forward facing lights for navigation at night? Also I have 197 with a mini tower, any recomendations on which light to get if I get them?

ShawnB
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Use them for docking only. Any time we put them on under power they are usually pointed above the horizon and any time we put them on at idle all they do is attract bugs.

tr6coug
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Tower lights are pretty much useless except for maybe pulling into a boat slip in the dark. If you try to drive with them they just light up the bow and kill your night vision. You can see better at night with them off. I wouldn't waste the money on tower lights. You'd get more use out of a hand-held spot light.

carlsonwa
03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
I installed some Projector fog lights with 6000k HID on my tower. They have great output when loading the trailer after dark as well as look nice in the evening as well from a distance.

However in Wisconsin 2 years ago I had them on in a congested area after the fireworks and I received a warning from the local sheriff about how the only lights allowed while moving were the oem or green/red/high white.

X25 ED
03-13-2012, 03:45 PM
But it does look nice on the tower:)

X25 ED
03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
almost forgot the integrated dome light

jdl xstar
03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Tower lights are pretty much useless except for maybe pulling into a boat slip in the dark. If you try to drive with them they just light up the bow and kill your night vision. You can see better at night with them off. I wouldn't waste the money on tower lights. You'd get more use out of a hand-held spot light.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, they are technically illigal to drive with them on at night since they aren't part of the boat's standard navigation lighting.

I have used them a couple times for night docking and they do help illuminate everything but totally not necessary to have.

bjames
03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
We use the rear facing lights to lightup the stage for surf sets after dark (dusk). I only turn on the forward facing lights on when aproaching the dock and loading. This way it warns others that I am inbound.:)

BrooksfamX2
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
My thoughts exactly. Plus, they are technically illigal to drive with them on at night since they aren't part of the boat's standard navigation lighting.

I have used them a couple times for night docking and they do help illuminate everything but totally not necessary to have.

Correct in Oregon also, the only time you can use them at night is for docking and trailering (loading /unloading) on public or government waterways. Private lakes may be different.

Mine get used very little.