PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 205, 1996+

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Hi, I'm a former Malibu owner stalking my next boat. I've never owned a Mastercraft before, but and seriously looking at some PS205's. I'm hoping ya'll might indulge me in a bit of what you think makes Mastercraft a better make and any insight into PS205's. I've read the PS205 history, and just about to start looking at boats. TIA

mccobmd
03-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Depends on what you're wanting, 205 is a direct drive and 205V is v drive. DD skis better, Vdrive better for wakesports and surfing. I have a 2006 X1 which is the same hull but a v drive. 2003 and earlier x star is that hull in a v drive, I believe the 2005 and before x2 was the same hull. It is a great all around boat. People say it is too small but we put 8 on ours and do great.

jamisonsbrodie
03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Welcome,

I am a former Malibu owner and I can tell you how the 96+ 205 compares to my 2000 Sunsetter LXI. I'll have to whisper here (I think both companies make great boats). The 205 has a much better wakeboarding and surf wake, the SSLXI has a much better slalom wake, nearly matching the Response. The 92-95 205 has a wake on par with the Response and SSLXI, but like both of those, not as good at wakeboard and surf. Engine wise, they are the same both Indmar, with HP ranging from 275-325 depending on whether it has the Corvette or not. As far a crossover boat goes, the 205 is great, and the 96+ hull is still in production today as the X-1. What are you coming from and what are you looking to do?

JRW160
03-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Depends on what you're wanting, 205 is a direct drive and 205V is v drive. DD skis better, Vdrive better for wakesports and surfing. I have a 2006 X1 which is the same hull but a v drive. 2003 and earlier x star is that hull in a v drive, I believe the 2005 and before x2 was the same hull. It is a great all around boat. People say it is too small but we put 8 on ours and do great.
2002 and earlier xstar. 2003 was the first year of the pickle for xstar.

JDJ_205
03-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I own a 95 PS 205 and have no complaints! Great for skiing, not bad for wakeboarding, but we're mainly a ski family first. I would agree with Jamisonsbrodie's comments. There is a big difference from 92-95 and 96-present.

Good luck in your search! I can't imagine you'll be disappointed with an MC.

pmkkdx
03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
"what you think makes Mastercraft a better make and any insight into PS205's"

mccobmd defined good info on the 205 DD vs V models, after competing for a number of years personnaly and realizing the wear & tear that happens to a daily driver tow boat, I quickly appreciated the superior quality and craftsmanship of the MCs at our private lake ... not to mention the awesome wake compared to the various other brands we rotated thru. When I bought my '83, the other skiers on my time slot always wanted to practice behind my boat and them provide gas money (boat & truck towing), ropes, handles, etc. just to get work with the flat wake at speed compared to their boats (Supra, Nautique, Centurian, etc.). I agreed to 3 days a week and the other 4 were to bring their boats the other days, so my boat was getting 3 times the wear & tear plus hours over theirs. after 2 years, their boats started having issues and really showing the wear on the interior where mine still looked very nice (and it was getting 3 times the work out). Another guy brought an '87 MC (redesigned), so he and I did 2 days each and the other guys took one day each... over several more years, the others started trading boats due to the excessive wear and starting signs of maintenance issues. So, quality, craftsmanship and pride in a product is what sold me and I would be very hard pressed to look at another brand without some deep soul searching and proof of the quality would come close to what I am accustomed to.

After I had my fun with competition (mid 80s into mid/late 90s ... and a number of bad get-offs/injuries) the 20+ year old S&S was still purring like a kitten without issues other than a few seams splitting ... but we really needed more room and the kids (now young adults) were more into boarding & surfing but my wife still loves to slalom, so finding a boat that fit the family's needs/wants was my problem. I lurked for advise here (TT) for quite some time, mainly reading other MC owners thoughts and opinions to find the optimal boat for the family within our price range with all the other hobbies we have. We even went to the local MC dealer to seek their advise and did a lake test with a new '08 X1 (205V same hull as '02-'05 X2 & '99-'02 XStar) and fell in love with it (although quite the tug (big) coming off the '83 S&S) but couldn't justify the cost of a new boat of that caliber (with all our other hobbies), so I started searching for a clean low hour used 205V (XStar/X2/X1) within our budget ... settled on an '04 X2 with ~160 hrs, which was in the spring of '09 and have thoroughly enjoyed her without much expense (new amp, added second battery & pergo switch, along with normal maintenance), have thought about replacing the skins on the rear deck as they are showing some pulling of threads at the seams. We normally have 6-8 people plus our boat dog, with occasionally up to 10 (which gets a bit crowded, but doable). My son (27) boards & surfs, my daughter (25) boards & skis, my wife skis and others have done various combinations including tubing. The 205V does all things pretty good, maybe not the best, but very versatile all around boat (no, I would not want to try to run a '35 off thru a course :cool:) for a group of 6-10 people. It fits our family extremely well for our needs / wants.

hope that helps!

east tx skier
03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Welcome. I'll leave the comparisons to the others. Our family has owned both generations of 205s and have found them to be some of the best open bow ski boats out there. The 96+ 205 has original X star hull and is, from what I have seen, quite good for boarding as well.

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome,

I am a former Malibu owner and I can tell you how the 96+ 205 compares to my 2000 Sunsetter LXI. I'll have to whisper here (I think both companies make great boats). The 205 has a much better wakeboarding and surf wake, the SSLXI has a much better slalom wake, nearly matching the Response. The 92-95 205 has a wake on par with the Response and SSLXI, but like both of those, not as good at wakeboard and surf. Engine wise, they are the same both Indmar, with HP ranging from 275-325 depending on whether it has the Corvette or not. As far a crossover boat goes, the 205 is great, and the 96+ hull is still in production today as the X-1. What are you coming from and what are you looking to do?

Thanks, I sold our 2001 SSLX last year. That was a mistake, I really liked that boat and can't find one within 5K of what I paid. :cry: So, I started looking for SSLXi, VLX, Sport/Air Nautique and PS205, PS205V as well. My budget is 10-20k, but would like to be lower than higher. I really liked my SSLX, the Monsoon 320 was sweet and the space was great. We are a young family of 4 that will take another family of 5 with us occasionally. Mainly teaching kids to kneeboard and wakeboard, with occasional beginner/intermediate wakeboarding plus the ocassional open water slalom. I think the PS205 is the right boat, but I just don't know MC. As one of the major brands and loyal following MC's must be good, eh? I'm finding some nice PS205's with reasonable hours in nice shape so would like some information on the boats to I'm not completely ignorant and naive when I go shopping. I appreciate that you have/had an SSLXi, because I know the Sunsetters well, so any observations of the differences between a Sunsetter and PS205 are exactly what I'm looking for.

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 05:46 PM
"what you think makes Mastercraft a better make and any insight into PS205's"

mccobmd defined good info on the 205 DD vs V models, after competing for a number of years personnaly and realizing the wear & tear that happens to a daily driver tow boat, I quickly appreciated the superior quality and craftsmanship of the MCs at our private lake ... not to mention the awesome wake compared to the various other brands we rotated thru. When I bought my '83, the other skiers on my time slot always wanted to practice behind my boat and them provide gas money (boat & truck towing), ropes, handles, etc. just to get work with the flat wake at speed compared to their boats (Supra, Nautique, Centurian, etc.). I agreed to 3 days a week and the other 4 were to bring their boats the other days, so my boat was getting 3 times the wear & tear plus hours over theirs. after 2 years, their boats started having issues and really showing the wear on the interior where mine still looked very nice (and it was getting 3 times the work out). Another guy brought an '87 MC (redesigned), so he and I did 2 days each and the other guys took one day each... over several more years, the others started trading boats due to the excessive wear and starting signs of maintenance issues. So, quality, craftsmanship and pride in a product is what sold me and I would be very hard pressed to look at another brand without some deep soul searching and proof of the quality would come close to what I am accustomed to.

After I had my fun with competition (mid 80s into mid/late 90s ... and a number of bad get-offs/injuries) the 20+ year old S&S was still purring like a kitten without issues other than a few seams splitting ... but we really needed more room and the kids (now young adults) were more into boarding & surfing but my wife still loves to slalom, so finding a boat that fit the family's needs/wants was my problem. I lurked for advise here (TT) for quite some time, mainly reading other MC owners thoughts and opinions to find the optimal boat for the family within our price range with all the other hobbies we have. We even went to the local MC dealer to seek their advise and did a lake test with a new '08 X1 (205V same hull as '02-'05 X2 & '99-'02 XStar) and fell in love with it (although quite the tug (big) coming off the '83 S&S) but couldn't justify the cost of a new boat of that caliber (with all our other hobbies), so I started searching for a clean low hour used 205V (XStar/X2/X1) within our budget ... settled on an '04 X2 with ~160 hrs, which was in the spring of '09 and have thoroughly enjoyed her without much expense (new amp, added second battery & pergo switch, along with normal maintenance), have thought about replacing the skins on the rear deck as they are showing some pulling of threads at the seams. We normally have 6-8 people plus our boat dog, with occasionally up to 10 (which gets a bit crowded, but doable). My son (27) boards & surfs, my daughter (25) boards & skis, my wife skis and others have done various combinations including tubing. The 205V does all things pretty good, maybe not the best, but very versatile all around boat (no, I would not want to try to run a '35 off thru a course :cool:) for a group of 6-10 people. It fits our family extremely well for our needs / wants.

hope that helps!

Thank you!

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Welcome. I'll leave the comparisons to the others. Our family has owned both generations of 205s and have found them to be some of the best open bow ski boats out there. The 96+ 205 has original X star hull and is, from what I have seen, quite good for boarding as well.

Thank you!

rand49er
03-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Sold my '89 Malibu Euro f3 a few years back and bought a '97 Sammy Duval Prostar 205 last March with 202 hours on it. Not sure if it's the eight additional years of advancement or not, but the Prostar is a very nice boat.

Not much help, maybe, but you won't go wrong.

_fng_
03-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Where in central Texas are you? I'm in new Braunfels and own a '97 prostar and with two 750 sacks and a few people up front the wake is nice.

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Where in central Texas are you? I'm in new Braunfels and own a '97 prostar and with two 750 sacks and a few people up front the wake is nice.

I'm in Austin. Do you boat on Lake McQueeney?

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm in Austin. Do you boat on Lake McQueeney?

We get out of here for a month and tow the boat up to SE WI, are you a Sconnie?

asmodeus2112
03-13-2012, 10:53 PM
There's a '95 close by at a nice price. Is the difference between '95 and '96 worth 5K?

mah2496
03-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Hi, I'm a former Malibu owner stalking my next boat. I've never owned a Mastercraft before, but and seriously looking at some PS205's. I'm hoping ya'll might indulge me in a bit of what you think makes Mastercraft a better make and any insight into PS205's. I've read the PS205 history, and just about to start looking at boats. TIA

I have a clean 96 PS205 in Belton that I would sell for the right offer. Sent you a PM.

Barefooter92
03-14-2012, 07:41 AM
own a '97 PS 205 and load it down with 4 adults and 4 kids and still foot, thats important to me. 'Bu is the only boat I have never skied so I can not compare.

Our PS 205 does everything we ask all day long...

_fng_
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
We get out of here for a month and tow the boat up to SE WI, are you a Sconnie?

I go out on Lake Dunlap when the water level is decent (they just raised it this past weekend but are planning on draining it again in a week :rolleyes:). If you want to go out anytime let me know.
Born, raised, and educated as a Sconnie!! I just couldn't handle the weather.

jamisonsbrodie
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks, I sold our 2001 SSLX last year.

The differences between the SSLX and 1996+ 205 are minimal. The wakes are going to be very close for both skiing and boarding with a slight boarding nod to the 205, and a slight skiing nod to the LX. The LXI has a dramatically better slalom wake, but is marginal for boarding and surfing which is part of the reason I sold it. A nice feature of the 96+ 205 vs the previous hull is that the back seat can turn into a sundeck. The 96+ 205 has much more of a V-hull which improved the rough water ride dramatically and really creates a nice wakeboard and surf wake when weighted. This change obviously came at the expense of the slalom wake, but it is still a good compromise. The 22 bump is pretty stiff, but at 28+ its a lot better. I could be wrong here, but I think the 96+ observers seat has a little more width to it as well, which was an issue with the 92-95 hull IMO. I think that the 96+ 205 is the closest comparision to the SSLX out there, if that is what you are looking for, this is the boat for you. Sub 20k will be really hard to find a v-drive, but not impossible if you want more room and better wakeboarding and surfing. The SSVLX came out in 99 I believe and the 205v/x-star in 98 or 99. Both of which you should be able to find at 20k or under.

There's a '95 close by at a nice price. Is the difference between '95 and '96 worth 5K?
THis totally depends on what you want the boat to do, along with the actual shape and options of the boats in consideration. All things being equal, I would say no, but if the 96 has lower hours, better shape and tower, than yes.

asmodeus2112
03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
The differences between the SSLX and 1996+ 205 are minimal. The wakes are going to be very close for both skiing and boarding with a slight boarding nod to the 205, and a slight skiing nod to the LX. The LXI has a dramatically better slalom wake, but is marginal for boarding and surfing which is part of the reason I sold it. A nice feature of the 96+ 205 vs the previous hull is that the back seat can turn into a sundeck. The 96+ 205 has much more of a V-hull which improved the rough water ride dramatically and really creates a nice wakeboard and surf wake when weighted. This change obviously came at the expense of the slalom wake, but it is still a good compromise. The 22 bump is pretty stiff, but at 28+ its a lot better. I could be wrong here, but I think the 96+ observers seat has a little more width to it as well, which was an issue with the 92-95 hull IMO. I think that the 96+ 205 is the closest comparision to the SSLX out there, if that is what you are looking for, this is the boat for you. Sub 20k will be really hard to find a v-drive, but not impossible if you want more room and better wakeboarding and surfing. The SSVLX came out in 99 I believe and the 205v/x-star in 98 or 99. Both of which you should be able to find at 20k or under.

THis totally depends on what you want the boat to do, along with the actual shape and options of the boats in consideration. All things being equal, I would say no, but if the 96 has lower hours, better shape and tower, than yes.

Thanks, I think I'm going to try to find a 96+. We lean more twords wake-boarding, and I presume the kids will find that more interesting as they become teens.

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Can someone please tell me what the USCG person capacity of the 92-95 PS205 and the 96+ is? reading rules of boating in WI it explicitly states that if you have more people than the plate you are overcapacity, regardless of if 5 of them are 50lb kids...

Rukowh
03-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Max seating capacity label in my 99' 205v says 12 persons. Now that would be a boat load.

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 11:17 AM
my 1995 PS 205 is 10 persons - same rule in Il

asmodeus2112
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
You guys are awesome, thanks!

Barefooter92
03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
my '97 PS 205 DD is 10

asmodeus2112
03-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Went and looked at a 95 205. I'm 6'3" and had a hard time sitting at the helm. I'll need to go look at 96+ 205's. I know they are bigger, but much, or just a little?

Cguse13
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
i had an 94 malibu sunsetter - sold it bought a 96 205 ps and its twice the boat. I liked my malibu, but love my MC. Its the little things in quality that make the differance to me. things as simple as location of bolts, the ideas added to the rear end. The fiberglass finishing work is far superior in my opinion. This migh also seem nominal but the dash is better in my malibu it would shake move etc, i tried strapping and bolting it and it still never road right. The MC dash is solid. I did feel my window frame in the malibu was sturdier though. Howver i think some of that is design. As the malibu had the square tank style windows.

asmodeus2112
03-28-2012, 01:30 PM
i had an 94 malibu sunsetter - sold it bought a 96 205 ps and its twice the boat. I liked my malibu, but love my MC. Its the little things in quality that make the differance to me. things as simple as location of bolts, the ideas added to the rear end. The fiberglass finishing work is far superior in my opinion. This migh also seem nominal but the dash is better in my malibu it would shake move etc, i tried strapping and bolting it and it still never road right. The MC dash is solid. I did feel my window frame in the malibu was sturdier though. Howver i think some of that is design. As the malibu had the square tank style windows.

Yeah, but to be fair you probably should compare a 95 or newer Sunsetter. Completely different boat than the 94, which was the last year of the old square window Malibus.

Cguse13
03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
you are probably right - it was also my first direct drive boat and to behonest for the price and year it was a great boat to me. However, just a little jump in price to my prostar its 10 times the boat.

mah2496
03-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Went and looked at a 95 205. I'm 6'3" and had a hard time sitting at the helm. I'll need to go look at 96+ 205's. I know they are bigger, but much, or just a little?

My 96 PS205 is still available if you're interested in seeing it.