PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Land Cruisers?????

jeffbare
03-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I just got a 1991 Land Cruiser, that needs a little work, some cosmetic, and some mechanical. I know they have a reputation as a bullet proof vehicle, and seems pretty simple to todays standards to work on. Does anyone have a good source of parts? This is the first place I have started my search.

Thanks,
Jeff

Lars
03-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Congrats on your purchase! I have a 100 I use for odds and ends, mainly home depot runs... :rolleyes:

iH8MUD.com will be your best bet, if you need new parts there's a guy on the forum who sells parts from the toyota dealership at a decent price. crusierparts.net is also a good one for used parts.

gts-20
03-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I am in wholesale parts sales for a Toyota dealer here in Houston. Let me know if you need something. I might be able to get you a better price.

Duane D
03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I love those trucks! If I could find one that didnt already have 500.000 miles on it for a decent price I would have one as an extra toy too! Hope you have lots of fun with it.

Sullivan
03-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Lets see a picture Jeff. I love Landcruisers.

www.sor.com
www.coolcruisers.com
www.landcruiserparts.com

gts-20
03-14-2012, 12:38 PM
I just got a 1991 Land Cruiser, that needs a little work, some cosmetic, and some mechanical. I know they have a reputation as a bullet proof vehicle, and seems pretty simple to todays standards to work on. Does anyone have a good source of parts? This is the first place I have started my search.

Thanks,
Jeff

email sent.

CruisinGA
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
The 91-92 80 series cruisers are significantly different than the 93-97 even though they look very similar. They can be easier to work on in some regards and do not have some of the achilles heels of the 93-97 but are much less powerful, brakes aren't as good and no ABS. This may not matter to you. The 3FE 4.0 L inline 6 will last for a looooooong time as long as you and the previous owner change the oil. There are thousands and thousands of this engine in carbureted form running around Africa, South America etc etc.

Before MC's, LC's were my #1 hobby. I have had a 40, 80 and 100 series and worked on the rest.

Get on ih8mud. At one point I was the #2 poster there ;) Great site, lots of information and helpful folks. Similar to here in that regard.

Buy OEM Toyota parts if at all possible, there is a significant difference.
I get all my parts, and have for years from Dan Busey or Onur Akur at American Toyota in Albuqerque New Mexico - 1-800-432-6668. 25% off. Ask for Onur and tell him Bailey sent you (or just mention ih8mud for the discount) GTS-20 may be able to do the same.

jafo9
03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
lots of great info in ih8mud.com. i've made several purchases from dan at american toyota listed above. the great part is you say, "dan, i need to perform the maintenance on the front axle of my 97 LC and redo the brakes with fj100 pads." then he faxes a price quote with all the parts you need. this makes it super easy with projects as you don't have to worry about not getting the right parts. you just open the box and get to work.

97 Collectors Edition Locked

helton333
03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
I own a 97 and wouldn't take twice what it NADA's for. If you find someone that can service it reasonably (where I live, that is not the dealer), then you are good to go - Mine has 225K miles and drips some oil, but other than that, is just a great vehicle. Pulls my 2003 X2 easily. If you can find a clean one with around 120K miles, buy it, keep it and just enjoy it.

jeffbare
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
I will try to get some pictures. It has 282k miles on it, but was short blocked at 275k. These are the problems I would like to fix over time.
- Heater fan only works on HI
- Fuel door release doesn't work
- Steering seems a little loose
- Pulls a little to the left when breaking
- Cold starting
- Several other things I have corresponded with gts-20 about.

Still a fun driver.

Thanks,
Jeff

harrydunn
03-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Cdan and gotmud are both great to work with on ih8mud. I prefer gotmud as you can contact via e-mail as well as phone whereas Cdan is strictly phone calls. Hard to get ahold of him sometimes at the dealership. Go OEM on everything and you won't be sorry.

--Mark

Lars
03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
heater fan on hi should be easy, there's usually a resistor that gets you the other speeds that needs to be replaced. should be 5-10 bucks.

CruisinGA
03-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Fuel door release cable gets sticky over time or pinched in the quarter panel
It would be a good idea to replace all your tie rod ends, they're 11 years old.
Also, the solid front axle is supposed to be serviced every 60k but very few were. The knuckle bearings, seals and grease in the birfield ( CV) joint should all be replaced. I usually repack the wheel bearings but sometimes they need replacement as well. For front axle service I usually use an aftermarket kit. The parts from Toyota are much more expensive and only marginally better.

A front axle service and new tie rid ends will likely take care of your steering and pulling when braking issues. When you do your front brakes, know that you can use 100 series (98+) pads, they are larger and slightly improve braking.

The 3FE has a cold start injector. It may be dirty/ clogged or not functioning properly.

I will try to get some pictures. It has 282k miles on it, but was short blocked at 275k. These are the problems I would like to fix over time.
- Heater fan only works on HI
- Fuel door release doesn't work
- Steering seems a little loose
- Pulls a little to the left when breaking
- Cold starting
- Several other things I have corresponded with gts-20 about.

Still a fun driver.

Thanks,
Jeff