PDA

View Full Version : New to me teak and interior issues?

baszkopiec
03-13-2012, 01:27 AM
I bought a 91 mari star 210 last year and the swim deck is in my opinion darn near destroyed but it came off in one piece so maybe it can be saved. First off it looks as if the previous owner stained and polyuretaned it so how do I go about removing it? It is so wore down in a couple spots that I can see screws poppin through. Also is it to old to find rear seat skins or do I need to just take them to the locals? I really like the boat but unfortunatley I couldn't afford a squeaky clean one so I'll just fix this one up I've wanted a inboard since I was a kid just took me a few years to save up for it. Well thanks for any help I can get. I'll try to get some pics of the swim deck up if I can.

Tomi
03-13-2012, 02:56 AM
I was looking at my teak platform last summer and it was easy fix. I had to take apart some sections and re-attach, sand and oil treat it. However, I also noticed while doing it that it would be really simple to use the old pieces to cut completely new from teak board and build one from scratch using the old as template. That's what I would do.

Honkity Hank
03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Polyurethane is not really suited for teak. Teak has a lot of natural resin that prevents a coating like polyurethane for sticking for long. You can strip with aircraft stripper or other chemical stripper or sand off. Real pain in the *** though as there are a lot of inaccessible places.

sp00ky
03-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I was looking at my teak platform last summer and it was easy fix. I had to take apart some sections and re-attach, sand and oil treat it. However, I also noticed while doing it that it would be really simple to use the old pieces to cut completely new from teak board and build one from scratch using the old as template. That's what I would do.

Yes a friend of mine did just that and it was amazing how inexpensive and relatively easy it was

Calincanada
03-18-2012, 05:28 PM
It would probably be quicker and less labour intensive to build a new one. Granted you can measure and cut properly. You will also have a better end product. Or post a WTB ad for a used one in great shape.

boater8987
03-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Here is the company who made the teak platforms for Mastercraft. I purchased repair pieces for my 91 prostar from them. Could of bought whole new platform from them for $400. I paid around $150 for rear edge section and had a cabinet shop cut and fit to size. They have solid or holed platforms. They still have original templates to cut teak from.

http://teakworldenterprises.samsbiz.com/

psychobilly
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
No pics???? :-)

BrianT
03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
I had my slotted platform redone solid. I have a cabinet maker friend with a C&C machine hat cut the new teak pieces to the same curve as the factory curve. Routered out some new grab handles as well. Gives it a more modern look with the solid surface.

Barefooter92
03-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I dream of the day I can C&C the "MasterCraft" logo in the teak! ...anyone?