PDA

View Full Version : Another oil pressure / engine alarm thread...

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey all,

Ran the boat in the driveway for about 30mins. All gauges normal. Ran the boat on the water for ~30mins. All gauges normal. I drop, wife pulls boat off plane, I hear alarm and she shuts it down. I check and oil level is fine and no leaks. Start it back up, no light, no alarm, but oil pressure gauge reads "0", so we shut it down and get towed in.

Tonight I pulled off my oil sender unit and I noticed the hole in the end of the tube is blocked so much that it made we question whether it was a hole. Once I pushed the blockage in, I could get oil to come out of the sender. I assume the blockage was already there and I didn't cause during the removal, so here's the question...

It makes sense to me that if the sender was blocked my gauge would read ~0, but is the sender also tied to the alarm/light?

I'm going to put in a new sender and attach a mechanical gauge to confirm oil pressure.

Now where did that blockage come from?

EDIT: '04 350 Predator, TBI.

mikeg205
03-12-2012, 10:48 PM
sludge build up?...how many many hours on sending unit? Pour some seafoam in the crank case and run before oil change...good flush...do it in my '95 TBI and and all my vehicles...'01 benz 143,000 - seafoam cleaned up most likely PCV issue and oil usage problem going away.

Oil sending unit cheap maintenance action. 2012 for me will usher in all sensor replacement... should cost me about $200 for all -

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
About 330hrs on the sending unit. I'll do the Seafoam next oil change.

I still need to understand if the sender would cause the alarm / light?

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I hooked up the manual gauge, ran the boat for 30-40mins, and confirmed good oil pressure, so I'm leaning towards a bad / clogged oil pressure sender unit...as others have experienced.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes an oil sender that registers no psi will set your alarm.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Yes an oil sender that registers no psi will set your alarm.

Thank you!

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-28-2012, 08:36 AM
I changed the oil sender unit and everything was back to normal... until yesterday. When the bow is riding high (think slow start, plowing thru boat wake, wake surfing, etc...) the oil pressure would drop out on the gauge (mostly just a couple seconds) and the alarm would sound. On a faster start the gauge might bobble slightly but return back to normal. No problems when boats was "level".

Oil level was in the middle of operating temp range on the stick, but I added another half quart to see if bringing the oil level up would help. Same result.

I'm going to change the oil and filter to inspect.

I have an EDGE Insights CTS OBDII monitor on the truck. Could I throw it on the boat?

Any thoughts?

CantRepeat
05-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I changed the oil sender unit and everything was back to normal... until yesterday. When the bow is riding high (think slow start, plowing thru boat wake, wake surfing, etc...) the oil pressure would drop out on the gauge (mostly just a couple seconds) and the alarm would sound. On a faster start the gauge might bobble slightly but return back to normal. No problems when boats was "level".

Oil level was in the middle of operating temp range on the stick, but I added another half quart to see if bringing the oil level up would help. Same result.

I'm going to change the oil and filter to inspect.

I have an EDGE Insights CTS OBDII monitor on the truck. Could I throw it on the boat?

Any thoughts?

They are not the same as marine connectors.

P-hat_in_Cincy
05-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Ran today with manual gauge and sensor grounded to the block. Pressure never below 35psi. It was normally about 45psi at idle and 60psi at operating RPM.

The new sender has probably ~3hrs on it and is failed? Is the sender skidim sells different from the MC sender?

Puzzled...

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-08-2012, 08:57 AM
SkiDim says the sender is the same that MC would put on. Seems popular thought is that some "noise" is being picked up from somewhere, so it's scheduled to go into the shop next week.

In the meantime, I put a T on the sender port so I could run the oil sender AND the manual gauge at the same time. Hopefully, I'll be able to determine that the oil sender is giving a false reading by confirming on the manual gauge.