PDA

View Full Version : 88 Prostar 190 "Mini-Makeover"

learjet2230
03-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Well here goes....
After a long contemplation about "replacing" our boat, we decided to "sink" a little $ into this old beast rather than have a boat payment. It sure is nice not to have to make monthly payments. Anyway, this boat has been in our family since about 2000. I purchased it from my brother in 2007....who had/has good intentions but is not the best wrench. Slowly but surely I have been "purging" those "good intentions" if you know what I mean. We have been running the heck outta the boat since 2007, and pulling reg scheduled and preventative MX. Its got an Indmar 351W with Powerslot running a std NiBral 14x18 sitting right at 1000hrs. No damage...normal dings. This thread is not intended to produce a fully restored cherry 25 year old boat, but rather to refresh her a little and maybe help some peeps sow the seed and get the fever. The interior I think was original, and actually not too bad of shape for its age. The carpet seemed original but not sure. Also I'm on somewhat of a budget so dont suggest any prochargers, as much as I would like one. I'll post as many pics as I can and try to be diligent in updating any interested in following. Here is a list of some of the things that will be done, but not all inclusive:

1. New interior
2. All new wood for interior
3. New 20 oz carpet
4. Powdercoat windshield frame, intake vents, vent on cover, blower vent, side rails, pylon, and platform brackets
5. Tint windshield and all new gaskets
6. Acid wash
7. Complete buff and wax, including dash
8. A proper bilge pump install (one of those "good intentions")
9. Rebuild alternator (bearing going out)
10. Fix Trans leak
11. New pitot pickups and tubing
12. New stereo (maybe just speakers)
13. New Vesconite strut bearings
14. Refinish the teak deck
15. New intake/blower hose
16. New impeller
17. Fix a bunch of wiring
18. Possible new fuel sender
19. New tank to pump hose

Holy crap....I better get busy! Im sure this list will shrink and grow....cheers!

Cloaked
03-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Well here goes....
After a long contemplation about "replacing" our boat, we decided to "sink" a little $ into this old beast rather than have a boat payment. It sure is nice not to have to make monthly payments. Anyway, this boat has been in our family since about 2000. I purchased it from my brother in 2007....who had/has good intentions but is not the best wrench. Slowly but surely I have been "purging" those "good intentions" if you know what I mean. We have been running the heck outta the boat since 2007, and pulling reg scheduled and preventative MX. Its got an Indmar 351W with Powerslot running a std NiBral 14x18 sitting right at 1000hrs. No damage...normal dings. This thread is not intended to produce a fully restored cherry 25 year old boat, but rather to refresh her a little and maybe help some peeps sow the seed and get the fever. The interior I think was original, and actually not too bad of shape for its age. The carpet seemed original but not sure. Also I'm on somewhat of a budget so dont suggest any prochargers, as much as I would like one. I'll post as many pics as I can and try to be diligent in updating any interested in following. Here is a list of some of the things that will be done, but not all inclusive:

1. New interior
2. All new wood for interior
3. New 20 oz carpet
4. Powdercoat windshield frame, intake vents, vent on cover, blower vent, side rails, pylon, and platform brackets
5. Tint windshield and all new gaskets
6. Acid wash
7. Complete buff and wax, including dash
8. A proper bilge pump install (one of those "good intentions")
9. Rebuild alternator (bearing going out)
10. Fix Trans leak
11. New pitot pickups and tubing
12. New stereo (maybe just speakers)
13. New Vesconite strut bearings
14. Refinish the teak deck
15. New intake/blower hose
16. New impeller
17. Fix a bunch of wiring
18. Possible new fuel sender
19. New tank to pump hose

Holy crap....I better get busy! Im sure this list will shrink and grow....cheers!That 351W is just now getting broke in. One thing I typically do to a refresh is replace the exhaust hoses from the riser all the way back. They may appear good but they deterioriate on the inside and eventually collapse. Click on the link in my sig line for what I have found....

And one last opinion from my perspective... leave the tint off the windows. From my preference, that takes away any resell appeal if I am looking. No big deal but it really gains you nothing other than personal preference to the owner. What really gets rid of glare is a black dash and deck area inside the windshield area.

If your budget allows, a new wiring harness from the dash all the way out is a good thing. It's pre-marked, easy to install, and makes for less hassles in time and troubleshooting, and allows you to wrap everything in loom. Relatively inexpensive from www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com).

As for the teak? :D I pressure wash mine once a year. I do not like oil coming from the platform onto my carpet...

Take the old carpet out in one piece as much as possible (relative to the sectional replacement). Makes for a great cutting template saving a lot of headache.

learjet2230
03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
here are some pics

Cloaked
03-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Skins and carpet and a compound buff will make that thing look new... I was over at Don Bennett's boat service last weekend and he was reglassing an 83 and putting back in new interior. Made it look nice. Your machine will be like new... Did I mention a new Holley 4160?

Been down on your lake when I was at the nuclear station near you.

learjet2230
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
That 351W is just now getting broke in. One thing I typically do to a refresh is replace the exhaust hoses from the riser all the way back. They may appear good but they deterioriate on the inside and eventually collapse. Click on the link in my sig line for what I have found....

And one last opinion from my perspective... leave the tint off the windows. From my preference, that takes away any resell appeal if I am looking. No big deal but it really gains you nothing other than personal preference to the owner. What really gets rid of glare is a black dash and deck area inside the windshield area.

If your budget allows, a new wiring harness from the dash all the way out is a good thing. It's pre-marked, easy to install, and makes for less hassles in time and troubleshooting, and allows you to wrap everything in loom. Relatively inexpensive from www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com).

As for the teak? :D I pressure wash mine once a year. I do not like oil coming from the platform onto my carpet...

Take the old carpet out in one piece as much as posible (relative to the sectional replacement). Makes for a great cutting template saving a lot of headache.

Manifolds and risers were replaced 3 years ago, and new hoses last year. I elected to remove the mufflers and am running 4" chrome tips. I did see your hose and I bet that just drove you crazy trying to diagnose.

I'm kinda up in the air about the tint. I know its a PITA to apply...and if not done right it will look like caca

Wiring harness? Who? where? how much? Being an aircraft mechanic I have some pretty sweet connectors called enviromental splices that have a special butt splice and then a sealed heat shrink sleeve that goes over that. Crimpers are $800 new and each splice is about $5...anyway im interested in the harness but it need to be pretty model specific for me to bite. Shoot me some info. One thing is I have a non-standard ignition...running MSD so last thing I want to do is hack into a nice new harness...but still interested.

I got the carpet out in three pieces. I think it was put in with 2...seamed down the bow. It might have been one with a "slit" in the center. Did the best I could but it was old...damn stuff is almost like dust!
Cheers

DemolitionMan
03-12-2012, 10:52 PM
That boat will look great refurbished.

learjet2230
03-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Skins and carpet and a compound buff will make that thing look new... I was over at Don Bennett's boat service last weekend and he was reglassing an 83 and putting back in new interior. Made it look nice. Your machine will be like new... Did I mention a new Holley 4160?

Been down on your lake when I was at the nuclear station near you.

She's got the new 4160 on her now

Good ol' Commanche Peak huh...those bastards damn near drained us last summer. We were 8' low...I had my garden tractor on the lake bed cutting out stumps in our cover for 2 mos. We are completely full now...

Cloaked
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM

Been down on your lake when I was at the nuclear station near you.Here's a harness kit. I have seen an entire kit from end to end somewhere recently. I'll run across it sometime soon and post the link.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R121014

learjet2230
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I got all the interior out this weekend along with the carpet. I even managed to pull that bastard center floorboard up. And no I didnt use a hammer. The bilge was NASTY due to an oil leak in the trans and all the mud dobbers building nests from sitting in the lift with no water. More pics

Cloaked
03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Looks like it's ready for sanding the old glue out.. :D :D

Been there too. I used two belt sanders on my last 85 restore...

Are you going to have to lift the deck from the hull to get under the seat base? It looks like it is part of the deck.

Lumbergh
03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Are there mufflers on the boat?

Is that the primary battery or second battery?

Great project, progress pics will be great.

I would post a list of what I have done this winter, but it is rather long and pains me to see the money totaled up! That is a spreadsheet I don't show the boss.

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 12:03 AM
hell no im not lifting that deck...it is part of the upper deck though. Although if there is no option...i will

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Are there mufflers on the boat?

Is that the primary battery or second battery?

Great project, progress pics will be great.

I would post a list of what I have done this winter, but it is rather long and pains me to see the money totaled up! That is a spreadsheet I don't show the boss.

No mufflers...and thats the only battery

Cloaked
03-13-2012, 12:08 AM
hell no im not lifting that deck...it is part of the upper deck though. Although if there is no option...i willI hear you and I have a 93 that has part of the (extended) deck sitting on the carpet. Best I can see is to lift the deck at least a few inches to work under the base. I'd say that I'll have to remove all of the rivets under the rub rail and lift. I am also interested to see if a 95 - 97 model dash compartment is interchangable with the 93, while I have it up. I would prefer to not to have to remove the windshield.

The earlier models 86 and back are seperate and lift right out.

mikeg205
03-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I hear you and I have a 93 that has part of the (extended) deck sitting on the carpet. Best I can see is to lift the deck at least a few inches to work under the base. I'd say that I'll have to remove all of the rivets under the rub rail and lift. I am also interested to see if a 95 - 97 model dash compartment is interchangable with the 93, while I have it up. I would prefer to not to have to remove the windshield.

The earlier models 86 and back are seperate and lift right out.

Lifting the deck - now there's a job.I refastened my rub rail... thought about getting a corded multi tool - http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/corded/MT100RK to remove adhesive between deck and hull. Then started looking and planned it out..

1. remove windshield -
2. lift deck uni formally -
3. remove carpet
4. clean floor
5. replace carpet

Item 2. for me was the show stopper. My 1995 PS 205 deck is too large for my tool set. I fear I would wind up with cracks that would just break my heart.

Nice job can't wait to see the finished project.

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Yesterday we (daughter and I) picked up the old wood from the interior shop to use as old templates. I used to restore vintage/antique aircraft and I am going to use some of the techniques we used to use. I'm using 1/2" Birch plywood non-treated for most of it and will have to get a 3/4" piece to finish it. I'm going to varnish all the wood using a 2 part aircraft epoxy varnish thinned out. This will soak in and once cured makes the wood rock hard and will keep moisture out, but more importantly will keep it from warping. Here are a few pics of the process.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
You are off to a great start............keep the pics coming.:toast:

DemolitionMan
03-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Good start.

gotta_ski
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
The hull/deck separation scares me too. Is there a clean, professional looking way to just cut the old carpet out and glue it down against the observer seat base so you don't have to split them? I'm going to need new carpet in a year or two and don't want to split the boat.

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Ended the day yesterday with the side panels looking like this.

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
My daughter Kasey (my big helper) and I got up early this morning and made a run to the interior shop to pick up the last seat base. Then we proceded to Lowes to get a few supplies and another sheet of plywood. Today we worked on finishing the side panels, but ran into a few snags and didn't get as far as we wanted, but we have a plan for tomorrow. Some of the hardware that we thought we could re-use was rusted out so we will have to pick that up in the AM. This prevented us from finishing the left side and starting the right. The observer seat back and seat base wood are finished with the exception of the epoxy varnish. We wont do that unitl all the pieces are complete. Another thing we found out during a test fit is you actually have to "score" the plywood in two critical areas to follow the bend on the boat. You will see this in one of the last pics. Once we got that done and fit we filled the gap with epoxy and let it cure to hold the "bend". Tomorrow we should have the other side panel framed up along with all the other wood final sanded and ready for epoxy varnish coat. Guys if you are doing this, I cant stress how long the wood will last if you do a 2 part epoxy coat. Forget the marine plywood. It may not rot but it will warp. A big "Thanks" to my daughter as she was in charge of plugging in all my tools, making sure I had a pencil, and keeping my thirst quenched!! Shes laughing as I type this! Oh yea...being an airplane guy I just had to snap a pic of the F18 Super Hornet on its way back from the Brownwood MOA (Military Operating Area). Love those guys!....Enjoy the pics...cheers! More tomorrow!

catamount
03-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Subscribed! What color are you going to powdercoat the window frame & pylon? I've thought about doing the same to my window frame, but getting the glass out of there looks like a real bear. You're not worried about that? Love the thread, keep the pictures coming.

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Here is a few pics of the "bend" we had to put in. After looking at the factory panels, it pretty much had the same thing.

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Subscribed! What color are you going to powdercoat the window frame & pylon? I've thought about doing the same to my window frame, but getting the glass out of there looks like a real bear. You're not worried about that? Love the thread, keep the pictures coming.

Im just gonna do a satin black. Im just gonna take an arse load of pics and hope for the best.

SkiDog
03-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Im just gonna do a satin black. Im just gonna take an arse load of pics and hope for the best.

Why don't you go ahead and cut out the 6x9 speaker holes too? Good job BTW!

learjet2230
03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Why don't you go ahead and cut out the 6x9 speaker holes too? Good job BTW!

Last thing. I was worried how close they were gonna be to the cut out for the sidewall reinforcements. Good thing cuz they need to be moved a hair...Thank you by the way...cheers

tph
03-13-2012, 11:14 PM

If the '88 is the same as the '89, the glass removal is easy. The aluminum framing is held together with screws.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Great work. I am enjoying this thread.

Phntmski
03-14-2012, 10:38 AM
:)

I'm enjoying this thread too, good work! The F18 pic was a nice touch :cool:.

catamount
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
If the '88 is the same as the '89, the glass removal is easy. The aluminum framing is held together with screws.

So you can just unscrew the frame and the glass will fall right out? if it's really this easy then I'm going to disassemble and powdercoat my frame as well.

I would have to hear confirmation of this before embarking on that challenge though.

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
So you can just unscrew the frame and the glass will fall right out? if it's really this easy then I'm going to disassemble and powdercoat my frame as well.

I would have to hear confirmation of this before embarking on that challenge though.

I will probably be pulling mine aprt this weekend if you wanna wait

catamount
03-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Great! Please document the tear-down... thank you!

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Great! Please document the tear-down... thank you!

will do...may not post all the pics here but I can email them to ya...just remind me

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Ok Folks...Made some good progress today. The pics may not do justice in showing that, but we got alot of details worked out. Started by taking another trip this morning to the local hardware store to get some items we were lacking along with a 3/4" sheet of birch ply. To make a long story short we got the other side panel complete. Both have had all the hardware installed and epoxied in where needed. We also got them fitted to make sure everything lines up correctly. Finished both seat bases and the observer seat back and started to final sand everything. I hope to finish my final sand tomorrow and epoxy coat everything maybe Friday. This will allow me to deliver all the wood items back to the interior shop. I hope to start strippping the items that need to go to the blaster/powdercoat guy on Saturday and get those to him early next week. Im in need of a few parts from MC so if anybody works at a dealer..lemme know. I've sent Jim @ BAWS a PM and have not heard back and I think there is another at Chicago MC. I need to procure a few things if Im gonna get this done before I leave for Amsterdam in May....Thats my goal!! Again here are some pics. They may not look like I accomplished much but all the little pieces really kill you in time. Again thanks to my daughter for the extra set of hands, and makin me lunch. And my loverly wife for letting me do this (as long as I stick to schedule and budget:smile:) Cheers fellas!!

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
few more....

mikeg205
03-14-2012, 08:20 PM
wow... very nice...keep it coming... love the pics and the family interaction... :)

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 08:21 PM
And a couple more of the driver seat. Final sanded awaiting epoxt coat.

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
wow... very nice...keep it coming... love the pics and the family interaction... :)

Thank you...used to live in Naperville and my wife is from McHenry. Ran a few track meets and swim meets down your way back in the high school days (92').

mikeg205
03-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you...used to live in Naperville and my wife is from McHenry. Ran a few track meets and swim meets down your way back in the high school days (92').

Be glad you are out of this state....tomorrow 2 governors in prison...at the same time...:confused:

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Be glad you are out of this state....tomorrow 2 governors in prison...at the same time...:confused:

My dad was with with Sears and we transferred there in 87'. I did high school in Aurora and college at Southern Illinios Carbondale, and we (wife and I) got outta there and back to Texas as fast as we could. Born here, raised here, hope to die here!! She is now a "Texan" and hopes to never go back to Irrinios!!!! Chicago is a cool city though!

SkiDog
03-14-2012, 10:15 PM
looking good there Gulfstream! OOpps, I meant Learjet!:D

learjet2230
03-14-2012, 10:20 PM
:eek3:...........

SkiDog
03-14-2012, 10:34 PM
:eek3:...........

Ha! JK! We have a Gulfstream interior finish facility about 3 miles from my house. Sorry for the threadjack pal!8p

thatsmrmastercraft
03-15-2012, 01:51 AM

That's even worse than having a former pro wrestler for a governor.:rolleyes::D:D

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Today after work I did a little more sanding (I HATE sanding!:mad:). I decided to do some of the Epoxy and went ahead and did the observer seat and back, and the driver seat bottom. Then I still had this unsanded side panel starring at me....so you guessed it...more sanding! I had to quit as I am dog tired (got up at 3a for work). No real exciting pictures (sorry)! Hope to finish the damned sanding :woohoo:tomorrow and Epoxy the side panels so I can deliver them back to the interior shop on Saturday. I will then hopefully be removing the stuff for powdercoat on Saturday and documenting the windshield take down. Then...guess what...more frickin sanding to remove carpet glue!!:woohoo: Also for those of you that have questions about the carpet under the observer seat and how the hell I'm gonna do it.....well I had one of those light bulb moments last night while drinking rum. I think its gonna work, but I'm not gonna tell ya til I get pics and it actually works!!! My goal is a 1 piece carpet without taking the deck off. Cheers!

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I hope I have a light bulb moment when I go to change mine out. My carpeting on my '95 205 runs under observer seat under helm..and under seats in bow and to bow point. I could see taking out all the screws and getting a little play under the deck to slide carpet if not too thick under observer seat...but I wonder if there would be enough play to slide the carpeting under. Now I am thinking about...lol..OCDMD kicking in...lol.

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 07:34 PM
I hope I have a light bulb moment when I go to change mine out. My carpeting on my '95 205 runs under observer seat under helm..and under seats in bow and to bow point. I could see taking out all the screws and getting a little play under the deck to slide carpet if not too thick under observer seat...but I wonder if there would be enough play to slide the carpeting under. Now I am thinking about...lol..OCDMD kicking in...lol.

Stay tuned...it like my little teaser to keep peeps reading.

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Well...I couldnt resist. Here are the pics of some of the wood after being coated. I also did my best rendition of my "light bulb moment" on lifting the deck for the carpet install. I think putting a "come-a-long" at this location is gonna work tied into my beam in the carport (plenty of support in case you were wondering). All the stress is transferred into the dash area, but at the same time pulls the observer seat up. I also think once the windshield is removed it will allow a little more "play" in the deck. I toyed with the idea of using a jack under the deck, but then I would be fighting the carpet around the foot of the jack and cussing up a storm. I pulled up by hand in this area and I got some good movement with little effort. My wife asked what happens if I break something, I said get your pen ready to fill out financing paperwork on a new boat. Her face was priceless!:eek: Let me here your thoughts!

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
here's my idea!!:popcorn:

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Did she stab you with a pen? :D :D :D

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Did she stab you with a pen? :D :D :D

I dont wanna find out

SkiDog
03-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Good idea, BUT, I think you might outa find a lifting spot on the seat base with a little more 'meat' around the opening to avoid stressing the glass too much. Maybe on the left side of the seat base where there is a turndown molded in, if ya know what I'm getting at.

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Good idea, BUT, I think you might outa find a lifting spot on the seat base with a little more 'meat' around the opening to avoid stressing the glass too much. Maybe on the left side of the seat base where there is a turndown molded in, if ya know what I'm getting at.

There is no leverage on that side. Any lift on the seat base itself i think is a no-no because that right side is pretty fragile up top where it ties into the deck

SkiDog
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
There is no leverage on that side. Any lift on the seat base itself i think is a no-no because that right side is pretty fragile up top where it ties into the deck

OK then, what about placing a 2x4 under the area where you lift it from to even out the pulling pressure over a larger area. run it from the drink holder opening over to the left about 18''-24''. That will help. I just don't wanna see you crack that gelcoat right there by the mirror area, ya know.

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
OK then, what about placing a 2x4 under the area where you lift it from to even out the pulling pressure over a larger area. run it from the drink holder opening over to the left about 18''-24''. that will help.

thats a grand idea right there!!!:toast:

SkiDog
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
thats a grand idea right there!!!:toast:

Thats why NOBODY pays me the big bucks! BTW, that pine tree looks dead!:D:D:D

learjet2230
03-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Damn your observant....stop giving my wife ideas for more chores!!! Yea we lost it in the drought last summer. We were hoping it might show signs of life this spring...but nope. I promise to cut it down by the time the thread is finished.

SkiDog
03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Damn your observant....stop giving my wife ideas for more chores!!! Yea we lost it in the drought last summer. We were hoping it might show signs of life this spring...but nope. I promise to cut it down by the time the thread is finished.

We'll see how observant YOU are this weekend when I get my boat out of the garage and post some pics!:D:D:D And yea, Mines been on my a$$ too about this!;)

mikeg205
03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
We'll see how observant YOU are this weekend when I get my boat out of the garage and post some pics!:D:D:D And yea, Mines been on my a$$ too about this!;)

Promised mine I would do yard work during the week so I could boat and ski/wake on the weekend...lol.

Moved 2.5 yards of soil today from front of house to back rto get old pool scar filled in... I think I need a yard and half more :(...

let's get back to the project and not hijack the thread...lol

Phntmski
03-15-2012, 11:13 PM
I just want to let everyone know how refreshing it is to feel the warm sense community, no, brotherly love, expressed here on this thread. :toast: Also, bang up job you're doing there Learjet! Sounds like your daughter's a great help too! :headbang:

joyner1020
03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
really nice wood work , cant wait to see the finished product ..

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Ok fellas...Made some really good progress today. There is a lot of pics coming at you but I will try to separate them out by topic. First thing I accomplished was I finished sanding!!!:headbang: I hate sanding! I also cut the speaker holes in the panels. I then proceeded to epoxy coat all the side panels and did a second coat on all the seats. They get the most abuse and moisture. For those of you that may be wondering what I am using for an epoxy. Its called Aplhapoxy and its made by Polyfiber. Its an aircraft grade epoxy. I mix it per the manuf. instuctions (2:1) and cut it with DENATURED ALCOHOL! Dont use rubbing or isopropyl alcohol as it contains water. You can use MEK but it is pretty nasty stuff! Why aircraft grade, no reason other than I asked around at the airport and the local mechanic had some expired stuff that he couldnt use...good enough for me, saved me a ton of $$$. You can use any two part epoxy (west system, epiphanes, smiths, etc).....I will be delivering these to the interior shop in the morning. Anyway.....here are some pics of the process and a pic of a local Marine heading back to base in a Super Hornet (F18). Missed two F16's as I couldnt get the gloves off in time to snap the pic....love planes in case you havent figured it out yet! More posts to follow!! Gotta thank my daughter for snappin all the photos...cheers

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Here is the F18:cool:

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Ok...after the wood we moved on to removing all the pieces for powder coating. I also elected to pull off the throttle and have it done as well. So I pulled it apart and documented it as well. Wont post all the pics but in case anybody in the future wants to dismantle, not too complicated.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Great work! I saw these planes a couple weeks ago sitting at a local small airport.

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Last but definately not least...we removed the windshield. It was a little stressful at times and I have to thank my lovely wife for helping both hold the windshield and taking the pics. It was definately a learning process and thank you to all the geeks out there for digital photography (no offense, you're Gods). It will make it much easier to put back together. Its not too difficult but it really helps to have an extra set of hands. I would also suggest cutting a 2x4 to fit between the top deck and the center windshield to support it. Loosen all the bolts on the bottom rail first and work both sets of side windows first, then take out the center first. Have a plan where the glass is going to go before you take it out. The side windows are flat, but the center is curved so it will have to be stored on end so its not stressed. Take a CRAPLOAD :eek3: of pics too! I think I have 60+ just of the removal!!!Hope to get the stuff to powdercoat this week. If anybody knows where I can get the windshield rubber channel I would like to replace it. I'm going to contact Jim@BAWS but if he cant get it I'd like to hear some alternatives. Here are a few pics, not of the entire process but just overall.

DemolitionMan
03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Great work! I saw these planes a couple weeks ago sitting at a local small airport.

What are you living in Russia now?

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 11:09 PM
More window pics

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 11:20 PM
last set of window pics!

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 11:35 PM
And due to the rum in my system, from my lovely picture takin wife keepin my glass full, I forgot to post the throttle pics...so here ya go!

learjet2230
03-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Looks like an A7 Corsair and some T38's in Russian markings!! Sweet!

DemolitionMan
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Nice Work.

strad
03-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Looks like an A7 Corsair and some T38's in Russian markings!! Sweet!

Actually T38s have two seats. F5s have one. So I'd say it's probably an F5. The F5 is not very well known like the T38, but it is essentially the same airframe.

learjet2230
03-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Actually T38s have two seats. F5s have one. So I'd say it's probably an F5. The F5 is not very well known like the T38, but it is essentially the same airframe.

Yup! Appears so!

SkiDog
03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Looking good Gulfstream! Ha, a dirtdaber in there!

1986 Tri-Star
03-17-2012, 05:12 PM
It is great to see another older MC getting the royal treatment! We just dropped our 86 Tri-Star off at the shop today for new interior, hull buff and typical maintenance. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress ! I will post ours as they become available.

learjet2230
03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Looking good Gulfstream! Ha, a dirtdaber in there!

Yep, lots of them bastards. I think Im gonna put some screen under my vents. Broke my hat last night swatting at a darned yellowjacket building a nest. Gotta love the country!!

learjet2230
03-17-2012, 07:42 PM
It is great to see another older MC getting the royal treatment! We just dropped our 86 Tri-Star off at the shop today for new interior, hull buff and typical maintenance. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your progress ! I will post ours as they become available.

Good to hear! I always liked the Tri-Star. Keep us posted on the progress as well!! Cheers

learjet2230
03-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Made some decent progress today. Had other things to do like mow the lawn, drink beer, etc. I got the swim platform removed along with all the brackets and speedo pickups that will be replaced (ill be selling my originals). I also had a little "snafu" when I pulled off the center bracket for the platform. I guess it decided it was really in love with the boat and took a big chunk of gelcoat with it. Well Sheite! See pics. Also did some work on removing the old carpet glue and that was easier than I thought. Good ol' orbital sander and some 60 grit discs and went to town. That floor is really "wavy". Is that normal?? The sides is a different story as the disc sander gets into the exposed weave too quick, so I may do a chemical removal on that, or just hit the high spots and leave it....suggestions? I delivered all the wood to the interior shop, and the guy offered me all his future woodworK on the spot! I was like...ok! Got a goody box from SKIDIM on Tuesday. Got my carpet delivered on Friday, and ordered a seat slider kit for Jim at BAWS this morning. Thanks Jim for the help. He also gave me a contact for the windshield rubber and I will try that Monday and let you all know if it pans out. All for now!

learjet2230
03-18-2012, 07:11 PM
My list is growing!! Did some more sanding of the floor glue today and am pretty much finished. Good god the dirt dabbers were terrible in the from plenum. I also found a washcloth! That will all get flushed with new hoses and screens to keep that from happening again. Removed the gas tank to be able to do a few things...change blower hose, change fuel line, change speedp pickup lines, and install a new tank sender. Also allows one less thing to work around when putting the carpet in. Upon removing the tank, I noticed that the backing plates for the lifting rings were shot. Since I lift my boat this way, this is a must change for me. I played hell getting one off and ended up cutting it from the outside. Just one more part to source!! Jim if your reading this I'm gonna call you in the morning to see if you can not only get the rings, but also the plates on the inside. As you will see in the pics mine basically crumbled. If he cant get them then I'm gonna have to fabricate the plates out of sheet steel. Filled some oversized holes for floorboards with Marine-Tex. Other than that, drank a few beers!!
Cheers!

mikeg205
03-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Great progress!!! How much more until reconstruction?...she's going to look great I bet! No mufflers? just straight exhaust hose?

learjet2230
03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Great progress!!! How much more until reconstruction?...she's going to look great I bet! No mufflers? just straight exhaust hose?
Thanks....!! Yes sir...no muffffflers!!! I have a business trip in a week so I am trying to get everything out that needs to be out and all parts ordered that I may need. So I suspect that I will be slappin things "majorly" together in 2 weeks ish! This week I'm gonna try to get the strut bushings replaced and possibly a rear floor board made. We have some pretty serious weather supposed to hit tomorrow and Tues so that may put a dampner on things. I have a goal of Mid April to be back on the water.

mikeg205
03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Absorbing all of this...when it comes for me to do this. I will need to redo my windshield soon on one side of my 95. looks like it was pretty easy to remove the glass from your pic's.

rjracin240
03-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Removed my front windshield to get the peeling window tint off that a previous owner had put on. When I went to put it back together, that rubber gasket for the window was hard as a rock; had to use a steam gun to soften the rubber up and work it back into place. Curious to know what work arounds you will come up with when you install your window.
Looks great and avidly following your resto as I have the same boat in dire need of a similiar resto.

catamount
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Awesome thread! I was going to remove my windshield but after looking at that process, I think I'll leave well enough alone (this year at least!).

I'm taking my pylon and side rails to the powdercoater this week. Can't stand the black, and they're all chipped up. We'll see how faux chrome looks.

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Absorbing all of this...when it comes for me to do this. I will need to redo my windshield soon on one side of my 95. looks like it was pretty easy to remove the glass from your pic's.

Yea it wasn't too bad. Definately have a helper.

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Removed my front windshield to get the peeling window tint off that a previous owner had put on. When I went to put it back together, that rubber gasket for the window was hard as a rock; had to use a steam gun to soften the rubber up and work it back into place. Curious to know what work arounds you will come up with when you install your window.
Looks great and avidly following your resto as I have the same boat in dire need of a similiar resto.

Suprisingly my rubber seal is pretty pliable, but its also worn out and loose in the channel. I may use a little Dawn soap when going back in. I'm going to try to find some new seal today..will keep ya'll posted

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Awesome thread! I was going to remove my windshield but after looking at that process, I think I'll leave well enough alone (this year at least!).

I'm taking my pylon and side rails to the powdercoater this week. Can't stand the black, and they're all chipped up. We'll see how faux chrome looks.

Thanks!! Its really not a big deal, but I suggest you have someone help.....chrome might look good.

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Zero work today. Wasnt feeling well so stayed home. Did some logistical stuff. Got my stern hooks ordered and found out what the plate is made of in the inside of the boat that they go through. Got in touch with the vendor (Taylor Made Systems) that did the windshields on these boats and they are going to send me some samples of the rubber. So I'm hopefully going to solve this issue.

mikeg205
03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Sounds like the storm passed you by...good thing...

learjet2230
03-19-2012, 07:32 PM
nope..its here....pea and marble size hail...but not too bad

learjet2230
03-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Still sick!!:(

mikeg205
03-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Still sick!!:(

don't know what's worse - sick in tx or in Orlando with no tow... :)

learjet2230
03-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Shewww!! Feeling much better. Got back to work today and back to work on the boat a little bit. I would like to thank you all for all the nice flowers, cards, and six-packs of cold beer you sent me to make me feel better. :rolleyes: It must have worked! :rolleyes:Anyway, I stopped and got some steel at the local metal shop and started making the stern-eye backing plates. I've got one made and will make the other tonight. Any thoughts of getting these powdercoated or should I paint? Thoughts? Also stopped by the interior shop to pick up the old carpet from the sidewall "pockets" and engine cover so I know how much to give him. Here are some pics.

imjusthereforthefood
03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
great thread! getting into fixing up my 87 ps190 and will be watching this thread closely. can't wait to see the progress pics of you installing the new carpet.

gl! looks great.

catamount
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Powercoat! For something that small, I bet it will cost ya less than $30. Hell, I'd powdercoat them for free for you if you shipped them to me (but I can't at the moment, the boat is in my garage blocking my oven).

learjet2230
03-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Powercoat! For something that small, I bet it will cost ya less than $30. Hell, I'd powdercoat them for free for you if you shipped them to me (but I can't at the moment, the boat is in my garage blocking my oven).

I'm gonna just throw them in with my batch that I am dropping off tomorrow. There wont be any extra charge i'm sure

learjet2230
03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Not much to report here today guys. Dropped off all the stuff today for powdercoat. Should be picking it up next weekend. Got my new seat rails and coned washers today. Thanks to Jim@BAWS for the help in getting me these. Anybody got a few pics of these and the proper mounting config....ie washers to the seat or washers to the base? Still waiting on some samples of the windshield rubber to show up. Filled some holes with marine tex and various other spots. Also played around with the buffer a little on the dash as a test. Did ok but it really needs to probably be wet sanded with some 600 or 800. I know you guys like pics so here are a few of those new stern eye plates I made and the new stern eye's that came in yesterday.

imjusthereforthefood
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM
updates! =]

learjet2230
03-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Sorry fellas...I've been on a business trip in Wichita,KS teaching a class. I return home tomorrow. I do know that I have some samples of rubber seal awaiting my return sent by Taylor. My powdercoating should be done by Monday. I am taking the week off after Easter so I should have some really good progress. I will also check on the interior tomorrow when I get home. Hang with me and keep checkin back.....cheers

mikeg205
03-30-2012, 06:09 PM
new parts are always fun to install...still with ya...

learjet2230
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
ok guys...back home. Had a list of "chores" to tend to this weekend as well as thin out the water snake population a bit. Right now its all about logistics and gathering parts and pieces. The powdercoating is done and will have it Wednesday. I checked on the interior, and the guy is startin to piss me off royaly!! I told him I would be back on Wed to check and there better be some progress or poo is gonna be slingin off the fan. I didnt bust my rump on getting the wood done in a week for it to sit on a shelf for 2-3 weeks. I have also been working diligently on securing this windshield seal. The samples that were sent to me were way off. So I sent them a few "slivers" of mine to match up and lengths that I need. I probably should of done that in the first place. I'm confident they have it, but there are just so many types to choose from. Once I secure the P/N's....anybody that is interested I will shell them out or put you in contact with the lady helping me at Taylor. I'm also in the process of setting up the buffer to come down and do the hull.......my boss' son that details on the side and I figure I'd save my back and help out an honest working kid that busts his hump and does a pretty darn good job. Again I apologize for kinda of "slowing down" on this thread. I promise that things are gonna speed up rapidly this weekend and next week, because I'm off of work. I have to get this done before the end of April cuz I leave for another business trip for 2+ weeks to Amsterdam and I want to launch it prior. But if its not right it will sit till it is.....cheers all....back to some rum!!

rjracin240
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Sorry the windshield seals are truning out to be such a issue, as a side note using a steam gun will soften those seals up enough to make em work; however it definitely is more beneficial to replace them and if you do please put on the top of the list for a part number!

Sorry I dont have a magic answer for you.

learjet2230
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
the seals I have are nice and soft...but they are worn and collapsed if that makes sense. They fit really loose and the glass rattles. Roger on the PN's. Ill get them...i'm persistent!

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Ok Boys and Girls...time for some updates. I'm gonna have several posts to catch up. Been alot going on and alot to tell. Powdercoating is back in and looks good! Will post pics as it is going back on. I did these strut bearings last week. Installed the new Vesconite bearings and we will see how those do. My old ones were shot and lasted about 8 years.

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Here are a few more of the bearings being removed and re-installed

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
My seat base had a few issues. The nuts that hold the rails on had almost pulled through the glass. I ended up using some resin with the glass already mixed in…stuff works great!! Filled the top holes using MarineTex. I know its not a match but these will be drilled back out. Also fixed some gouges. Here are a few before and after shots.
Old...

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
And after.....I have new seat rails and will post once installed

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
In the observer seat there were double holes that screwed to the floor. Got these filled and sanded. Looks a lot better than it did…before and after!

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
In some previous posts I made some new plates for inside the boat where the stern eyes attach. This area was also “pulled in” quite a bit so I built it back up with the chopped glass/resin combo to level it back out. Both sides look like the last picture.

mikeg205
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Great work...how long did the cutlass bearing project take you?

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Today we started the carpet install. My dad came and helped me and if you are planning on doing this I would definitely have and extra set of hands. It was a learning process as we went and we got better as we did more. All that is left is to glue a little on the sides and do some final trimming and glueing where it rolls into the bilge. My “come-along” idea worked and we were able to do the boat all in one piece. Not saying it was easy, but it happened. If you notice in the pic I moved the “come-along” to the left side. That corner at the base of the observer seat was the area of many choice words during this process. Ended up unbolting the steering gear and laying it in the bilge so we weren’t fighting any wires or cables. Stepped on my bilge pump and broke it so have to get another one! Here ya go….several pics in sequence of install!

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Great work...how long did the cutlass bearing project take you?

Bout 2 hours....includes removing and re-installing strut!

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
more carpet install pics....

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:50 PM
...and more

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Here are the last two carpet pics….lemme tell ya…my back is KILLING ME!!! Chew lots of Advil prior to carpet installation….Crawling in and out of that dam bow….felt like I was being born again each time!! But its done and just a few final finishes tomorrow! Definitely earned my cold beer!

learjet2230
04-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I have been up the interior shop’s dark hole to get my stuff finished. He just started cutting the material yesterday!!!! He said he will be done this week. I think the colors are going to look good….white, light grey, and a darker grey that matches the carpet in the original scheme. Momma didn’t want to depert too much from the original other than colors….Tomorrow I tackle the rest of the carpet including covering these two floorboards. I’m going to have to make a new rear floorboard as mine is soft and sagging. Its just particle board wrapped in glass and once the water seeps in its done. So I will make one out of the Birch ply I have and epoxy coat it and carpet it......all for tonight....more updates tomorrow! I have rum waiting....Cheers!!!

learjet2230
04-20-2012, 08:04 PM
I havn't forgotten bout ya'll....just been super busy with work. Should have some more posts with pics this weekend. Hope to pick up the completed interior tomorrow. It looks AWESOME!!

Lumbergh
04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Good times, nice work.

mikeg205
04-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Awesome? It's in the eye of the beholder......:D:D:D:D

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Ok, sorry fellas...I have been neglecting my thread. Everything you can imagine is preventing me from getting this boat finished. Broken washer, broken fridge (both fixed), Interior shop issues, cancelled 16 day business trip to Amsterdam at the last second....I mean bags packed heading to the airport and parking last minute. So after all the chaos I have finally settled back into the groove. I know I'm missing some pics of the transom area with the fuel tank install. Tank is in with a new sender. New speedo pickups with lines are in. Rear seat panel is carpeted and installed. New blower hoses installed. Side seat panels are carpeted and installed and rear seat is in place. I have all the interior back and all though it looks good, I'm pretty picky and there are a few issues....but the hell the guy put me thru, I'm just happy to have it back!! Enough said. Made a new rear floorboard, carpeted it, installed. Installed new bilge, loomed all the wires, installed center floorboard, put pylon bracket back in, and stabbed the pylon. Here are some pics. More pics will follow along with pics of interior

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 09:35 PM

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 10:03 PM

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 10:12 PM

Lumbergh
05-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice!

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 10:14 PM
last set...tomorrow maybe I will take some pics of the tank install. Hope to get all the wiring and cables up thru the floorboard with new vent hoses.....off to some rum....cheers!!

learjet2230
05-02-2012, 10:21 PM

orbeamlb
05-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Looking great!

mikeg205
05-03-2012, 12:24 AM
looks like a different boat...outstanding!!!

Phntmski
05-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Looks great! Have you floated it yet?

learjet2230
05-21-2012, 07:08 PM
The boat is pretty much 90% finished. Floated it yesterday with all the bare essentials installed (no radio, depth finder, side rails, etc). Ran into a really odd cooling problem that I will post on another thread and link here. I think I know what caused it. I have had some major internet problems that is why I havent posted many pics lately...modem keeps kickin off....fixed that last week so hope to get some more pics up soon.

learjet2230
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
here ya go!
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=841767#post841767

SpoonLakeProstar190
05-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Were you ever able to track down the windshield gasket part numbers from Taylor- I have an 88 also
Crazy lady in a pontoon boat cut across behind us (we were stopped) Caught the Wakeboard rope coming off the pylon extension- rope came across as I stood up flipped me up onto the windshield-rattled it good, top rail came 1/2 way off -- crimped the gasket badly-she finally stopped after the rope tightened and we were spun 180 degrees- I was so PO'd - grabbed the rope and pulled the pontoon all the way back as the handle was stuck under her lower unit-Bit my tongue as she was about 75- they never said a word- my son dove in - free'd it up - rope was fine - her hubby hopped in the drivers seat and off they went - unreal. Anyways- sorry for the story-- if you have the Taylor Ladies name and the part numbers for the gasket/s I would owe you big time. Also my 1st post -- this forum is awesome--
Great job on the ProStar--Looks outstanding.

learjet2230
05-22-2012, 10:35 PM
No I tried and tried and tried. She sent me samples, I sent her samples, I called MC...nothing. I probably have a combined 8 hrs of just phone conversation chalked up in that....not to mention the hrs searching on the web. I even sent the lady at Taylor lollipops and candy with my samples telling her that if she were able to get these I would have customers lined up 3 deep for her......nothing!! I ended up soaking mine in a bucket of water, dawn soap, and vinegar to clean them. Turned out ok....better than they were. As for your story...i wouldn't of been so nice. I would of dragged their *** bag to the ramp backwards!!!

mikeg205
05-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Were you ever able to track down the windshield gasket part numbers from Taylor- I have an 88 also
Crazy lady in a pontoon boat cut across behind us (we were stopped) Caught the Wakeboard rope coming off the pylon extension- rope came across as I stood up flipped me up onto the windshield-rattled it good, top rail came 1/2 way off -- crimped the gasket badly-she finally stopped after the rope tightened and we were spun 180 degrees- I was so PO'd - grabbed the rope and pulled the pontoon all the way back as the handle was stuck under her lower unit-Bit my tongue as she was about 75- they never said a word- my son dove in - free'd it up - rope was fine - her hubby hopped in the drivers seat and off they went - unreal. Anyways- sorry for the story-- if you have the Taylor Ladies name and the part numbers for the gasket/s I would owe you big time. Also my 1st post -- this forum is awesome--
Great job on the ProStar--Looks outstanding.

Mini-thread jack....was hoping to see someone here from Oak Run.... that place was being excavated when I was a kid.... sorry to here your story....:(

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Not sure if they have what your looking for but this place has lots of gasket type stuff http://tacomarine.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi?usr=51G3709779&rnd=594098&rrc=N&affl=&cip=67.232.96.185&act=&aff=&pg=ste_splash

SpoonLakeProstar190
05-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks, I'll check out the gasket site and clean them up-will try some heat to see if that will work.
We have a Lake Access home at Oak Run. Great Place-

LotusV8
06-23-2012, 05:05 PM
We need to see the finished product........ Im betting it looks brand new!

mikeg205
07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Hey learjet.... too much suspense... :)

learjet2230
07-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Understand....I bought a Baja that has been kickin my azz with an ignition problem. MC is done and hangin in the boathouse. Will get some pics up soon