PDA

View Full Version : Cooler Ice solutions?

zamboniman
03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Wondering what others do. Looking for ice suggestions from folks that do a LOT of boating or live on the water.

Looking at years past we use a LOT of ice. Usually have people pickup bags on the way over. Bags are getting pricey, we probably spend an average $20 on ice on any given weekend. Over a season that adds up a bit.

Every summer I say I'm going to get an ice machine and I keep my eye out for a deal here and there.

I don't think I'm at the point of paying a $G plus for a dedicated machine as well as the energy to run it. I don't need to make a ton quickly all the time like a restaurant machine. And the home units don't really store more than a bags worth anyway.

Is there a better solution? Maybe just stock up on reusable ice packs? The McGyver in me is thinking to just get a garage fridge and remove the ice maker bucket and replace with something that fills most of the freezer space.

mikeg205
03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Get a cheap used fridge with ice maker...not side by side but freezer on top or bottom...might be able to get for a few hundred...Take out collection bucket and install a barrier to catch ice from ice maker. For example a piece of masonite or plastic to keep ice from falling out when opening upper freezer and nothing to do with freezer on bottom. Friend did this with a $100 fridge - never ran out of ice...lol. Ice sometime spilled out of upper freezer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYryLFfOa8k - sorry couldn't resist... :)

MASTIQUE
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Get an old deep freezer off craigslist. Then contact your local ice company and have them deliver (fill your freezer) once a month. I bet you'll get a deal and you will always have ice. You could also get one of the ice boxes you see at gas stations, those show up on craigslist from time to time. Just get it delivered and save some $$.

Thrall
03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Garage fridge with an icemaker, fill the freezer with ice.

Jeff d
03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
If you have enough alternator capacity what about one of those 12 volt powered "ice chests"?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q73C66/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002IV9OS8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0EGDP6XJ9C6KHW3ZZKNM

If you're skiing/boarding most of the time (i.e. engine running) it would probably work well. If you're just chilling (pun intended) in the boat then obviously it wouldn't do you much good. You'd definitely want to wire it up to ignition switched power though if your 12 volt outlets are always on like mine.

mikeg205
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
What we need is a good ole, Tim Allen ala Tool Time TT designed replicate-able and solution... :D

jakethebt
03-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Pretty good idea on the used freezer. A side by side would work well as the ice maker is usually at the top. You could take out everything and make the entire side an ice storage bin.

Also a good idea on the deep freezer. They can be had new for under $200. I am not sure that you would get a deal on delievered, but it would be worth a call to the local guys.

mikeg205
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Pretty good idea on the used freezer. A side by side would work well as the ice maker is usually at the top. You could take out everything and make the entire side an ice storage bin.

Also a good idea on the deep freezer. They can be had new for under $200. I am not sure that you would get a deal on delievered, but it would be worth a call to the local guys.

pickup truck, case of beer, final four this month - problem solved... :D

Cloaked
03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Wondering what others do. Looking for ice suggestions from folks that do a LOT of boating or live on the water.

Looking at years past we use a LOT of ice. Usually have people pickup bags on the way over. Bags are getting pricey, we probably spend an average $20 on ice on any given weekend. Over a season that adds up a bit.

Every summer I say I'm going to get an ice machine and I keep my eye out for a deal here and there.

I don't think I'm at the point of paying a $G plus for a dedicated machine as well as the energy to run it. I don't need to make a ton quickly all the time like a restaurant machine. And the home units don't really store more than a bags worth anyway.

Is there a better solution? Maybe just stock up on reusable ice packs? The McGyver in me is thinking to just get a garage fridge and remove the ice maker bucket and replace with something that fills most of the freezer space.I bought a low end commercial Kitchen Aid on a friend's employee discount at $900. Already had a freezer. I keep about 50 - 80 lbs in the freezer while the machine will make 50 lbs in about 24 hours if one is willing to bag it when the bin fills. Otherwise, I get about 25 lbs per day. I ended up having to buy 10 lb. commercial bags (500 with strings for about $90). Plastic grocery type sacks will not hold up under the cold temps.

A nice ice scoop is essential.

Twenty pounds will get me through the day, and I get calls from friends and family for extra ice on birthday parties and lake trips.

No more $2.00 for a 7 lb bag and the hassle of rearranging and packing a cooler at the fuel station. Love my ice maker...

seth25
03-12-2012, 11:49 PM
When we go to Lake Powell we freeze one gallon water jugs and put them in the cooler. Keeps stuff cold and lasts a long time.

2RLAKE
03-13-2012, 06:47 AM
we have an ice maker at the lake ... many of us do now .. one friend has one of those restaurant/hotel size one ...

pmkkdx
03-13-2012, 08:46 AM
similar concept as others have mentioned ... 1 gallon zip-lock freezer bags filled from kitchen side by side ice maker throughout the week, storing in separate upright freezer in laundry room and freezer portion of garage over/under (bought on craigslist for $60).

We also fill up gallon water jugs, sterilized quart gatoraide & pint water bottles (leave a bit of head space and lids off until frozen, place lids on prior to use). These nest nicely into an ice chest with your other beverages and also provide drinking water when thawed. You can also slam the frozen gallon jugs on concrete a few times, then cut away the jug (or bust it open on the concrete) & sprinkle into cooler, toss the jug.

I have a friend with a small (18"x24"x36") free standing (under the counter) ice maker that also bags the ice throughout the week and fills a separate upright freezer ...

below are a few I found reasonably inexpensive, but also limited storage capacity (frequency of bagging could be a PITA)

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Whynter-T-2M-SNO-Compact-Portable-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Steel-Brushed-Nicke_item_2812966.html?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag $365, 35 lbs/24hr (limited storage)

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Sunpentown-IM-120B-1-5-lb-Capacity-Portable-Compact-Ice-Maker-Black_path__item_2782122.html $246, 26 lbs/24hr (limited storage)

http://www.nextag.com/Danby-DIM1524W-33-lb-81073461/prices-html $200-250, 33 lb/day w/3lb storage.

http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_name_Sunpentown-IM-150US-6-Lb-Capacity-Under-Counter-Ice-Maker-Stainless-Stee_path__item_2782160.html $435, 12 lbs/day but has 6 lb storage capacity.

gatorguy
03-13-2012, 09:50 AM
When we go to lake powell we use about $200 worth of ice despite having a chest freezer on the front deck and two over/under fridge/freezers in the kitchen. Granted about half of that is ice we put in the big igloo drinking water jug.

ntidsl
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
I refreeze my ice. Drain water from cooler...rebag left over ice, stick back in freezer, use next weekend. Usually only need to buy a bag a week this way and the refrozen ice is chuckier and lasts long time. Also if you make ice at home, use it!!! it's nice to start with fresh ice int he freezer weekly. One more thing...freeze 5 or 6 bottles of water and use them as ice helpers in your cooler; your ice will last longer. Oh yeah...I also use old margarine containers filled with water in freezer...these ice blocks dumped in cooler last a long time...yes my wife mocks me!

east tx skier
03-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I would never spend this much money on a cooler. However, a very nice relative got these for my wife and her siblings for Christmas and they are pretty amazing.

Yeti Coolers (http://www.yeticoolers.com/)

captain planet
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Get an old deep freezer off craigslist. Then contact your local ice company and have them deliver (fill your freezer) once a month. I bet you'll get a deal and you will always have ice. You could also get one of the ice boxes you see at gas stations, those show up on craigslist from time to time. Just get it delivered and save some $$.

We do this at our boat club in the summer. Aside from having the beg them to deliver to us, the price is right at 0.75 per bag.

milkmania
03-13-2012, 04:21 PM
my local liquor store provides me with all the ice I'll ever need...
I bring them customers and they reward me with ice on-duty or off-duty :headbang:

see if your local store gives ice to their customers.... a lot of them do around here.

edit:
We also have "Twice The Ice, Ice Houses" around here....
$2.00 for 16 lbs. bagged or $2.00 for 20 lbs. bulk
Pretty handy when you're in a hurry.
http://www.icehouseamerica.com/images/sicebkhouse5.jpg

Scott
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Ice machine and upright freezer.. We use alllooootttt of ice..:D

ctjahn
03-13-2012, 05:20 PM
.... My experience is NEGATIVE with a cheap one bought at the local Farm and Fleet... (very bad insulation and didnt retain frozen stuff for a day - a good cooler worked better than using the plug in model) ; I ran it on a independent battery.

But maybe there are good experiences with 12 volt coolers? (unless you need the ice for mixed drinks!) :cool:

Cj

kkkeating
03-13-2012, 05:44 PM
It takes a lot of energy to cool drinks down if they’re put in the cooler warm. Pre-cool, or better yet pre-freeze as much as possible(Gatorade, water, Poweraid, etc can easily be pre-frozen ahead of time.) The more frozen drinks you have the less ice needed. Put a white tower over the cooler and keep it wet, the evaporation will keep the outside much cooler than if’s in direct sunlight.

ctjahn
03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
I used it just for frozen meats, for weekends, or just for drinks, or, just for ice... but it seems like it oozed cold out of every area and the "cooler" developed a lot of heat too (again it was a cheap one)...

cj

zamboniman
03-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Wow had no idea this question would get much traction. I knew I couldn't be the only guy that had hit this crossroads. Thanks for suggestions some things I hadn't thought of for sure. I was all pumped on the freezer conversion until I thought about the plumbing where I wanted to put it. Not a dead deal though and maybe just need to compromise on the location.

jdl xstar
03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe its just the Mcdonalds by me, but during the summer they sell 10 lb bags of ice for $1. Though, usually when I get ice, its when i'm towing the boat on the way to the lake and don't see myself wanting to deal with a mcD's parking lot.

milkmania
03-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Also, I've bought a soft sided 12 can cooler with removable plastic insert for about $10.00

I put a gallon or two of water in the plastic insert and throw it in the freezer..... makes solid block of ice on the bottom.... lasts all day, for CHEEP!!!!

http://everydayreviews.net/2011/07/205/

pmkkdx
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I would never spend this much money on a cooler. However, a very nice relative got these for my wife and her siblings for Christmas and they are pretty amazing.

Yeti Coolers (http://www.yeticoolers.com/)

along the same lines as the Yeti coolers but considerably less expensive ... http://www.dsoutdoors.net/

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 12:14 PM
For $40, you can get a Coleman Xtreme that will perform nearly as well. We put some ice in the yeti for a party. Granted, it was opened and closed several times, but that ice was completely melted after about 5 days (and this was in February). They're robust as can be, but they are not keeping that ice for 2 weeks.

mikeg205
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
For $40, you can get a Coleman Xtreme that will perform nearly as well. We put some ice in the yeti for a party. Granted, it was opened and closed several times, but that ice was completely melted after about 5 days (and this was in February). They're robust as can be, but they are not keeping that ice for 2 weeks.

Party....5 days...??? when is the next 5 day party???? :D :D :D

east tx skier
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Party....5 days...??? when is the next 5 day party???? :D :D :D

We just left the cooler in the garage after my son's 2nd birthday for a week or so. :)

I used to use a Coleman Xtreme as a mashtun for home brewing. You could hold mash temps within 1 degree for well over an hour.

The problem with any of these coolers is, unless it's being used for food storage, it's being opened regularly. I don't care how insulated a cooler is, if you're opening it every ten minutes, the ice will melt.

pkskier
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I just find it a bit ironic that someone calling themselves zamboniman is asking for help on ice.

Kyle
03-14-2012, 04:50 PM
I just find it a bit ironic that someone calling themselves zamboniman is asking for help on ice.

lol that is funny right there

zamboniman
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Lol .. owned