PDA

View Full Version : Going from 14" to 15" tires?

Jerseydave
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
'05 X-star trailer, thinking of going from 215/75R14 to 205/75R15 tires and wheels.
It looks like I have enough clearance. Anyone ever do this?

The 14" ST tires are getting tougher to find it seems. The added benefit would be more load carrying capacity. Plus I have the advantage ofsaving my 14" tires/rims and putting them on my prostar trailer.

Thoughts?

gotta_ski
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Wouldn't it make the trailer ride a little firmer going to a larger wheel? I thought that was the tradeoff, but it might not be enough of a difference to matter. As long as it won't ride too hard, it seems like it would be a nice upgrade. And you'll look way cooler. You going to put spinners on it?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Nominal dimension difference is the 205/75R15 is almost a 1/2" taller and almost a 1/2" narrower than the 215/75R14. I haven't seen any difficulty in finding 14" ST tires, but probably not as available at the franchise tire stores. A 1/4" less clearance doesn't seem like much, but most tandem trailers don't have a lot of clearance. Factor in any load in the boat along with hitting a pothole on the road and suddenly that clearance runs out. Going up one inch in wheel size is not really noticeable. I always recommend a minimum increase of two inches on cars and trucks to be really appreciated, and the same applies to trailers. Then you can run into low profile tire issues. Just my :twocents:

AZX9
03-16-2012, 03:00 AM
I suggest if you are considering a wheel upsize skip 15's and go 16+. I've never owned a "trailer tire" that didn't blow out within a short time and they are rated for 65 mph max. Adjust your torsion axel for the needed Clearence. That opens up a world of high speed d and e rated tires as well as low profile options. Be done with blow outs by getting rid of "trailer" tires.

Jerseydave
03-16-2012, 11:06 PM
After measuring/looking at my fender clearance I decided to stick with the 215/75R14 tires on some new MB wheels!
After speaking to Discount Tire online he informed me that the new style Carlisle trailer tires have been re-designed to run cooler than the old style tire.

BTW AZX9, I have leaf springs so no torsion bars to adjust. (I didn't think they were adjustable on the new trailers?)

AZX9
03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Be careful, Carsisle has a horrible reputation for blowouts. I would try to find the tire with the highest weight rating and get the insurance they offer, you'll use it.

Cloaked
03-17-2012, 12:51 PM
After speaking to Discount Tire online he informed me that the new style Carlisle trailer tires have been re-designed to run cooler than the old style tire. A bunch of crap in my opinion. Carlisle has been discussed here many times over.