PDA

View Full Version : Dash help

helton333
03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I want to replace my dash inserts on a 2003 205V (same as x2 dash that year) - likely just have them vinyl'd and clear coated in something more up to date - mine has the wood grain look and with vinyl you can pretty much do whatever.

Anybody got tips on how hard it is to take these off? Are they glued or clipped?

I don't even want to mess with it if it is like an entire weekend project but if it is fairly straightfoward, then I will just jump on in

Thanks!!

02ProstarSammyD
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Pretty sure its identical to my 02 209. The main overlay for the gauges is held in by the gauges. The bottom ones are held in by 4 small bolts with wingnuts on the back.

I just removed my entire dash to have it dyed and was going to cover the aluminum with cf 3M dinoc vinyl but just never got around to doing the overlays. The 3M stuff is supposed to be great and easy to work with.

To remove the dash take the pins off the back of the dash by the windshield and unscrew under the steering wheel. THis will allow the entire assembly to be moved forward enough to reach the other bolts. All of the guages are held in by brackets connected to 2 bolts on each gauge. All of the plugs are pretty much single connection and they don't matter what order you replug them in. All connections will have to be taken off and the gauges removed. For any other connections besided plugs use some wire numbers to remember what goes where.

For the lower toggles you will have to either disconnect the rear connections (use wire numbers and make a diagram) or remove the toggle switch covers. Be careful to not lose or drop the switch pieces. After that remove the 4 wingnuts on each and the overlay is out.

For the side panel pieces welcome to fun. The throttle panel cover can be reached from behind the panel. Do NOT take apart the side panel unless you like dealing with a pita. Then remove the screw from the center of the throttle handle and the hex that is in the throttle handle. This will allow you to remove the throttle handle in its entirety. That side panel piece should be held in by 2 plastic wingnuts and is a pita to reach if you have big arms. I'm skinny and had myself buried under the dash elbow deep in pain trying to reach it. Still a better alternative to taking apart the side panel.

I would again suggest the nidoc if you like the carbon fiber look. It comes in a few diff colors and is easy to work with.

This is about a 3-4 hour job given 5 min beer breaks and the occassional time to mark down a wire diagram. Mine took forever just b/c the side panel was a pita and I removed the entire thing. Also it is pretty much guaranteed that you will rip the mounting holes if you remove the side panel. I think a chrysler engineer must have been on board for that lil piece of work

helton333
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you so much.

helton333
03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
somebody needs to make die-cut like cars do to just dress these up on older boats without tearing them apart. You pick a couple older boats like mine where half the MC's had the same dash, I would think plenty of folks would be interested.

02ProstarSammyD
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
No problem man. If you get in a zone you can really have this done faster but I only tell people how fast my lazy butt can do things. Its pretty straight forward but make sure you mark wires and bag bolts. Nothing worse than watching a bolt go down a hole to never return again

02ProstarSammyD
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
somebody needs to make die-cut like cars do to just dress these up on older boats without tearing them apart. You pick a couple older boats like mine where half the MC's had the same dash, I would think plenty of folks would be interested.

Problem is youd have to take the dash apart anyways. With the variety of gauges that go in such as PP, depth, etc. There does need to be some overlays period but I guess the market is just alil too thin.

Tim2ski
04-01-2012, 11:29 AM
I am looking at a product called Di-Noc made 3M. This stuff looks amazing. I just got a sampler pack of all of the finishes they make. They actually have 2 types, the Di-Noc and the Series 1080.
It is a vinyl film that molds to any surface when heated with a heat gun with very easy movement until it cools.

I was looking for a carbon fiber look alike to replace what I now have on the dash panels. The Di-Noc was the first version and can be used on any surface from laptops to car hoods. The Series 1080 is a little sturdier and is designed a little more for exterior automotive applications.
Just go to You Tube and check out some of the videos. I may end up covering a lot of my interior in this stuff because it comes in a mess load of colors and finishes (including a wood grain)

vandit0022
04-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't know if this is helpful or not but greatlakesskipper.com seems to have lots of dash parts, bezels etc. I was looking at replacing my switches with the aluminum panels w/ red lighted switches but people said those switch tips broke frequently.