PDA

View Full Version : Maristar trim tab update

gregg
08-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Received the Bennett X-14 mono wake tab middle of the week and let's just say I am less than impressed, and is not of a quality to install on a Mastercraft. Had a couple of conversations with Lenco yesterday, emailed them some pictures, and will call them back this morning. We are certain we can design a tab that will work on these boats similar to the new 230s that will require very little modifications. Will keep all interested informed on outcome.

bigmac
08-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Received the Bennett X-14 mono wake tab middle of the week and let's just say I am less than impressed, and is not of a quality to install on a Mastercraft. Had a couple of conversations with Lenco yesterday, emailed them some pictures, and will call them back this morning. We are certain we can design a tab that will work on these boats similar to the new 230s that will require very little modifications. Will keep all interested informed on outcome.

Is the tab that Lenco makes for the 06 230VRS available from Lenco? I haven't had my dealer price that one out for me for my 04 230VRS - but I'm interested in adding one to my boat, and so is my buddy on his 04 X-10.

prostar205
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Gregg -

Sorry to hear about the quality issue of the Bennett tab. I assume the Bennett Tab is a hydraulic version, requiring a reservior to be added to the about.

I really like the Lenco version. Its all electro-mechanical motion. It uses a jack-screw type of device, similar to the jack-screw assembly that raises and lowers the elevator on the MD-80 aircraft. I thought I heard that the Lenco unit that is on the '06 X30s would not work on the '02-'05 X30s because the height under the swimstep was not enough to mount the piston assembly.

I will be very interested in your findings.

gregg
08-13-2005, 11:36 AM
bigmac: Did not get to talk to Lenco yesterday as planned, busy day, so we have not been that far yet. We are trying to come up with something that will fit with very little modification. Also am not sure how the 230s compare in draft, transom room ect. to the 210s. Am hoping if we can find the right combination of tab and actuator, if enough are interested we could put together a group purchase.

Prostar: Was not concerned about the hydraulic issue. Several other things concerned me. I am sure they are a great product for some applications, just not mine. I have a feeling you are right about the clearance issue on the 02 to 05 Maristars which is the battle we are fighting. From the bottom of my hull upward I only have about 8 1\2 inches to work with. Hope to work it out early next week. Will keep you all posted.

bigmac
08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
bigmac: Did not get to talk to Lenco yesterday as planned, busy day, so we have not been that far yet. We are trying to come up with something that will fit with very little modification. Also am not sure how the 230s compare in draft, transom room ect. to the 210s. Am hoping if we can find the right combination of tab and actuator, if enough are interested we could put together a group purchase.

Prostar: Was not concerned about the hydraulic issue. Several other things concerned me. I am sure they are a great product for some applications, just not mine. I have a feeling you are right about the clearance issue on the 02 to 05 Maristars which is the battle we are fighting. From the bottom of my hull upward I only have about 8 1\2 inches to work with. Hope to work it out early next week. Will keep you all posted.

This is the wake plate on the 06 230VRS, and I assume X-30 as well. I don't know how the measurements compare to the 210/X-10, or even how they compare to the '02-'05 230/X-30, but note the black arm that cantilevers off the back of the plate - it almost looks like that might be MasterCraft's attempt to get around the height problem between swim platform and back of plate...

http://mccollister.info/06maristar/waketab.jpg

As a semi-related issue, I wonder whether or not such a wake tab would have a positive effect on the prop cavitation that these hulls appear to be prone to at higher throttle settings and in right turns.....

:confused:

bigmac
08-13-2005, 02:04 PM
I have a feeling you are right about the clearance issue on the 02 to 05 Maristars which is the battle we are fighting. From the bottom of my hull upward I only have about 8 1\2 inches to work with. Hope to work it out early next week. Will keep you all posted.

Assuming a 9 inch deep tab, and given 8 inches in height that you have to work with, applying my great trigonometric skill :D would indicate that the actuator could be 12 inches long. The Lenco tab on the 230 is their XD-101, which is 11-1/8 inches long overall. Something to think about....

http://www.lencomarine.com/Actuator%20Folder/Resources/xdactuatorartweb.jpeg