PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand my charging system...

RyanD121
03-12-2012, 02:51 AM
I have an '08 X-Star that came with two batteries, one starting and one accessory. On the battery switch, it has an OFF, ON, and CONNECT ALL setting. I added an additional accessory battery and a 3-bank on board battery charger with one lead going to each battery. Im running a pretty large stereo that I play without the engine running, and I would like to add a third accessory battery. My question is, when my engine is running, with the switch in the ON position, will my alternator charge only my start battery, or will it try to charge all four batterys?

lanep82
03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
If you have your switch set to 'all', it will charge all your batteries while boat is running............

Jerseydave
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
My first thought would be to use your cranking battery by itself (isolate it) to start the engine. Then use those 3 acc. batteries for your stereo since you're installing an on-board battery charger anyway (just for those batteries.) How many hours of stereo time could you get from those 3 batteries? 2-4 hours? Maybe more? I assume you would plug in your charger every night for those batteries right?

At least this way your engine cranking battery is always seperate and you won't get stranded.
Plus I don't think your alternator is going to be able to charge 4 batteries very well.

Just my $.02 :D