PDA

View Full Version : T-9 Days!

stevo137
08-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Almost the official end of summer :( It's been a pleasure getting to know all of you this season. I thought perhaps we could make some comments and post a few memorable pics reflecting this season.
This was our first time out in the 93 S&S on Tim's Ford. We went straight to the ramp after buying it. We are very happy to have it and it was worth the trip. What a beautiful lake! Beau, you got it made!

John B
08-29-2004, 12:57 PM
It has been a great summer and it's not over yet. Summer is not over till the snow fly's. At lest the water skiing part.That why they make dry suites.I don't know any of you,but I feel like I do.When I bought my 96 PS 190 this summer I got allot of help for you guys to help me that care of the problems I was having. :worthy: I would post some(more) pictures of my summer, but I think everybody has seen enough of me.But I do have more pictures allot more. :D

stevo137
08-29-2004, 01:05 PM
John, please add one that gave you your best memory. Your pics look great!

John B
08-29-2004, 01:14 PM
I'll will look to find one.But it still not over yet. :D

André
08-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Don't know when summer ends in your area but here it's around Sept 20 or 21...That would double the Summer days left...
It's been (and still is) a great ski season that started around May 10,16 days after the ice melt.The weather wasn't really nice but living on a lake,you can always go for a quick set in between rain showers.CouldN,t improve to the goal i had set myself for the summer,28 off @ 34 mph,but skied my 22 off about 3 out of 4 times.
Water temp is still above 70 f,air temp around 78,C'mon guys,still some good skiing to be done!!! :banana:

John B
08-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Here it is the memorable thing about this summer.
My course, Insta-Slalom the course setup time of 30 min.and about the same to that it in. :D

bradamerry
08-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Next weekend will mark the end of the boat's summer. As soon as we return, it starts getting a face lift for next year! Maybe Farmer Ted will invite me for a pass or two?

H20skeefreek
08-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Next weekend will mark the end of the boat's summer. As soon as we return, it starts getting a face lift for next year! Maybe Farmer Ted will invite me for a pass or two?

didn't farmer ted have a major accident? something about a hole in the boat?? or was that someone else?

bradamerry
08-29-2004, 09:18 PM
Farmer Ted may get it back in a few weeks, I know he hopes so!!!

stevo137
08-29-2004, 09:51 PM
It almost always takes longer than they tell you. Yesterday was the first time that I skied in over a month, Man I'm sore!

Farmer Ted
08-29-2004, 10:02 PM
I don't expect to see the rig (in the water) at least until the end of September. Hopefully I will be surprised and it will come back quicker. Right now I'm just waiting for the go ahead from the insurance adjuster so the repair process can begin.

That course is looking good JohnB, is that an EZ Slalom or Insta-slalom?
Any chance you could post a thread with some of those awesome pictures of the installation/removal process?

I'm kind of on the fence about buying one but would like to get my hands on one first.

This was taken the second day of running through the course, I finally got a couple of balls when Brad let the rope out to 90 feet and slowed the boat down to 16 MPH, :banana:

Oh yeah, I enhanced the color of the first ball as it was almost invisible

John B
08-30-2004, 12:54 AM
It is a Insta-Slalom. I don't have any pictures of the setup or tear down.If you go to their web site they have a phone number to call for a video.The first time we set it up it took 1 hr. after it was only 30 min. If you watch eBay they will show up there ever now and then.THERE IS ONE ONE THERE NOW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71174&item=3696947204&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Doug, on the web site they have something about make a course for your needs.(4 feet of water)
Buying this course has made this on of the best summer for me and all of my ski partners.
I set it up on Mondays and pull it on Fridays. Till next week when all the weekend warriors go away, then it stays up.

John B
08-30-2004, 12:59 AM
Here is Insta-Slalom's web site: http://www.instaslalom.com/

east tx skier
08-30-2004, 01:13 PM
It has been a good summer, although I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I'd have liked to have. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best time of the year (post labor day weekend). The lakes clear out and those of us who don't mind cooler water temps (which has a different meaning to me than it does Andre for sure), will have the lakes a little more to ourselves. My plan is to winterize shortly after Thanksgiving (Farmer's Almanac has predicted a balmy winter for the South).

John, thanks for the link. I'm finally going to have a chance to get down to my FIL's place over the next two weekends. I'm going to take some measurements and see if it's doable lengthwise. I have access to a portable course (or two) that I can use for measurements if need be. But if it's shallow enough, a drop in course is much cheaper (with my intent being to leave the subs in year round and remove the bouys when not in use). I'll check it out though.

It's been a good year indeed, even with my expensive 4th of July mishap.

jimmer2880
08-30-2004, 01:47 PM
Tx - don't forget - I posted measurements for a course in the photo's section. These were derived from the AWSA's spec's for a course.

Let me know if you need more than that.

thx - jimmer

Knoxes
08-30-2004, 01:49 PM
I haven't skied yet this season.

jimmer2880
08-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Here it is....I .zip'd so I could keep it the original size.....

east tx skier
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
I've had that one printed out for a while now. Anyone care to guess what the minimum necessary amount of room I will need. I know the course is approx. 900 feet, but to get up to speed and give the skier time to get situationed, I'm guessing I'll need at least 1,800 or so minimum (assuming I won't be using the course in both directions).

jimmer2880
08-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Just guessing from my passes but....

We aren't space cramped - so we typically use 3x the length of the course total. 1 length to get setup, 1 lengh to ski around the balls, then another length so we're ready for the next set back through. But - you can probably do it with only 1/2 the course for a setup. I'm going to say a minimum would be 1800' (like you said).

east tx skier
08-30-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm basing that figure on what I've read regarding lengths for private lakes, with the ideal length at around 2,200 ft. So, ideally I'm guessing that 650 feet would be sufficient to get up and running. With the 1,800 feet, I'd probably be looking at a one-way course, which although far from ideal, would be better than no course at all. Worst case scenario, I could do a four ball practice course.

NeilM
08-31-2004, 02:09 AM
Andre, once again, I'm jealous. Water temp at Ghost Reservoir here tonite was 61 degrees and falling, air temp about the same.

Tried wakeboarding again and took a nasty spill -- knocked the wind out of me and bruised some ribs for sure -- can barely move. Might not be able to go out tomorrow after work.

Definitely set a new record: I'm coming up on 100 hours and the season's not over yet..

André
08-31-2004, 08:18 AM
Neil
Sorry for your ribs!I know it's painful....Does it hurt when you laugh at dancing bananas? :banana: :banana: :banana:

MarkP
08-31-2004, 11:17 AM
61, that’s bad. Although, I don’t think I’ve been in 70 degree water yet this year. I think 69 was tops this year. I may “road trip” :steering: to Tygart lake some morning to see if I can find some smooth water. Never been to that lake but the “Army Corps” tells me the water temps are 82:woohoo:

east tx skier
08-31-2004, 11:26 AM
I've had a couple of weeks off, but the next two weekends will be sweet. Totally spaced on the fact that this weekend was labor day. Perfect excuse to leave my boat in the garage and let my FIL drive his boat. I'll bring mine out next weekend when the lakes are closer to being a Wally-free utopia.

Thrall
08-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Neil, I feel your pain man. This past weekend I botched a landing pretty good on the old wakeboard and put my arm through the rope handle when I crashed. 1/10 of a second later, I thought my left arm had been removed from my body. Upon further inspection, it was still there and thankfully not broken.
It is black and blue from my armpit to my thumb, though. And pretty sore too.
Fortunately my season never ends here and I'll be ready to go in a week or so.

east tx skier
08-31-2004, 12:32 PM
Neil, glad you're still in one piece. What kind of vest do you use? Can't say enough good things about an EVA foam vest unless you're into really good floatation.

NeilM
08-31-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the sympathy, guys. Today, I simply cannot move without extreme pain -- on my way for x-rays - I think I broke a rib.

Doug, I bought a wet tech vest a few years ago - looks like armour from the front. Reason why I bought it? Broke a rib on the slalom ski. It gives great frontal protection, but nothing on the sides (which is what hits first when wakeboarding..)

My son suggested a suit of armour with self-inflating floats when I fall. (I think he wants the new Mapple all to himself )

NeilM
08-31-2004, 03:15 PM
Oh yeah, Andre -- thanks for the laugh..

jimmer2880
08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Andre - that's just mean! When I had busted ribs - it hurt to even think about laughing! :(

(Don't take it too serious)

MarkP - if you get your but down here soon - you'll be in 80-85 deg water. It's going to start to cool off soon though. I'm off every Friday & have Couch space if you want it.

NeilM
08-31-2004, 10:39 PM
Well, it's official. Season's over for me. :( Wife, son, daughter, son's friend, and daughter's friend are out with the boat right now, while I lie down with the laptop on my lap and try not to laugh.:cry:

I Broke one, perhaps two - (x-rays don't show much) ribs on left side. This may bugger up my plans to winterize the boat myself as well -- I don't think I'll be up to being a contortionist by the time it starts dropping below freezing..

stevo137
08-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Neil, I know how you feel. I broke at least one maybe two last 3rd of July while skiing. I didn't go to the Doc because not much you can do for ribs. I feared a sneeze for about 4 weeks. Just rest up, might get out there again this season. Just don't push it when you you do.

NeilM
08-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks, Stevo... I guess I'll be cancelling my entry in the corporate 10 K I'm supposed to be running in in two weeks...

I went to the doc to get the prescription painkillers.....

stevo137
08-31-2004, 11:43 PM
It all depends on your pain. You can ride a bike to keep the cardio going and try a run when the pain subsides. Check with the doc though. I spent a lot of time in my Jacuzzi, it helped the pain. You might be able to run that race, you probably have been overtraining anyway like many good runners do. Been there, I've been running for many years. I little recovery time can't hurt before a race. Keep us posted and feel better!

Leroy
09-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Don't give up Neil, there are drugs for that and we all know how Canadian drugs are since I get about 10 emails a day on them.

Seriously, sorry to hear to news, that must have been a hard fall. Hope the recovery is quick. Next year you'll perfect that whirlybird! :toast:

jimmer2880
09-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Look on the bright side.... now you have a perscription for percocet! :dance:

Remember - 650mg is safe (Doc's usually recommend either 1 or 2 325's for rib pain). Broke 1 2 years ago on the last day of my honeymoon at turn ball 3, then 8 weeks later, broke one or 2 on the other side falling out of the back of a pickup truck - DOH! :uglyhamme

NeilM
09-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Jimmer... Ouch!

My doc just gave me Tylenol 3 for the pain and something else for the swelling... Said if I was crazy enough to be wakeboarding after work in sixty degree water, I could put up with some pain...;)

I have updated my signature, though....

Farmer Ted
09-02-2004, 08:19 AM
JohnB,

Any pointers on installing/removing your Insta-Slalom course?
My birthday present is coming early this year... :banana:

It will be here in time for the big weekend! And luckily Brad was on the ball and got a permit to get it installed on the lake we'll be at.

:woohoo:

John B
09-02-2004, 09:24 AM
You need a three man crew,a driver, one to handle the main line,and one to put the booms out.
I could tell you all the things that have happen to me on setup, but that would that forever.
I first time you setup is a leaning process. My first setup took 1 Hr. This last Monday it took 27 Min.
Ever set up is getting a little better.
The one thing that I still have problems is the booms are telescope all the way out and that the button that holds the booms is in its hole.( it happen again last week)
It is the A boom that it happens at.
After you get the course in check to make sure the turn balls are in a strait line.
GOOD LUCK,and HAVE FUN!! :banana: :D :banana:

MarkP
09-02-2004, 09:34 AM
Wow, Farmer Ted, what a present, that rocks.:banana: Looks like its going to get a little easer to work on you’re "A" game.:toast: !!

jimmer2880
09-02-2004, 10:22 AM
I live the signature... I used to use that on my email sig's before my current (which I use on this site also)....

Your doc stinks! Go back & get some Percoset... it's a fun ride!

As far as the course help goes - My buddie how also has a course, has the insta-slalom. We use a hose-reel to keep the rope on. We put the reel on a towel on top of the engine box. Shut off the boat & use the reel to move the boat down-course for the "take out".

definitely a 3-man job although 4 works better for the "put in".

Thrall
09-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I love that sig, Neil. I used that quote in a euligy (sp?) that I gave at my buddies funeral recently, as it fit him to a tee. Got a standing ovation from everyone at the wake. It speaks the truth. Too many people go through life missing alot of opportunities by being overly cautious.

east tx skier
09-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Tim, it must've been in the air yesterday. I ordered a full set of turn buoys and boat guides yesterday. We're going to use our cousin's portable course to line everything up, but it's going to be individually anchored buoys. The plan is to unhook the balls when not in use. The buoys will be in my grubby little hands tomorrow morning (couldn't wait for ground shipping).

The big obstacle right now is lilly pads. I've heard good things about "Reward." for getting rid of them. No restrictions on it as far as I know. Anybody have any experience on killing these things that could help us?

Farmer Ted
09-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Keeping with Neil's quote,

The boat was/is my 36th, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41st Birthday present

The course covers me through 42.

My 40th Anniversarry 197 will get me through to probably 55.

I'm kind of starting to like eating tuna fish sandwiches and I'm getting used to giving blood three times a week.....

Doug:
Did you order the bouys from Insta-slalom? I spoke to Lisa several times this week, very helpful and interesting to hear that they're basically a mom and pop operation. She gave me deal on some used bouys ($24) so I'm happy. No advice for lily pad removal.

NeilM
09-02-2004, 02:26 PM
The boat was/is my 36th, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41st Birthday present

The course covers me through 42.

My 40th Anniversarry 197 will get me through to probably 55.

...and you're only 29, ;)?

east tx skier
09-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Tim, no I didn't. I totally didn't think of them as an option until after I ordered. Used would've definitely worked. I checked skier to skier, but they don't sell the turn buoys (they recommend Overtons for best life). They had the best deal on boat guides with those yellow foam marker buoys. I just didn't want to start ordering from multiple sources.

Ski limited would've gotten me the best price as they had the foam boat buoys for about $6 more than skier2skier, and had the turn buoys for $2.99 each. Total would've been $105 delivered. The problem was that they didn't have the redish-orange turn buoys and I wanted something that I could see as I missed it by inches.

So I ended up paying a bit more and ordering everything from Overtons. Cost was $127 delivered (2nd day air). One thing I like about their boat guides is that they have the hold-down eyes on them already (the yellow foam ones would've required some rigging on my part.

I'm hoping by some miracle, the lilly pads are somehow not around where we want to put the course. But who knows, maybe my father in law will want to give his new prop and shaft a workout with a little chop duty.

I'll keep you posted on the progress. Please let me know how you like your insta-slalom. Knew you guys would get hooked!

ski_king
09-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Cheap Boat Bouy

http://waterskimag.com/index.jsp

MarkP
09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
DUDE is that a head? Now you guys see why I dont like the PA rivers that much

bradamerry
09-02-2004, 04:42 PM
He better get out of the damn way,the wildman is coming, now that Tim got the course I'm ready again. I will have to put the work on the boat on hold, until Tim's is ready. Heck he bought a course, surely I can keep a boat ready!

east tx skier
09-02-2004, 05:14 PM
That was my next question. You live in Louisiana. You can ski late and work later. Three months off is plenty of time to work on the boat.

bradamerry
09-02-2004, 05:19 PM
I do have other things I like to do. Sking is just a hobby for my family. Hunting season starts pretty quick and I have alot to do to get ready. And I don't want to get burned out, this is my first season back sking since about 99'.

east tx skier
09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Where/what do you hunt. I know you've talked about it before, but I've forgotten?

bradamerry
09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Ducks mainly, but I go deer hunting some and even do a little crappie fishing, when I have time! I hunt alot in south Arkansas for ducks and the rest of the time in Louisiana.

Farmer Ted
09-03-2004, 12:42 AM
when we goin on a beaver hunt?

east tx skier
09-03-2004, 10:50 AM
Very good, Brad.

Tim, my wife won't let me do that anymore.

bradamerry
09-03-2004, 01:19 PM
When we start thumbing through a Hustler! :eek: