PDA

View Full Version : Luxury Tax in a different county...HELP!!

SOCALX45
03-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Hey guys, havent been on here for awhile but I thought I would drop in and say hello! I also am wondering if this has happened to anyone..... I live in southern california in riverside county. We bought our 07 x45 brand new from california skier. 6 months ago I get in the mail a tax bill from orange county saying I owe them a luxury tax of $700.00. My boat has never even been in orange county. I have been trying to fight them and now have a tax lien on it. I have contacted several lawyers and none could really give me any advice. Orange county basically said sorry thats what you owe. I have already paid the taxes for riverside county. My next step is to drive to orange county and talk to someone in person. If anyone has any other ideas or if this has happened to you please help. Thanks!

Lumbergh
03-10-2012, 11:41 PM
That sounds like something that would happen in Cali.

They are desperate for money, that is a very aggressive state when it comes to taxes, I used to work in LA years ago.

mikeg205
03-10-2012, 11:49 PM
$700 - is the dealer in that county... you may just want to pay the tax... the main stream media in socal may not be on your side...and its a civil matter sooo you''ll be retaining the attorney...,yuck!!!

Unless, some attorney wants to do it pro bono - you'll have to represent yourself. #1 - look up the tax statute and how the tax can be levied. #2 - you'll need to meet with the assessing office...#3 - if you can afford an x-45 pay the tax, stop on the way home, get some tequila, fill the tank and go out and have some fun. For a real good time invite Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer... no pics please..... :D

SOCALX45
03-11-2012, 12:21 AM
The dealer is in riverside county so I am at a lost how they got my boat's information. I could easily afford to pay it but $700 is $700 and if I already paid the tax in riverside county I dont want to be double taxed!

1redTA
03-11-2012, 07:01 AM
if Pelosi goes out in your boat weight the front when she is sitting there and...

coz
03-11-2012, 08:27 AM
This is ridiculous, if you're in R-side W T F does OC have their nose in this? Crazy! :mad: good luck with everything. You could leave cali for az and never have to pay that tax again, we don't have it here and boat registration is only $35 a year. There's just never anything good coming outta that state anymore. :rolleyes:

CantRepeat
03-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I don't understand this. If you are not a resident of OC and the boat is not sold in OC how could a different county impose a tax. Do they collect taxes on every high dollar boat, car, airplane sold in CA?

2RLAKE
03-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I don't understand this. If you are not a resident of OC and the boat is not sold in OC how could a different county impose a tax. Do they collect taxes on every high dollar boat, car, airplane sold in CA?
... Because its California

mikeg205
03-11-2012, 11:05 AM
The dealer is in riverside county so I am at a lost how they got my boat's information. I could easily afford to pay it but $700 is $700 and if I already paid the tax in riverside county I dont want to be double taxed

funny (sad) can't find the info on the web...probably purposely... I would go down to the assessor's/collectors office and get a copy of the statute and ask for the lien release form.

If I had the means for x-45, I would fight it...for the principle of it...to shove it up their taxing a**.

If it's a tax grab - I would call Fox News and let them know... I bet it's a mistake and it's going to cost you time or $700 or more if you fight it.

But I would see how to protest the tax first to remove the lien first. My wife had our property tax reduced because my county charged way too much for our home... took 6 months but it got done...

Going forward, it's one of the reason's I will never buy a new MC. The thought of paying $5,000 or more to our corrupt gov't - makes me puke. I don't mind paying taxes but I hate when it's wasted...BTW or ex-governor going to prison this coming thursday...

SOCALX45
03-11-2012, 11:56 AM
This is ridiculous, if you're in R-side W T F does OC have their nose in this? Crazy! :mad: good luck with everything. You could leave cali for az and never have to pay that tax again, we don't have it here and boat registration is only $35 a year. There's just never anything good coming outta that state anymore. :rolleyes:

We actually registered it in AZ this year. We said screw cali because of this.

mikeg205
03-11-2012, 12:11 PM

California, Illinois... must be the water.....

CantRepeat
03-11-2012, 12:17 PM
We actually registered it in AZ this year. We said screw cali because of this.

I believe, that if you get stop on a CA water way with AZ reg numbers and they find out you're a resident of CA you will get fined. :confused:

Table Rocker
03-11-2012, 12:43 PM
The only thing I can think of is, does the dealership have their main office in Orange County? I can't see any other way Orange County would even get their hands on the info.

I would enlist the dealership to help out. I'm sure they have seen similar instances before.

medicmoose
03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
That sounds like something that would happen in Cali.

Sounds like something you would only see in the game of Monopoly...sounds a little goofy!

gweaver
03-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Don't know if this helps much- deals with small business taxes and all but:

Q. My business is being billed by Orange County and another County and I would like to know why?

A. In this situation, the Treasurer-Tax Collector's office must refer you to the County Assessor's office. The County Assessor is the only Department that can determine tax liability. If you were not in business in Orange County on January 1 (lien date), then you may want to provide the Assessor some type of proof, such as a copy of the tax bill from the other county, cancellation of a lease agreement and/or the closing electric or telephone bill. You can reach the Assessor's office at (714) 834-2727 or view the Assessor's website at http://www.oc.ca.gov/assessor.

Maybe showing them a copy of the bill from Riverside showing you paid tax on the boat will be enough. Have you asked the dealership you bought the boat from? Seems like they would have had to submit paperwork to the county in order for the county to find out the boat was sold. Maybe the dealer screwed up and sent a copy to each county? Would seem like the dealer should be able to help out.

G

CantRepeat
03-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Q. My business is being billed by Orange County and another County and I would like to know why?

A. In this situation, the Treasurer-Tax Collector's office must refer you to the County Assessor's office. The County Assessor is the only Department that can determine tax liability. If you were not in business in Orange County on January 1 (lien date), then you may want to provide the Assessor some type of proof, such as a copy of the tax bill from the other county, cancellation of a lease agreement and/or the closing electric or telephone bill. You can reach the Assessor's office at (714) 834-2727 or view the Assessor's website at http://www.oc.ca.gov/assessor.

Maybe showing them a copy of the bill from Riverside showing you paid tax on the boat will be enough. Have you asked the dealership you bought the boat from? Seems like they would have had to submit paperwork to the county in order for the county to find out the boat was sold. Maybe the dealer screwed up and sent a copy to each county? Would seem like the dealer should be able to help out.

G

Nice find!!! I just do not see where OC has a legal right to tax an LA count resident.

mikeg205
03-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Nice find!!! I just do not see where OC has a legal right to tax an LA count resident.

cuz it's california silly....:D :D :D :D

CantRepeat
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
cuz it's california silly....:D :D :D :D

I get the tongue and cheek that's going on here but this is really a bummer. :mad:

mikeg205
03-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I get the tongue and cheek that's going on here but this is really a bummer. :mad:

I live in illinois...and I am as ticked off about tax in Illinois as well...at least you don't have 2 governors in jail...number 2 going this thursday.

Current governor taking federal funds and not paying promises to school district...can go on and on...just like you in CA. :mad:

Sodar
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I believe, that if you get stop on a CA water way with AZ reg numbers and they find out you're a resident of CA you will get fined. :confused:

Nope. You are fine. AZ registration is perfectly legal, if you use the boat primarily in AZ and store it there. My outboard is registered in AZ. You just need to be sure the trailer is registered in California, if you ever bring the boat home. The CHP does not like it when you have a Cali driver's license and have an out of state plate.

As for the County luxury tax...

The tax is based off the location the boat is stored. Somehow the county got info that the boat was stored in OC. Typically, a few months before the taxes are due, the county sends out a letter asking the location of the boat. I always say that my boat it is stored in Arizona (true). They respond with a letter asking for the address of storage unit. I respond, they then send a request for AZ registration (which I don't have). They wait a few months and finally send me the tax bill. My method does nothing more than delay the whole process, but it makes me feel better that they are working to get my money. Been doing it for 4 years now.

I'd haul my butt to OC and provide them your Riverside County tax bill. I'd also proceed to inform them that they should take their tax bill and ram it up where the sun don't shine.

Luxury tax... what a load of sh!t!!!!!

medicmoose
03-12-2012, 07:14 AM
I live in illinois...and I am as ticked off about tax in Illinois as well...at least you don't have 2 governors in jail...number 2 going this thursday.

Current governor taking federal funds and not paying promises to school district...can go on and on...just like you in CA. :mad:

Isn't that in the job description of a politician these days??

CantRepeat
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Nope. You are fine. AZ registration is perfectly legal, if you use the boat primarily in AZ and store it there. My outboard is registered in AZ. You just need to be sure the trailer is registered in California, if you ever bring the boat home. The CHP does not like it when you have a Cali driver's license and have an out of state plate.

You are correct. You even get 120 day grace period upon moving to CA:

Vessels previously registered in other states must be registered in California within 120 days of being brought into the state, if it will be used upon California waterways the majority of the time.

SKADMAN
03-13-2012, 05:49 AM

G

Had to do this with Fresno County (where dealer was located). It took a few phone calls, waiting for a form in the mail and returning it, a copy of my San Joaquin bill and registration. In the end the dealership was the cause. I just hounded the Fresno County Assessor's office until I was talking to someone who knew what I was talking about and how to fix it. PITA for sure. Cheers!

SOCALX45
03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah we are going down to OC this week. We did contact California skier and they said they had never heard of this happening. They said the paper work was sent to the right county. So we will see what driving down to OC will solve!

SOCALX45
03-14-2012, 03:57 PM
So I talked to someone today in orange county. I called to get directions. I talked to someone who shed some more light on this. I accused the county of just picking random information and sending a tax bill out. The lady said no sir someone spotted your boat in the harbor. I said who. She told me she couldn't say but it was spotted in the harbor. I laughed and said my boat has never been in salt water and never been in orange county. I asked her if that even makes sense. So if someone did see my boat was it wanted in the county for failure to pay taxes??? Out of all the boats how did someone decide to take down my info and say wait a minute that boat was never taxed in this county??? And I have had my boat in lake mead, lake powell, lake havasu, do I owe all those counties taxes as well??? Its a freakin joke. She just again said im sorry sir that is all the info I have. I think they know they made a mistake and dont want to own up to it. I think I need to go to the lake and release some stress:mad:!!!

CantRepeat
03-14-2012, 04:05 PM
So do you still have to go down there to clear it up?

And is the idea behind this that if you use your boat in an OC waterway you must pay them taxes?

Sodar
03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Like I said, taxes are based on the place of storage. They definitely screwed up. I do know that they go through the marina and write down CF numbers, so they make sure they are getting the tax revenue. They probably found a CF number similar to yours' and entered it incorrectly.

CantRepeat
03-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Like I said, taxes are based on the place of storage. They definitely screwed up. I do know that they go through the marina and write down CF numbers, so they make sure they are getting the tax revenue. They probably found a CF number similar to yours' and entered it incorrectly.

I didn't know that. So if you rent a slip for your boat in a harbor they will tax you? You're folks have a boat slip in OC right?

onewheat
03-23-2012, 01:00 AM
Like I said, taxes are based on the place of storage.

That is f-ed up! So because you park your boat in a county, you owe them tax on it? That is some serious BS. This place gets to be more FUBAR all the time. I'm not sure why that pisses me off so much, but it totally does. I'm not even near CA. :mad:

AZX9
03-23-2012, 01:23 AM

As for the County luxury tax...

The tax is based off the location the boat is stored. Somehow the county got info that the boat was stored in OC. Typically, a few months before the taxes are due, the county sends out a letter asking the location of the boat. I always say that my boat it is stored in Arizona (true). They respond with a letter asking for the address of storage unit. I respond, they then send a request for AZ registration (which I don't have). They wait a few months and finally send me the tax bill. My method does nothing more than delay the whole process, but it makes me feel better that they are working to get my money. Been doing it for 4 years now.

I'd haul my butt to OC and provide them your Riverside County tax bill. I'd also proceed to inform them that they should take their tax bill and ram it up where the sun don't shine.

Luxury tax... what a load of sh!t!!!!!

Sodar, where do you store your boat? I'm going to be moving mine out soon and I want a good low cost option. Last place I had was at b&b right off of golf club lane by the golf course. It's too much space and money. Thinking of using The Sandbar resort.

Sodar
03-23-2012, 09:16 AM
I store my MC down in Ehrenberg. It's a great place for me, because I use it in the Blythe Area, but I can easily pick it up on my way to Parker. I don't do Havasu with my boat.

AZX9
03-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Whatcha got against Havasu. I mostly go to Parker on a regular basis and Havasu on big holidays. What do you like about Ehrenburg over Parker other than being closer to home?

CantRepeat
03-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Whatcha got against Havasu. I mostly go to Parker on a regular basis and Havasu on big holidays. What do you like about Ehrenburg over Parker other than being closer to home?

lol, on a holiday weekend, havazoo!

AZX9
03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Nothing better! Get out early, people watch the crazies, the unskilled boaters, the topless, the cool MC's & Malibus, fast boats, uncle whoevers piece of crap that won't start at the ramp, the music that didnt run your battery down, the drunks making a fool of themselves, pasties, the sand bar (closed on holidays), the run to topock gorge and moabi park, pasties again, and the best part of the day is at the end. Pullout a little early, wipe down the boat, grab a beer and watch the drunks getting their boats back on the trailers with the other few hundred hecklers also watching. Yup, nothing better. Wouldn't miss it for anything.

CantRepeat
03-23-2012, 09:25 PM
The last best thing to do was to sit in the canal near the Nautical watching all the crazies run up and down by the bridge. Short of that trying not to get caught up in CC.

Sodar
03-24-2012, 01:10 AM

I do Havasu, just not with my boat. My best friend/"brother from another mother" has a place out there that we frequent pretty often. I personally use my boat to get towed behind. Weird, but I like to ski all day long when I have the boat out. It all stems from growing up having a house on a private lake in Barstow. I like to ski, board and screw around. I can drink and watch trashy girls from my front porch back home! Around the Ehrenberg area is only one stretch of the river that I have found that allows me to enjoy watersports like I used to at our lake house. Down there, you can ski all day long on a holiday weekend.

Parker is cool and probably my most visited spot because there is always someone to stay with there. I have a bunch of friends with places there, but it just ain't my paradise.

AZX9
03-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Down there, you can ski all day long on a holiday weekend.

Is It that there is just no traffic or boats on the water? Like you are there by your self? Any businesses or just raw un developed river in the desert.