PDA

View Full Version : Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Anyone Been There?

h2oskiluvr
03-10-2012, 07:54 PM
My wife and I are going to to Sandals Montego Bay. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for daytime activities. There is a lot of information out there about Dunn's River Falls and I am also interested in the dolphin encounter thing. I am just not sure if they are worth it.

Fast50dad
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Got back from Negril 3 weeks ago, best vacation and beach we've ever had. Took our 7 year old boy. We did Beaches which is the family Sandals, the Sandals is three hotels to the north. Wakeboarded behind a 99 ProStar 209 everyday. I know the immigration took 2.5 hours (usually 1 hour), Negril was an hour by bus, but worth it. Rick's Cafe at sunset was awesome. Cliff jumpers doing flips from 80' was unreal. Bring ones, not fives...they'll get ya. We will do Negril again! Nice thing about Montego Bay, is it is where the airport is so no commute. Negril's beach is tough to beat.

JulioX2
03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I was at the Iberostar in Montego bay a few years back. Like Fastdad said, Ricks cafe is a must if you go to Jamaica. Unbelievable sunsets, cliff diving, and if you time it right they do have concerts.. Another thing you might want to check out is Martha's cayes. That's the river ride in the bamboo rafts. It's pretty neat, the boat operators usually carve up a coconut you can buy as a momento. There's also golfing and whatnot, just depends on what kind of activities you plan on doing...

cf_koch
03-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Wife and I went there in the late 80s. It was a great relaxing vacation. Got to ski every day behind a CC. I got to know the boat driver and he took me to a "secret place" where I got to siki on some glass on a river.

Did the Dunn River thing but was extremely crowded 'cause a cruise ship had just come in.

Fast50dad
03-11-2012, 10:05 AM
We also zip lined, I believe this is the site: http://www.chukkacaribbean.com/MontegoBay/tourDetails.php?Zipline-Canopy-Tour-38&lang=eng

Never done it before and had a blast. The guides were a stand up comedy routine as they attached you to the line. A lot of fun, they speak of Jamaican history, their culture, and language. I wanted to stay and be a beach bum, totally glad I went!

h2oskifreak
03-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Jamaica is beautiful, but I did not feel safe there. In the last 3 years I have gone to Mexico twice, Barbados, Jamaica, Costa Rica and Turks. I felt the least safe in Jamaica of all the places including Mexico. PAY ATTENTION when you are out of the resort propery, especially at night. Great beach and resort, but say with a group when venturing out. Blue Mountian coffee is awsome and if you are acoffee drinker plan on bringing a few 5lb. bags back.

2RLAKE
03-11-2012, 11:04 AM
I was there 20 years ago ... Went to Dunns river, scuba diving, snorkeling and sailing ... We had a blast ... 20 years ago seems like a long time doesn't it

snork
03-11-2012, 11:23 AM
+1 for the Jamaican Blue Mountain, got to be the best coffee eva and yes I'll accept a 5lb bag just leave the ganja there in Jamaica

h2oskifreak
03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
+1 for the Jamaican Blue Mountain, got to be the best coffee eva and yes I'll accept a 5lb bag just leave the ganja there in Jamaica

Golden Triangle Coffee from Central America is pretty close, but I will give it to Blue Mtn.

Shooter McKevin
03-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I leave for Hilton Montego Bay next week for a wedding, about 60 of us going:headbang::headbang:.

Sandals Montego Bay should have an MC, no?? That would be my #1 daily activity, #2 cruising on a Hobie Cat #3 Appletons. Here's a similar thread. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26339

I was at Riu Negril in 2004. And have to give a +1 for everything skifreak said.

Example: We did the Dunns Falls tour and wished we hadn't. The bus left very early before breakfast was open at the resort (coincidence?), then headed straight to a convenience store that was in the middle of no where. Prices were more than double anything we had seen on the island including the gift shop. Bought a coffee and muffin and they short changed me. When i pointed it out, a bigger guy came over and intentionally mis-counted the change so I would get the hint. We made the best of the day cause we were with some good friends, but many other aspects added up to a day that would have been better spent at the resort.

A lot of people love Jamaica, so I'm hoping we just booked the falls trip with a bad tour company. I'm excited to give it another chance. We probably wouldn't have gone back to Jamaica if not for the wedding, so I'm hoping for redemption.

Fast50dad
03-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Mmmmmm....Appleton's rum. Another thing I'd do is get a bottle of choice and bring with. My wife likes white Zin and they only offered Merlot and Cab. I could buy it for $20 a liter at the gift shop. I had a good bartender that I talked into selling me the bottle from the fine dining restaurant for $10 and a $5 tip. Yes it was all inclusive, but not the white Zin. Found a work around and momma was happy. They will bend over backwards when you great them nightly with a good hearty handshake with a $5 bill inside. Funny how we got drinks even though the bar was 2 and 3 people deep! I did the same with the beach staff.