PDA

View Full Version : Issue from Late last fall....

Mgboyd25
03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
So late last October I decided to take my 2004 X7 with just under 500 hours out for a day on the River. Everything was going great. We filled the boat up and put the boat in the water. My buddy took the first barefoot set. He took a few runs, enough to get the boat all the way to the end of one end of the river we ski on. It was my turn so I got all suited up. Then........ my buddy trys to start the boat but it would not turn over completely. The fuel pump would kick on and the boat would begin to turn over but not fire and start up. We tried this a few times, checked the lanyard, and the throttle to make sure it was in neutral. Everything was where it was supposed to be but the boat would just not turn over. After being towed back to the dock and towing the boat home I hooked the boat up to the "fake lake" to see if she would turn over.... and she did.
The boat had no problem running even when the thermostat opened up. I ended up just winterizing the boat with the idea to deal with it in the spring..
Well now the spring is quickly approaching and after reading a few other various threads my best guess is that the fuel pump is going dead but Im not sure. My plan as of right now is to put it in at the lake by my house (with a buddy who will have an extra boat to tow me back) and run the boat checking the fuel pressure as the pump is heated up by use.
My question.... does anyone have any other idea of what they think my problem may be or any other ideas of what I should do.....
Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

willyt
03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
did you check your voltage? could be an alternator if you didnt have enough cranking amps...

but certainly sounds like a fuel pump.

Chester
03-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I had the same problem last year with my old 209. The pump would sound but have variable pressure at the rail. The in tank carter fuel pump is known for crapping out like you described. Fine one minute nothing the next. Apparently the ethanol in the fuel is a primary reason. Try a manual gage on the fuel rail and that should rule in or out the pump. My indmar ltr needs ?55/70 psi is a remember what the mechanic said and it was only receiving variable pressures. For me it was a 850$ trip to school. Good luck

76S&S
03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Then........ my buddy trys to start the boat but it would not turn over completely.

Not turning over doesn't sound like a fuel pump to me. Is it acting like vapor lock and have you checked the ground?

snork
03-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Go to your local AutoZone pic up a Fuel Pressure gauge kit to hookup to the fuel rail and check your pressure also disconnect the power supply to the fuel pump and then reconnect, could be a faulty connection. How many hrs on the boat 300-350?

ntidsl
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Don't throw money away! Do your tests! If you cannot do the tests, take it to the dealer now and have them do a diagnostic test and you'll be set. Guessing at the cause based on reading forums can caost you alot of money.

carlsonwa
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
How about the starter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02ProstarSammyD
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
check fuel pressure and voltage. From there you can move on up the diagnosis tree. Spark and fuel....spark and fuel

Jeff d
03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I think you need to elaborate on what you mean by "turn over"".

Typically if the starter is spinning and the engine's rotating assembly is spinning that's considered "turning over" even if it doesn't actually start. Was this happening when you turned the key?

When you say it wasn't "turning over completely" does that mean that the starter was attempting to "turn over" the engine but was unsuccessful or insufficiently fast?

If the above is true and it's not turning over or not turning over fast enough you likely don't have any fuel system issues and either had/have and electrical problem or a starter/solenoid problem.

Mgboyd25
03-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone
, I think that there is also a chance that it may be an electrical issue as well. Gives me a few more things that may have caused the issue.
What exactly is Vapor Lock? Can you get that on a fuel injected motor?

JohnE
03-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Sounds like fuel pump to me. But I wouldn't replace it without being positive.

mtajpa
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Assuming that the engine is turning over. If you find that the fuel pressure seems good follow the wiring from the fuel pump connection back towards the main harness. You should find another connector that connects the "pump Harness" to the main harness. These have a tendency to make intermittent connections after the pump has been running. If this connector is getting hot when the pump and engine are running I would replace it. I had this problem on my Maristar. Replaced the connector and have had no problems since. I think the new harness was about 35 bucks. Two connectors and 12 inches of wire. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.