PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth?

johnlanguab
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
So, I have this bad habit of buying boats that need attention. I've come across the following:

2001 19 Skier w/ TBI 350
Exposed to saltwater use
Oxidized gelcoat
Bottom Paint
Afermarket trailer
Decals missing
Rear bench missing

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/johnlang/cockpit.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/johnlang/bow.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/johnlang/starboard.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/johnlang/stern.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/johnlang/engine.jpg

At what price point would this project become compelling?

johnlanguab
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Too, it has approximately 450 hours.

mattb
03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
That design looks exactly like my '95 pro star. Are you sure it's a 2001? Am I missing something?

johnlanguab
03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I read somewhere that the old prostar hull turned into a powerstar until 99, then the 19 skier until maybe 2003.

02ProstarSammyD
03-06-2012, 05:56 PM
mechanical condition? To me I don't know when that really becomes appealing since I don't know how it runs. If it runs like crap I wouldn't give them squat for it unless you want to empty every pocket for someone to fix her up or spend awhile doing it yourself. If it runs fantastic youve got a good 2 grand+ in upholstry work there at min if you do it yourself just for the vinyl (just a guesstimate since I've only dealt with larger boats).

Also what are your goals? Are you looking to turn it into a mint boat or have something cheap that will run the lake for a few years?

They prob tore the gel to crap to get the paint to stay so you are looking at either leaving it that way or having some serious gelwork done. Throw a few more grand into that. Another option would have it wrapped which would be good for a few years but again........its a few grand.

The great news with a fixer uppper though is you can assume everything is shot and end up with a ton of new on an 11 year old boat. If I remember right the vinyl from those years was crap anyways. Atleast my 02 is

PS not sure I'd call that a trailer

mikeg205
03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
darn shame...what happened to original trailer?

I would check under the floor for damage, alignment issues...cracks in manifold...etc.

I bet they never changed the fluid in the tranny...if its in that condition.

Price point for me...$3500...no more than that...at least you could sell off the windshield and other parts if the motor and tranny are toast.

jk13
03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Here's what I did with my boat that didn't need anywhere near that much work...

Figure out how far you want to go with fixing it up and what you could sell it for when it is at that point. Then subtract what would need to get it there, including "unforeseens" like the motor and trans if you can't water test it before purchase. Those boats in near perfect condition are on OI for 15-18k. This one will never be perfect, so let's put it around 11-12k once it's done.
-2500-5000 for a new or used trailer
-1500-2500 new interior hopefully including a new back seat
-1000-3000 gel coat work (optional) I wet sanded and buffed mine for about 250 in materials and a ton of time.

Prop? Cover? Engine and trans? Tune up parts? Guages?

Looks like it could go either way. If you are serious about it, get all the info, a water test, and if needed a mechanic to look it over. It really depends on how resourceful you are at finding problems and parts, and how much you can do yourself or with cheap labor.

mikeg205
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
That motor scares me....this one is 17 years old...and has 562 hours on it...

19_Skier
03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
That design looks exactly like my '95 pro star. Are you sure it's a 2001? Am I missing something?

That's exactly what the 19Skier is - a 95-97 prostar hull built in 2001 and 2002.

Shame to see that one in such bad shape. Certainly looks like a lot of work to restore...

johnlanguab
03-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm afraid it may be too much for me to bite off right now. I was considering flipping it, but I don't want to get in over my head.

MIskier
03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
There is one problem with that boat that will be harder to fix than all the others. If that boat has been sitting on that trailer for a prolonged period of time there is going to be all kinds of hooks and depressions in the hull that would need to be filled and faired to have a true hull.

If you can pick it for 2-3k I would still do it...if you have the time and resources to devote to the boat.

02ProstarSammyD
03-06-2012, 11:49 PM
John let me know if he only wants a few K. I'll have an empty spot in the garage this summer and need another project. Think my 209 is about done

dfmaus
03-07-2012, 03:15 AM
What is up with that trailer? Those are some funky rollers in the rear

Thrall
03-07-2012, 03:31 AM
So, I have this bad habit of buying boats that need attention.

Well that one needs attention!:rolleyes:

Yuck

Shooter McKevin
03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I'd say it's max value is about $16,000 fully restored with proper MC trailer. What are they asking for it? If the engine is okay it may not be as bad as it looks. Is the vinyl shot or do you think it can be cleaned? Purchase price would obviously be the key. $2000 would probably be my number.

Lumbergh
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Do you have ALOT of time and the $8-10k to bring it back?

I agree with others, there is ALOT if work for something that may never come back.

Sad to see someone destroy a nice boat like that.

There is a difference between freshening up and tuning up someone's neglect and what that appears to have become.

02ProstarSammyD
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm with everyone else........1500-2k max and thats depending on mechanical. The good thing with this boat is you could literally throw half of the boat away without having to worry about it haha. Was this a craigslist ad or something? I'd really like to talk to the owner

johnlanguab
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
02ProstarSammyD,

I sent you a PM.

lettmeknow
03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
In a " realistic" market that boat in good condition will max out at about 12K. Maybe someone who really wants it will pay more. They only reason to buy would be a for a project that you would enjoy doing. I would have to be paid to take it. ;)

D3skier
03-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm with everyone else........1500-2k max and thats depending on mechanical. The good thing with this boat is you could literally throw half of the boat away without having to worry about it haha. Was this a craigslist ad or something? I'd really like to talk to the owner

PM at ya SammyD I'd like to follow next if you don't have an interest

02ProstarSammyD
03-09-2012, 03:57 PM
I'll keep yall updated. He has it listed at 6k. I literally spit out my coffee when I saw that. We'll see if he has any commons sense or he can just let it sit there for another 5 years.

19_Skier
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
I'll keep yall updated. He has it listed at 6k. I literally spit out my coffee when I saw that. We'll see if he has any commons sense or he can just let it sit there for another 5 years.

Whoa!...good luck, sure would be nice to see someone take this boat and bring it back to life but definitely not worth it at that price tag.

aarosurf
03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I wonder if he even bothered rinsing it down with a hose before listing it? That thing is dirty.

east tx skier
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM
$3000

02ProstarSammyD
03-09-2012, 07:44 PM
He said 4k. I said 2000 as is or 1500 and he could keep the trailer. I doubt he'll take it but shall see. I tried to expain that the boat itself wouldn't equal out with the work to one in good condition. Who knows.

02ProstarSammyD
03-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Yea they came back with a no on the offer. If I was them I would just part it out at that point

learjet2230
03-09-2012, 09:11 PM

thats comical!

dade61782
03-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Send them a link to this thread, some (me included) would take this as a project for 2 to 2.5 thousand, some wouldn't take it for free. Maybe it will help bring the situation into prospective.

02ProstarSammyD
03-10-2012, 12:05 AM
I broke down the cost line item for line item of what I could see being done. I figure either its someone who just let it go to hell and has lost his butt or its someone trying to flip a turd.

D3skier
03-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Send them a link to this thread, some (me included) would take this as a project for 2 to 2.5 thousand, some wouldn't take it for free. Maybe it will help bring the situation into prospective.

I've emailed the guy now and waiting for a response from him. Anyone in the AL region that could go look at the boat so we have a true perspective on the condition of the boat? I'm about 8 hours away unless I can get him to take it to my MC dealer in SC which I don't see happening unless there's money on the table and probably more than 4k

mikeg205
03-10-2012, 12:15 PM
uh...zoom in on the pictures...this boat flooded...there is a ring around carpet all at the same level. With that waterline...water in transmission! and most likely trashed alternator(housing is rusted) and starter. The bottom of the flyweel and damper plate probably have ton of rust on them. Is that mud on the water hoses?

The motor has a lot of dirt as well. It's salvage at best...I am sure they repainted the bottom due to gel damage...and if this trailer has been used I can only imagine what the roller damage was to the hull. What is the paint hiding....

Only good thing I see is location...no freeze damage...;)

dade61782
03-10-2012, 12:27 PM
To me the bottom paint looks like anti-fouling paint, which may be why the mismatched trailer. Maybe it was kept in the water. Good eye on the water ring I never noticed it, the list keeps growing and the price keeps dropping

D3skier
03-11-2012, 11:43 PM
got an email response from him today tried to call him but no answer... waiting for a call back

D3skier
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
spoke with the guy tonight... scheduling to have it taken in and have everything checked out if everything looks good it's a done deal

DemolitionMan
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
spoke with the guy tonight... scheduling to have it taken in and have everything checked out if everything looks good it's a done deal

Good to hear.

mikeg205
03-12-2012, 11:44 PM

define "good deal"...please..

D3skier
03-13-2012, 12:09 AM
define "good deal"...please..

until the deal is finalized I'm keeping my mouth shut... but honestly a "good deal" is what ever someone deems they got more than what they paid for.

bturner2
03-13-2012, 08:10 AM
A boat history check might not be a bad idea also.....

http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

aquaman
03-13-2012, 09:35 AM
until the deal is finalized I'm keeping my mouth shut... but honestly a "good deal" is what ever someone deems they got more than what they paid for.

The seller is getting a GREAT Deal if anyone buys this boat.

19_Skier
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM

good luck. That sure is a large undertaking to restore.

02ProstarSammyD
03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Be careful man. The only reason I was interested is b/c I have a year to let it sit in the garage and get worked on. If you are looking to use this thing I honestly feel like its a lost cause for awhile. I could be horribly wrong but don't underestimate the time/money this thing is going to need to be a ski boat again

D3skier
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
good luck. That sure is a large undertaking to restore.

not sure how far I'm going to take a restore on this but one thing is for sure... need to find the right trailer and put in star gazer

broncotw
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
What a shame to see a boat in this condition.... I cannot believe someone would let a boat dilapidate like that!

mikeg205
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I would go with this if I had the time..... http://www.crashedtoys.com/ImageViewer.asp?StockNumber=581095

wonder what it will auction for when it starts.

or you can say...this one is not so bad...compared to this...

http://www.crashedtoys.com/ImageViewer.asp?StockNumber=647483

just sayin'

aquaman
03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Be careful man. The only reason I was interested is b/c I have a year to let it sit in the garage and get worked on. If you are looking to use this thing I honestly feel like its a lost cause for awhile. I could be horribly wrong but don't underestimate the time/money this thing is going to need to be a ski boat again

i think you are correct. this boat is closer to salvage than rehabilitation.
i would agree that boat has been underwater.

DemolitionMan
03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
If the motor and tranny are ok it maybe worth it.

02ProstarSammyD
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
or you can say...this one is not so bad...compared to this...

http://www.crashedtoys.com/ImageView...kNumber=647483

its still good! Tower looks to be ok. Guess the bu guys weren't bs'n about the strength of their towers haha

This one is interesting though

http://www.crashedtoys.com/ImageViewer.asp?StockNumber=605674

Bouyhead
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
not sure how far I'm going to take a restore on this but one thing is for sure... need to find the right trailer and put in star gazer

Glad to see you got your priorities in order:D

Seriously, that looks like a fun project. Hope you get a good deal.

D3skier
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Glad to see you got your priorities in order:D

Seriously, that looks like a fun project. Hope you get a good deal.

star gazer or perfect pass not sure which one yet...but this is a definite must have biggest challenge is going to be finding the right trailer for this thing at a "good price". (ha ha ha)

wish I could just buy this one and be done with it....
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/2884276894.html

D3skier
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
well, boat is at dealer to be checked out. Got the hull # to check free report but comes up with wants to charge 34.95.... so much for free should know something by the end of the week.

D3skier
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, results are in....after an inspection from the MC dealer in the area compression on the engine is good 170-175 on all cylinders but now the bad.... temp gauge not working, fuel gauge not working, battery terminal/cable corroded, interior has serious mildew and mold throughout, condensation in transmission fluid, a few soft spots in floor, and the biggest issue I for see is the bottom paint. They were unable to tell if there was any osmosis due to how rough the bottom paint was and spoke with a fiberglass shop and said it would be upwards of $5,000 to remove and repair/refinish.

mikeg205
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
As I posted before - $3500 and it's worth it...might be able to try the resto or sell engine/tranny and other parts...some paint stripper applied gingerly, some careful aggressive sanding and then resto on the hull might have something....

D3skier
03-25-2012, 05:15 PM
As I posted before - $3500 and it's worth it...might be able to try the resto or sell engine/tranny and other parts...some paint stripper applied gingerly, some careful aggressive sanding and then resto on the hull might have something....

offered him quite a bit less than that and will have an answer by late tomorrow or Tuesday now just have to figure out how to come up with the $$$$$$

AZX9
03-26-2012, 01:42 AM
Glutton for punishment?

Jerseydave
03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
INHO, if you're going to get into a project boat, find one that's a bit more special and desirable.

For example, 84-86 skier, 90 prostar Limited, 91-94 prostar, any beat-up 197.
I wouldn't waste my time on a Sportstar that needs $8K in repairs (or more)plus another $3K-4K for a trailer. :rolleyes:

aquaman
03-26-2012, 09:58 AM
INHO, if you're going to get into a project boat, find one that's a bit more special and desirable.

For example, 84-86 skier, 90 prostar Limited, 91-94 prostar, any beat-up 197.
I wouldn't waste my time on a Sportstar that needs $8K in repairs (or more)plus another $3K-4K for a trailer. :rolleyes:

agreed.....this boat is salvage material.

there are plenty of deserving MasterCrafts that need restoration.

let this one go.

D3skier
03-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm not so much looking for a project boat but something to get me back on the water and skiing again. still really contemplating if I really want to do this or not.

Whisky
03-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Have restored some Boston Whalers in the past. I agree with some of the other MCers that this boat is meant to be laid to rest. There are many other projects out there.

DooSPX
03-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Every MasterCraft deserves a second chance IMO. While there are more desirable ones out there such as a old S&S, 90 Limited, any 91-94 (especially 93 S&S and Limited), it is still a great boat (skiing wise). You would have to get the seller down to a realistic price for that to ever happen though.

T Scott
03-26-2012, 10:52 AM
There has been a Sportstar on Orlando Craigslist for months at the $8000 price point. To me, if you are looking for a sportstar, buy one like this and skip the project. You'll be in it for the same money.

Stx221
03-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not so much looking for a project boat but something to get me back on the water and skiing again. still really contemplating if I really want to do this or not.

If you just want to get on the water and skiing again, from a newbie point of view, wouldn't it be better to buy something that is a little closer to being "ready to go"?

I can understand picking this up if you want to bring it back to life and that would be the enjoyable process for you.

D3skier
03-26-2012, 11:00 AM
There has been a Sportstar on Orlando Craigslist for months at the $8000 price point. To me, if you are looking for a sportstar, buy one like this and skip the project. You'll be in it for the same money.

do you have a link to it?

think I found it...

D3skier
03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
ok this turned interesting today.... and very possibly going to get even more intense possibly.

first off.... when I initially contacted the buyer regarding this boat I had a lot of concerns about the overall condition of the boat and made a pending offer of $3000 if everything checks out. He called me and asked if I'd be willing to split the cost if everything checks out at the dealer and I agreed. After speaking with James at Rambo marine about the boat he found quite a bit wrong with it overall. Though the engine did check out with compression in all 8 cylinders from 170-175 there are multitudes of other issues. Starting with, fuel gauge not working, temp gauge not working, several soft spots in the floor, condensation in the trans fluid, battery terminals severely corroded, wrong trailer, bottom paint, etc, etc.
Called seller back and said if you deliver it to Anderson SC the most I'd be willing to go would be $2500 seller stated would need to talk to brother and would get back to me.

got a text message from him Tue morning stating exactly "Been discussing things with my brother. We can't deliver for 2500. We can let you have it for that price but you would have to arrange pickup"

I replied: "Thanks but think I'll pass.... found a 98 19 skier for only 8000 in great condition and 500 hours"

needless to say here's where it gets interesting..... He called me didn't even remember my name then starts to rip me a new A hole for not going through with the deal. I told him it didn't check out and hence the cheaper offer but you refused. (not my problem) told him even with everything that was discovered this was more than a fair offer. Then hung up during the bickering.

should be interesting to see if this moron decides to create an account and add to this debacle of a boat.

special thanks to T Scott for mentioning the 98 in Florida saved me from going forward with this

mikeg205
03-27-2012, 10:20 PM
good for you -- too bad for that boat....

Lumbergh
03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
You got further than I would have.

A belligerent seller = run!

Ironhorse
03-28-2012, 03:58 PM
D3 - I have been following these posts and would like to see the new boat when you pick it up.

As Lumbergh put it, you got further than I would have as well.

With the number of boat owners on here, he just limited the number of people that would deal with him.

D3skier
03-28-2012, 04:09 PM
D3 - I have been following these posts and would like to see the new boat when you pick it up.

As Lumbergh put it, you got further than I would have as well.

With the number of boat owners on here, he just limited the number of people that would deal with him.

here's the link to the other boat T Scott found... but too much for my budget right now so back to where I started with no boat. :purplaughWould be more than happy to take donations to be able to get this one and back on the water.
:purplaugh

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2922069401.html

vrsc
03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
here's the link to the other boat T Scott found... but too much for my budget right now so back to where I started with no boat. :purplaughWould be more than happy to take donations to be able to get this one and back on the water.
:purplaugh

http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2922069401.html

IMHO, I'd stay away from that boat unless you offer him much much less. There are plenty other better boats around.

D3skier
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
after what transpired the other day it's done. The only reason I was considering it was because I figured it would a very inexpensive boat BUT still a ski boat with an excellent wake with no payments and can do cosmetic upgrades and replace the trailer as more money was available but this guy is just flat out unreasonable and a real moron. He blew the deal over a simple thing as driving the boat 3-4 hours away to my MC dealer in Anderson SC then because I refused to pay for 1/2 the diagnostics on the boat because everything DIDN'T check out as we agreed and to buy the boat.

OMG... I'm just rambling on now... must be time for bed

D3skier
04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
looks like he relisted the boat again a little more reasonable price but remember I had him down to 2500 if I picked it up

http://gadsden.craigslist.org/boa/2938218057.html

pram
04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
That motor scares me....this one is 17 years old...and has 562 hours on it...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=76052&stc=1&d=1331077517

what's with the pylon condom?

Don't like anyone handling your post and rope?

cbryan70
04-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Pram that goes on before the flyhigh pole to prevent it from turning i beleive

cbryan70
04-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Its kind of like your rash guard on your calf :-) wuss

Shooter McKevin
04-13-2012, 01:04 PM
looks like he relisted the boat again a little more reasonable price but remember I had him down to 2500 if I picked it up

By being able to put the good results from the compression test (that he didn't want to pay for) in his ad, he will likely make the money back. The result may be a win win for you and the seller.

pram
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
hey, did you even get up on a ski that weekend there pal?

D3skier
04-13-2012, 01:11 PM
By being able to put the good results from the compression test (that he didn't want to pay for) in his ad, he will likely make the money back. The result may be a win win for you and the seller.

and also failed to mention the worst part of what Rambo found with the soft spots in the floor

cbryan70
04-13-2012, 01:36 PM
hey, did you even get up on a ski that weekend there pal?

I skied behind HB's boat, I surfed Jeff and Lances boat, I helped blow up Lakeys boat, I faced planted on Jeffs boat going platform to platform and I drank heavily. It was a successful weekend I beleive.

JohnnyB
04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
and also failed to mention the worst part of what Rambo found with the soft spots in the floor

A 2001 has a wood floor?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

MIskier
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
A 2001 has a wood floor?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

No, but as the foam beneath the fiberglass breaks down it begins to cause soft spots since the fiberglass in the floor is not meant to support a persons weight without the foam.

ahhudgins
04-13-2012, 11:02 PM

Just from the obvious cosmetic damage, bottom paint, and crappy trailer, it would have to be a "freebie" for me to haul it away. I think you made the right decision.

I've mentioned before that my neighbor has a S&S (77-79?) that has been wasting away in a garage for about the last 10 years with electrical issues. At least it's in a garage. Hull is in great shape but I know nothing about the floor or stringers. I wouldn't attempt to start it without a rebuild first and he wouldn't even consider a 3K offer on the boat. The trailer was left in the woods when the boat used to run and it's a rusted mess. Some people are just thick headed.

mikeg205
04-14-2012, 05:48 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=76052&stc=1&d=1331077517

what's with the pylon condom?

Don't like anyone handling your post and rope?

hahaha...its for the Skylon pole...

pram
04-14-2012, 06:15 PM
I skied behind HB's boat, I surfed Jeff and Lances boat, I helped blow up Lakeys boat, I faced planted on Jeffs boat going platform to platform and I drank heavily. It was a successful weekend I beleive.

:lol:\

that was a fantastic weekend, can't say I remember you having a wipe out though

you did some footing as well did you not?