PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning

Rocketman
03-06-2012, 02:27 PM
I need to do a thorough cleaning of the carpet in my boat. Anyone have any tips for how to get it looking fresh and new? I was thinking just hose it down and then scrub it with a soft plastic brush and soapy water. I am sure you guys doing these resto projects have some ideas. Thanks.

Rocketman
03-06-2012, 02:28 PM
By the way the carpet is in great shape. Doesnt need to be replaced. Just cleaned.

Jeff d
03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Pressure wash at a coin operated car wash then extract most of the water with a wet/dry shop vac.

02ProstarSammyD
03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Pressure wash at a coin operated car wash then extract most of the water with a wet/dry shop vac.

x2. I usually throw some carpet cleaner in the mix, scrub the bad areas with a soft brissle brush, and let it clean the bilge area while its at it but for 2 bucks you are so fresh and clean. Try to let it sit in direct sunlight for a bit before you hop in. No matter how clean you think you are you'll track crap into that wet carpet

vrsc
03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Since getting all hard wood flooring in my home, I had been tempted to garage sale my very expensive carpet/steamer. I just use that with the some liquid cleaner dumped in and you won't believe the color of the water in the cleaner after using it on the boat

russlars
03-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I use a Bissell Little Green cleaner on my carpets. It works great and is easy to get into all of the little nooks and crannies. Someone on here suggested it to me a few years back and I have been very happy with it.

east tx skier
03-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Bucket of warm water and some regular Tide (no bleach). Work it into the carpet with a soft brush, then hose it into the bilge with high pressure attachment. Shop vac to dry and follow up with some sunshine.

Extra step is to work some fabric softener and water into the carpet after cleaning and rinsing, but before drying. Let it sit an hour or so. Then, rinse. Then dry. Fluffs it up a bit.

Rocketman
03-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks guys. I will give these a try. I appreciate the advice.

ntidsl
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I will send before and after pics in a few weeks. I will be doing the same thing, cleaning carpets. My plan is this. Tide, fabric softener and a scrub brush after soaking the carpet. Then my shop vac instead though to get moisture out. Lastly, Stainguard. I hate to see the carpet under my engine lid fluffier than the rest...drives me crazy!!! I'll then ba able to use my green machine for monthly touch ups...man that water comes out brown every time I use it.

mattb
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm looking forward to doing this once it warms up here a little.

BrianT
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm looking forward to doing this once it warms up here a little.

I am with you on that..... spring is just around the corner here!

east tx skier
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I will send before and after pics in a few weeks. I will be doing the same thing, cleaning carpets. My plan is this. Tide, fabric softener and a scrub brush after soaking the carpet. Then my shop vac instead though to get moisture out. Lastly, Stainguard. I hate to see the carpet under my engine lid fluffier than the rest...drives me crazy!!! I'll then ba able to use my green machine for monthly touch ups...man that water comes out brown every time I use it.

Don't be stingy with the fabric softener. Mix it in a spray bottle with some water and give the carpet a good once over. If it doesn't fluff like new, what can I say, at least it smells amazingly good.

When I did it, I erred on the side of not much fabric softener and did not get much of a result.

JohnE
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I used to use a Rug Doctlor with little to no soap.

Stx221
03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I use a Bissell Little Green cleaner on my carpets. It works great and is easy to get into all of the little nooks and crannies. Someone on here suggested it to me a few years back and I have been very happy with it.

I'm with russlars as I had been recommended to use the Little Green for the car/truck carpets. I finally went out and bought one the other day and used it on the carpets in the Yukon that I recenly bought used. By sight, they were pretty dirty (to say the least). I was still amazed at the color of the dirty water that came out of the carpets. It was almost black, and the carpets are pretty darn clean now.

I am ready to do the carpets in the Prostar with it when its warm enough for them to dry afterwards.

ntidsl
07-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Gents,

This past weekend I took a hose, a spray bottle of fabric softener and a few beers into the boat. I soaked the carpet good....I mean real good then scrubbed the heck out of it with a scrub brush for a good half hour...then hosed it out as well as I could. Repeated...then sprayed a dose of fabric softener in a scrubbed that in. Then lightly hosed out the excess. I then dried rigorously with 3 beach towels to further fluff...I was wore out!!! Tow hours of hosing, scrubbing and drinking

Three hours of intense sun and heat later I couldn't tell the difference between the carlet under the doghouse and the carpet that used to be trampled flat.

So excited!!!

BTW...the bilge was immaculate when I was done!

macattack
07-11-2012, 09:39 AM

It wasn't immaculate before you started?:D mac

ntidsl
07-11-2012, 11:30 AM
The carpet wasn't!!! Eight year old loves getting out of a muddy river soaking wet, running to front of boat and jump off the bow...boats are for fun right? There must be balance between OCD and fun. If he has friends with us though...they have to stay on platform.

ntidsl
07-15-2012, 12:07 PM
So after a week of drying and no use the carpet looks better than when I bought the boat...fluffy, smells amazing, and honestly I cannot tell a difference between the carpet under the dog house and the carpet that constantly gets trampled.

I'm pysched...my forearms still hurt a bit from the scrubbing though, but it was worth it!!!

macattack
07-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Hey Ntidsl...great job! It's encouraging we can make our 7 yr old carpet look/smell brand new! mac

patrhodes
07-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I second the little Bissell machine. When I told my wife I wanted one to clean the boat carpet she ran right out and bought it for me! It worked extremely well! I plan on doing this every season!

sp00ky
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I second the little Bissell machine. When I told my wife I wanted one to clean the boat carpet she ran right out and bought it for me! It worked extremely well! I plan on doing this every season!

The stand-up model actually fit on each side of the engine cover and walkway of my 205. Worked great

curtish
08-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Gents,

This past weekend I took a hose, a spray bottle of fabric softener and a few beers into the boat. I soaked the carpet good....I mean real good then scrubbed the heck out of it with a scrub brush for a good half hour...then hosed it out as well as I could. Repeated...then sprayed a dose of fabric softener in a scrubbed that in. Then lightly hosed out the excess. I then dried rigorously with 3 beach towels to further fluff...I was wore out!!! Tow hours of hosing, scrubbing and drinking

Three hours of intense sun and heat later I couldn't tell the difference between the carlet under the doghouse and the carpet that used to be trampled flat.

So excited!!!

Nice! Would love to get that new carpet feel back again. Have to try the softener next time I give it a good cleaning.

Redstorm
08-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Gents,

So excited!!!

So...am I reading this right? U can take a hose to the interior carpet, soak it and let it drain down to the bildge with out doing any damage. I have an 01 205 v. With all my previouse boats( I/0s) it ruins the floor. A lot of marine plywood. Is this safe to do w/ a mc? THANKS!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:: confused:

mdo817
08-08-2012, 04:17 AM
So...am I reading this right? U can take a hose to the interior carpet, soak it and let it drain down to the bildge with out doing any damage. I have an 01 205 v. With all my previouse boats( I/0s) it ruins the floor. A lot of marine plywood. Is this safe to do w/ a mc? THANKS!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:: confused:

Yes it is safe, there is no wood in your MC.

maristardd
08-08-2012, 04:28 AM
> no wood

The left/right interior side panels on my 94 Maristar are wood, and with all the different mounting studs aligned to the hull, I have to think they are stock/original. Is there a year where Mastercraft went totally wood-free? Or does wood-free mainly refer to structural things like stringers/floor/etc?

ntidsl
08-08-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't have an ounce of wood on my boat so its safe for me.

mdo817
08-09-2012, 12:47 AM
I was speaking of the floor and stringers

Redstorm
08-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks mdo817. Carpet seems to have tons of crap in it from the prior owner. Oils...etc. no matter how much I wash it, it never seems clean. It needs a good wash and rinse and I am going to try the fabric softener.

MC209
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM
warm water, soap, bristle brush, elbow greese!

Pickwick
09-30-2013, 03:21 PM

What type of brush? Is a hard bristle bad for the carpet?

CC2MC
10-01-2013, 03:07 PM
> no wood

The left/right interior side panels on my 94 Maristar are wood, and with all the different mounting studs aligned to the hull, I have to think they are stock/original. Is there a year where Mastercraft went totally wood-free? Or does wood-free mainly refer to structural things like stringers/floor/etc?

You are correct, but unless the side panels are immersed under the water, then getting a little wet will not matter as long as they dry out. The main concern would be the wood on the floor in a boat but they went to all fiberglass in the early 80s iirc. Mine is an 03 and it has no wood but I am not sure when they started using the starboard and plastic material on the side panels and seat substrates.