PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you??

lanep82
03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Ok, so I decided that yesterday afternoon I was going to lower my boat in the water (it's on a hoist @ marina), start 'er up and take 'er for a spin to make sure everything's working properly.

TX MC winterized my boat for me back in October and told me it was 'Spring ready' and that all I had to do was lower it in water, have a full battery and crank it up.

Well, I turned the key and the engine started to turn over. It sounded normal. I had a trickle charger on it most winter so I know the batteries were in good shape. The fuel guage wasn't reading any fuel so I thought MAYBE there wasn't any fuel in the boat. So I went to store and picked up a 5 gallon gas tank and filled it up. Put that in the boat and the damn thing still wouldn't start...............

Then I looked down, under the throttle..............the red safety lanyard was missing. TX MC must've taken it off and put it in glove box b/c that's where it was. Wow did I feel dumb.........

Started up like a dream and ran great after I got that little problem fixed! LOL

BrooksfamX2
03-06-2012, 09:08 AM
That has never happened to anybody before..........8p

willyt
03-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Nope. Never forgot the lanyard... Only about 20 times.

scott023
03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Hasn't happened to me. Yet. I'm quite sure it will though.

2RLAKE
03-06-2012, 09:49 AM
that is one of the best jokes to pull on someone ... especially at a marina for happy hour ... amazing how long it takes some people to figure that out that one ... but i would never myself do that to someone, that would be downright mean

gts-20
03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Nope, sure didn't happen this past Sunday @ about 10:00 am sitting on the trailer, in the water at the ramp......took me about 5 frantic minutes to figure it out.

jbkriss
03-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Man, that is the worst. When it happened to me, I went all the way to Walmart, bought a new battery, put it in. When it still didn't start, it finally dawned on me that it was the safety switch. Man did I feel like a chump.

jdl xstar
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
that is one of the best jokes to pull on someone ... especially at a marina for happy hour ... amazing how long it takes some people to figure that out that one ... but i would never myself do that to someone, that would be downright mean

Ha ha! Thats a good idea! You may not do that but I will for sure!! I'll let my friends have that sense of panic for a minute or two before I come in and save the day!

HMF007
03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Happened to me down in Rockport when I rented a Mowdy to fish in. Told the guy I had been around boats my whole life and go boating weekly on Lake Travis so he left me the key so I could leave before sunrise. I got to the boat while it was still dark, started it so it could warm up. It started fine. Loaded everything up and pulled away from the dock. About 100 yrds out it died. Couldnít figure it out for the lift of me. Swam it back to the dock and called the guy. He had to get out of bed and come help. He walked up plugged the kill switch in and fired it up. Man I felt like an idiot. There were no excuses I was the definition of a renter. In my defense the boat started without the kill switch and that's what threw me off. Must have been corroded.

:uglyhamme

DemolitionMan
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
I have not had that happen yet.8p

wakescene
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
LOL, This has (cough) NEVER happened to me at the boat ramp, the dock or out on the beach we have hangout at. Never I tell you, never, never, never...

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
This has never happened to me..............my boat is old enough to not have one.:D

I have to rely on launching the boat without the plug for excitement - this hasn't happened.......yet.

02ProstarSammyD
03-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I have never trailered the boat 100+ miles, pulled the boat off the trailer, and gone...........CRAP its sitting on the kitchen table. NEVER!

Sodar
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I did this on my '96 about 3 months into owning it. I went a few steps further and went around with the voltage tester trying to figure out what had gone wrong. After about 30 minutes of sweating it, I noticed the lanyard was not completely installed.

I am man enough to admit I am a retard! :uglyhamme

SkiDog
03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
There are 2 kinds of boaters. Those that have forgotten their lanyard, and those that are going to forget their lanyard!:D:D:D

lanep82
03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Nope, sure didn't happen this past Sunday @ about 10:00 am sitting on the trailer, in the water at the ramp......took me about 5 frantic minutes to figure it out.

I bet that was FUNNY to watch.

Double D
03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Never happened to me but I will pay for it when it does since my brother did it on his Nautique and I busted his chops all day. :).

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

Patrick Hardy
03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Happens to every boat owner to some degree sooner or later. That is why I wrap the lanyard around the steering wheel when I do not use my boat during the winter. It just helps in reminding you to hook it back on.

O2BESOHUGE
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Just Wait Till You Forget The Plug One Day! My Wife Thought We Were Going Down Like The Titanic! We Were In The Middle Of The Lake And Wheni Saw Water, I Immediately Knew What It Was. I Just Raised The Engine Cover And Put The Plug In And Turned On The Bilge Pump.

No Biggie! My Wife Screwed Up My Routine And Through Me Off On My Prep...! It Was All Her Fault!! :)

02ProstarSammyD
03-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Just Wait Till You Forget The Plug One Day!

Then some people will call your boat "unplugged" for the rest of the season. Other things forgotten on a boat by me
1) plug
2) lanyard
3) actually forgot boards once
4) towels
5) left the cooler sitting at the gas station ONCE!
6) gas
7) ipod
8) handles and ropes
9) beer on the counter a few times
10) shoes for wakeskate like 92 times

thatsmrmastercraft
03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I did manage to leave the boat keys sitting on my workbench. Fortunately we always keep a spare set in my son's wakeboard gear bag.

kingwoodlee
03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Three weeks ago, pulled the X-10 home, hooked up the water hose, turned it on, and cranked the engine over, and over, and over. Stopped and scratched my head. Figured that the fuel lines must have drained down, so spun the engine over and over again. Finally noticed the gauges were not working at all and the "dimly lit light bulb" in my brain went off and realized the problem. My lanyard was plugged in but when I barely moved it, all the gauges fired up. it started right up after that, but when i barely bumped the lanyard switch, everthing shut down. The switch ended up having gone bad. I've had the boat for three years and never unplugged the lanyard. I guess they go bad after 7 years of non-use. Ordered one from Ski-dim and changed it out a week later. It was funny as I had forgot I had cut a hole in the plastic panel under the aluminum plate with the Mastercraft label, back when I first bought the boat as the entire panel was loose due to the upper mouting screws pulling thru.(a common problem) So when I pulled the metal panel off to start removing the entire armrest pane,l I remembered I had already supplied an access hole. I reached in, and swapped out the switch in less than 2 minutes. Sometimes it pays to plan ahead.

Iskidaily
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I did it several years ago. On a very busy ramp on a Saturday morning. That sure was a humbling experience!

millpondkid
03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Hasn't happened on the boat yet, but I did try and kick start my dirt bike for about 5 min before realizing the kill switch was on. duh....I think its funny when I do dumb stuff like that.

Thrall
03-06-2012, 06:29 PM
This has never happened to me..............my boat is old enough to not have one.:D

I have to rely on launching the boat without the plug for excitement - this hasn't happened.......yet.

I get both means of excitement. Was a funny morning the time I left out the rear plug!

MC really didn't think over the lanyard location on the newer boats. Real easy to knock the clip off when putting down your "beverage" in the cup holder.
Knocked the lanyard off doin abotu 40mph, right while I was passing a fish cop on Lake Powell, putting my "beverage" down. Thought for sure he was going to checkout while I acted so abruptly and it was not the timeof day for a "safety check". DIsconnected the sucker after that and just leave it dummied in place.

mikeg205
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
There are 2 kinds of boaters. Those that have forgotten their lanyard, and those that are going to forget their lanyard!:D:D:D

+1 on that....at least you didn't forget your hull plug.... :D.... that's another one you'll only do once too :D

buddy had a mechanic and inspect starter switch....the mechanic and friend both failed to check for lanyard... oh...mechanic still charged $150 for time spent... now there's some boating tuition.... lol...:D

DJ 50
03-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Haven't forgot the lanyard but I did try to start it once and it wouldn't turn over. Messed around with it for a bit before I figured out it was in gear. Or my favorite dumb moment when I first got my boat and went to put it in the water for the first time. Got it in the water and started it right up. I tired to pull of the trailer and it wouldn't budge. Tried several times gave it plenty of gas and still nothing. Pulled it out and insepcted it some and found nothing. Backed back in and tried again and still couldn't get it off. After several attempts and 4 diffrent people looking at it, I found out that MaterCraft puts that wonderful lock on the trailer, boat caddy maybe? I will tell you one thing for sure, that thing holds very well. My wife laughed her a$$ of at me that day.

03geetee
03-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Only reason I havent is because my boat doesnt have one.

LOL!

JTR

zpacheco
03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
It's happened to me out on the water. We were having a good time wakeboarding. Went back to pick up the skier and the boat wouldn't start after he got in. We looked at everything, then I looked down at the safety switch and it was loose gave it a push and it started right up, and I felt like an idiot!

Jeff Lyman
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
How many of you actualy use the lanyard? I ski with many people with many different boats and NEVER seen anyone rap it to their arm. Our boat had starting problems for months and found it was the lanyard. Took it out and conected the wires never to be a problem again. What a pain in the a**.

I can see it on the TT boats but just another part to break on our average boats, leave them off MC.

JohnnyB
03-10-2012, 03:42 AM
My lanyard switch failed on the water 2 years ago...I bypassed it to get back to the dock and haven't gone back to fix it yet ;)

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

BrooksfamX2
03-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Luckily (its really not luck, but my OCD) in 30 years of boating I have never forgot the plug or had the kill switch issue. Never had a flat tire or trailer wheel bearing fail either and we tow everywhere. Not saying it will never happen, but I painfully try not to put my self in that position......:rolleyes:

LittleFuss
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM
nope never happened...never forgotten to put in plug either...<----- LIES

SilviaMan
03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
I haven't forgotten the plug yet and the 76 doesn't have a lanyard.
But,
Over the years I'm sure the fresh water pick up has been changed a bit. Used to have a filter installed on it... but I digress.
When getting the boat ready in the driveway for the first trip I stick the garden hose in the impeller pump pick up hose and run the boat to make sure she's gonna cooperate when we get to the lake.
So last year we get to the lake and get moving maybe 100 yards from the ramp and my fiance asks me what the water in the back of the boat is from. I turn around and look and I've got the floor on the drivers side flooded. Then it hits me... I forgot to put the darn hose back on the fresh water pick up! The ole bilge pump got a work out that day! (fortunately I always put my "boat tool kit" in before we leave the house!)

jeffbare
03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
About 8 years ago my wife and I were looking for a boat. We arranged to meet the guy on Lake Washington, to see it, and test drive it. He drove 1.5 hours to get it from storage, and back to meet us. We looked it over, then decided to put it in the water for a spin. Tried and tried to get it started, nothing. He took it back the 1.5 hours to storage, went back the next weekend, pulled the carbs, rebuilt them, and then drove back up to his storage another 1.5 hours and re-installed the carbs. The whole time, the only thing wrong was that he hadnít attached the kill switch. He called me 2 weeks later to see if I was still interested. I had bought a better boat. Good for me, not so good for him.

AZX9
03-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Lanyard issue for me was on a busy holiday weekend. Boat comes of the trailer and is right in everyones way and won't start. Had to swim the boat over to the dock out of the way like a moron.

Right after I moved to Denver from Az I took the bot out for a test spin. I had a 26.5 foot I/O with a duo prop. If anyone's been to Chatfield on the weekend they know how busy the ramps get with inexperienced boaters who take forever. Like usual we launched the boat and the wife parked the truck and trailer. Took her forever to get back to the dock to get picked up. We tooled out of the no wake and I hammered the throttle on my 8.1 liter Volvo. It sounded like and felt like I was tied to a concrete pilar and did not get up on plane. I thought wholly crap I know I might need to get a high altitude prop but at the very least it should get on plane. So figuring the weekend was shot I headed to the ramp and dropped off the wife to get the trailer. Did I mention it was busy! On top of being busy the fire dept. had the second ramp closed as a base camp for a drowning recovery team looking for missing bodies. So I waited and waited for the wife's turn to back the trailer in. A this point i had been in the water a good half hour. Pulled the boat on the trailer and clicked on the winch. Gave the wife the go ahead to pull out. I noticed that my diesel truck was having an unusually hard time pulling the boat out of the water. As we pulled up off the ramp and the wife stopped I could hear water pouring out the back drain. I opened the engine hatch and saw an ocean. Turned on the bilge that had a stuck automatic function that was not working. I spent 15 minutes with the plug out and the bilge on draining water out of the boat. I would have never guessed I could go that long with no plug in the boat.