PDA

View Full Version : Slide in oven recommendations / advice

Ben
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Pretty "off topic", but looking for any advice. Looking to replace standard sized slide in oven w/convection model. No massive Viking commercial for our little kitchen at this point. Maybe $500-1000? Maybe a bit more?

Unforunately, we don't have space for a true double built in, but I've seen the ones with the main oven + the short stubby 2nd oven as well. Anyone use those, or is that a gimmick? This is the main question I have.

I'm thinking Depot or Lowe's is as good as anywhere else. Will check costco too.

Currently have electric, may prefer gas burners, not sure if electric or gas oven. I have gas really close, so not a big deal.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-06-2012, 12:20 AM
With the lack of space your talking about i would suggest a single oven with the other space being a microwave. btw convection ovens are very pricey alot more than the 1k you want

onewheat
03-06-2012, 12:23 AM
We had a double oven in our last house and I loved it. I am ordering a stubby double for our house we are building, hoping it is as nice, but I have no experience with one. I also would rather cook on a gas burner than an electric ANY DAY, but have always had electric ovens, so can't comment on gas ovens, but I have heard electric ovens are the way to go.

psychobilly
03-06-2012, 07:21 AM
I have a maytag and it's the stuff. It's a double oven and cook top, all gas. It's nice around the holidays.

pmkkdx
03-06-2012, 09:21 AM
when we do major appliance shopping, we always check out Sears too ... they have all the major brands and often (not always) have salespeople that know the various products pros/cons and can offer valuable recommendations.

snork
03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Go Kitchenaid. What I can tell is you want a slide in range, if so get what they refer to a Dual Fuel 907
Theres no way however to get anything in the price you're wanting to spend

Ben
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for tips so far. Maybe I am off in terminology. I meant "freestanding" type of slide in, the typical oven you see in most low to mid level houses. I have a microwave mounted above the oven, so that is all set.

Sears is a good thought.

Main decisions are the double oven thing, and gas vs electric. I agree gas top and electric bottom seems nice, not sure if that is an option w/o getting really fancy. I've never had a gas oven, need to consult with the primary operator on that. I am the "consumer".

Price range was more of a guess. I can go higher if required, although I doubt I'd go to $2K.

NU-skier
03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
We checked around and Sears was the lowest price. Every time someone (Lowes etc) or Sears had a lower price within 90 days of purchase, they would credit us that amount.
Don't think electric is slow like it was back when we had carbs on our engines. Our glass top responds fast, both on increase and decrease temp changes. We opted for one that has the speed burner and griddle settings and love it. Installed it last year.
Not so sold on the convection oven micro combo that looks just like the prior picture. Slow to heat up (8-9) minutes and the unit has a blower that runs even on standard bake. That blower runs forever after its shut off to cool it down. First one was defective and had to be replaced. Bummer bc it was a self install so we got to redo the hardest one for free.
(kenmore stovetop and whirlpool oven)

Ski-me
03-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Sorry, but I've been shopping Appliances heavily over the past few months.....

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KDSS907SSS.html
$1706 Dual Fuel

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/KDRS505XSS.html
$1816 Dual Fuel

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FPDS3085KF.html
$1706 Dual Fuel

Not bad......All 3 have convection ovens too.

02ProstarSammyD
03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I got a samsung. Its not a double but they do make one now that actually converts to 2 areas inside the main area. I would consider that the tits. Mine has been great though.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_120036-149-FTQ353IWUX_4294801846+4294963507_46_?productId=305 0153&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sale s_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Samsung_4294801846%2B4294963507_4 6_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_pro duct_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=Samsung#BVRRWidgetID

Think I paid like 599 or 699 when it was on sale. Appliances are always on sale somewhere