PDA

View Full Version : Good Combo Skis?

Stx221
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Can anybody recommend a good set of Combo Skis?
Hopefully something that wont break the bank too badly!

They will be used by just about anybody. I think 67" is the length I will be looking for, just based on the weights/heights of the people that will primarily (me) be using them.

Thanks in advance!

corey
03-05-2012, 06:22 PM
If you are using them for teaching I really like the H.O. Blast combos. They are a little wider than the older skis for quicker starts.

GT500 MC
03-05-2012, 06:31 PM
If you are using them for teaching I really like the H.O. Blast combos. They are a little wider than the older skis for quicker starts.

x2 for the Blast's. For approx. $150, they are a great, inexpensive ski to have in the boat for the beginners and getting that confidence of being on top of the water.

BrooksfamX2
03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
I have the O'Brien Performer combos. They are pretty good. Have had several pairs over the years.......

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OBrien-Performer-Combo-Water-Skis&i=37748&str=obrien+performer+combo+skis&merchID=4005

mikeg205
03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
HO Blast...x3...

davidstan
03-05-2012, 08:03 PM
We have a combo set from HO for guests and have been very durable the last 10 yrs. I would go HO if I had to buy again today.

east tx skier
03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I have the O'Brien Performer combos. They are pretty good. Have had several pairs over the years.......

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OBrien-Performer-Combo-Water-Skis&i=37748&str=obrien+performer+combo+skis&merchID=4005

That's basically what we have. A family member has the wider skis and while they make getting up easy, they're nearly impossible to ride.

ahhudgins
03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
I got my last set of Connellys from my neighbor's yard sale for around $20 and they looked brand new.

Doesn't matter how much you pay for a set of combos, people still pull their arms in and fall on their @ss the first time they cross the wake. :D

hewlett6621
03-07-2012, 04:08 AM
I got my last set of Connellys from my neighbor's yard sale for around $20 and they looked brand new.

Doesn't matter how much you pay for a set of combos, people still pull their arms in and fall on their @ss the first time they cross the wake. :D

So so true. Happens all the time so funny. My Kidder Hotline combos are twenty years old and still work great.

Stx221
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks to all that have responded! The HO Blast seems to be highly regarded on here.

That's basically what we have. A family member has the wider skis and while they make getting up easy, they're nearly impossible to ride.

I do like this kind of information, and i must say that this site certainly is able to provide quite a bit of it!

While I am looking for an all around good combo ski, a set that someone can "grow into" (basic slalom-wise) is also something I am looking for. I know they will never be as good as a true slalom ski, but I don't think I will have anyone with me that will be good enough to need that. Just want something that will work for most everyone across the board, either on one ski or two. Hopefully that isn't too much to ask!

Any other suggestions from you guys?

Also, not that this is where I would buy them, but if the Blast's are good combo skis, would these be better for what I am looking to get out of them?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_990578_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=990578

mwg
03-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Also, not that this is where I would buy them, but if the Blast's are good combo skis, would these be better for what I am looking to get out of them?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_990578_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=990578

I picked up a set of Pinnacles from Grizzly Sports for $70.. ask around most pro shops will have old/discontinued skis around that they will sell cheap.

Patrick
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
I have a pair of pinnacles. As combo's they've been fine (though I haven't used them much personally). They've seemed to be pretty easy to get up on and aren't like some of the super wide ones that are impossible to ski. The bindings seem to have a pretty wide range of sizes being "good enough", though I did have one woman out with very small feet that they seemed to be too big for.

We have had lots of people over the years learn to slalom on combos, and the I'm sure pinnacle's are just as good or likely better(easier) than any of the other combos we've used in the past. Still, my wife (who had only recently learned to get up on one ski), said she had a lot more trouble starting on the single pinnacle vs. a bigger shaped slalom ski we have. The slalom ski was much more stable for her both in getting up and while riding. On the same larger/wider ski I have had a couple people get up on 1 ski for their very first time in 1-3 attempts.

So that being said, if you have it in the budget (and room in the ski locker/etc), maybe try to save on what you can in the combos, and if you have people that would rather slalom, pick up a used or discounted (older model) ski designed for beginners. What I have is a 69" HO comp free ride. 69s are usually for larger people but all that surface area will make it easier for beginners to get up and learn to ride. perfski.com has a closeout 2010 for 149 (blank, so no bindings). You could also probably find a used one with bindings on ski-it-again, or get a blank ski and buy a used binding & rear toe plate.

vrsc
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
HO blasts!