PDA

View Full Version : Trailer axle

mccobmd
03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I have my trailer up on jack stands with the wheels off the ground. The back axle wheels spin freely but the front axle wheels spin with resistance. The front wheels have the brakes on them. Should they spin freely or not? Is there something I should check?

sam196370
05-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Since you have done the hard part - getting it on jack stands - I'd pull the hubs on both front/rear axles, check/adjust brake pads and while you're in there replace all bearings which are usually cheap & easy. Unless someone recently replaced/adjusted the brake pads I'd guess the bearings are starting to go and that is why you are experiencing resistance.

Trust me that you don't want a bearing to fail - happened on my single axle trailer and as a result the inner bearing had to be cut off (pita) and I'm waiting for delivery of a new axle since bearing parts chewed up spindle badly.

lt14me
05-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Agree, you do not want a bearing failure, it happenend to me last year on my tandem, the bearing seperated from the race, and rounded out my spindle and hub which is welded to the axle, luckily it happened close tothe boat ramp so I could launch and then work on the trailer.. I was told that trailer maintenance is as important as the boat's engine and the most ignored by owners.

Table Rocker
05-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I have my trailer up on jack stands with the wheels off the ground. The back axle wheels spin freely but the front axle wheels spin with resistance. The front wheels have the brakes on them. Should they spin freely or not? Is there something I should check?Disc brakes are going to have some drag. You can compress the piston a little so they don't drag and then spin the wheel to see how the bearings feel.