PDA

View Full Version : slotted/drilled rotors

ahhudgins
03-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Has anyone replaced stock truck rotors with drilled/slotted rotors? If so, did they last longer and can you recommend a good name brand? I dropped $250 for Napa high performance rotors and they are trash...I'm taking them back Monday morning. I opened one box when I picked them up and it looked OK to me. After installing everything on the left side, I opened up the box for the right side and it is FUBAR. The right side has no counter bore on one side of the rotor, and the other side went to deep. It looks like the kid who ran the CNC (made in China) feel asleep when the bit drug across the rotor face. As I looked closer at the left rotor, I noticed that the drill pattern was not consistent either.
My 97 F150 has rear drum brakes so my front rotors don't seem to last very long IMO.
I don't mind paying good money for good parts!

Jeff d
03-04-2012, 09:13 PM
I got some brakemotive ones off ebay last year for my dodge. They were a good price and made a small improvement over stock. I believe the brakemotive blanks are from china but they are milled in detroit. They have a good reputation on the dodge and mustang forums.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
I've used the power stop cross drilled rotors from summitracing for my '90 & '06 f-150 no problems with either set, and they run much cooler on the 06 no more warped rotors, also went with ebc greenstuff pads much less brake dust than oem pads and they seem to stop firmer.

JRW160
03-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I have some drilled and slotted rotors on my titan. I ordered them from r1concepts.com. They were around $150 for the set. The older titans have undersized brakes, and I had a lot of trouble with regular rotors warping. I have 23k on these rotors and don't have anything to complain about.

jk13
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I've used and sold customers a few of the EBC rotors and they've been pretty good. I have their black USR slotted on one of my current vehicles and have used their gold slotted and dimpled rotors in the past. I stay away from rotors that are cross drilled because I've seen too many cracked between the holes. Slotted and/or dimpled IMO seem to be less prone to cracking.

Jerseydave
03-04-2012, 10:46 PM
The only thing I can add is make sure your rear drum brakes are adjusted properly. This will help make your front brakes work less hard.

Skywalker
03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
http://www.sp-performance.com/
Check out the Diamond slotted rotors on here, towing applications and drilled rotors really isnt a good idea because the excess heat can cause the rotors to develope small cracks and ultimately fail. The diamond ones are the ones I have on my 2004 Dodge ram and they are better than anything I have ever tryed!

ahhudgins
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I just “assumed” that the high dollar drilled rotors would be better, but after reading everyone’s suggestions and doing a little research, I think I will go with a slotted/dimpled rotor. At least now I have a good starting point rather than looking over 10,000 Google results. I’m just tired of wasting time and money on cheap parts.

I’ve already replaced all of the rear hardware and it all looked like normal wear.

Skywalker
03-06-2012, 07:25 AM
If you get the sp rotors that have the silver coating make sure to get all the paint out of the dimpels and slots, I know it sais that you don't have to but trust me, if you dont brake dust will getr trapped in the paint and cause the rotors to wear reallt fast!

d2jp
03-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I found the biggest difference in brake performance was in the quality of the pads and the 'bed-in' procedure. At the advice of my SnapOn guy, I purchased this rotor hone (http://www.flexhone.com/) and cleaned/honed the rotors before install. Then I followed the 'bed-in' procedure I found on TireRacks (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85) website for my pads. I started doing this several years (and various cars) ago - makes a big difference right from the get-go. You're in central VA right? Welcome to borrow the hone if you'd like!
Jack

ahhudgins
03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I found the biggest difference in brake performance was in the quality of the pads and the 'bed-in' procedure. At the advice of my SnapOn guy, I purchased this rotor hone (http://www.flexhone.com/) and cleaned/honed the rotors before install. Then I followed the 'bed-in' procedure I found on TireRacks (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85) website for my pads. I started doing this several years (and various cars) ago - makes a big difference right from the get-go. You're in central VA right? Welcome to borrow the hone if you'd like!
Jack

Thanks for the offer and the info. I put my stock rotors back on and I guess I'll wait until mid April before I replace them. I will start hauling the boat to the lake in a few weeks and it will be mid April before I park it at the lake for the summer. That way I won't be hauling on new rotors.